PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid noob Q about manual TDC

MikeJW
04-12-07, 08:57 PM
I tried for the first time tonight to try manual TDC in the training mission. Wasnt as hard as I had thought and with the American TDC it wasnt too hard to guess AOB. Now for my dumb question: when do you know its time to shoot? In SH3 you wanted to fire when the gyros were within 005 and on easy TDC in 4 it's when the triangle turns green. What am I looking for with manual TDC?

AVGWarhawk
04-13-07, 09:08 AM
I tried for the first time tonight to try manual TDC in the training mission. Wasnt as hard as I had thought and with the American TDC it wasnt too hard to guess AOB. Now for my dumb question: when do you know its time to shoot? In SH3 you wanted to fire when the gyros were within 005 and on easy TDC in 4 it's when the triangle turns green. What am I looking for with manual TDC?

You want to fire torps when you know your solution is as accurate as possible. The question is really, how close? I get to within 1500 yards are better. This will compensate for any slight miscalculation in your solution...this one usually being speed.

Egan
04-13-07, 09:16 AM
Speed is the killer and AVGWarhawk is right, the best way to compensate for that is to be as close as possible. I usually hold off until I'm at 1000 yards or less and at that range, you can be a couple of knots of and still hit, (usually.)

AVGWarhawk
04-13-07, 09:19 AM
:yep::up:

Linavitch
04-13-07, 09:42 AM
The Position keeper on the left of the attack screen has a graphical representation of the torpedo course on the lower of the two dials (the upper dial showing relative bearing IIRC)

So when the bottom dial shows a straight line shot that is when you should shoot. (and hopefully you top dial will show 90 AOB)

Sometimes the solution shows on the attack map too but recently I seem to have lost the torpedo line from mine.

EDIT- Scroll down the forum alittle to "Yet another TDC question" and there is a thread about this very thing.