PDA

View Full Version : Semi auto map update / TDC

Bulleye
04-11-07, 10:58 AM
Right now we have only two options as far as the map goes.

1. Automatic map update.
2. No map updates.

No. 1 makes things too easy, it basically makes the game into a 3d person sub shooter.

No. 2 has you screw..., ehm., propelloring around too much updating contacts manually.

What about a 3rd. option?
A form of semi-manual updating.
What I mean is, you (as captain) take baering and range readings through the scope or TBT. And 'the crew' updates the map for you. What else have you got a crew for?

This way you dont have too fiddle around updating the map yourself, i.e. you can spend more time in places wich are more important to a commander like the bridge, scope etc.
But it wouldnt make things too easy either, the map would only be as accurate as your readings.

This method could also be applied to the TDC. You take the bearing and range, the crew does the rest. I cant imagine a real sub skipper doing everything by himself.

I hope sombody from the dev. team will read this. (Or someone who can put turn this into a mod.)

tater
04-11-07, 02:31 PM
GREAT idea, and really needed, IMO. As skipper I want to do no more than call out bearing. Mark! Range. Mark! Then I can go in and tweak/check the TDC if I want.

I'd also like to PLOT the enemy ships I specifically observe on the map. In ink. We have contact reports from radio traffic (even underwater :roll: ) marked as if they were hand written, I want a hand-plot. So when I put the cross hais on the merchant and hit the "bearing" key, that bearing gets penciled in. When i get the range, a mark for the target (with the time) get penciled in. Next time I do it, the crew can connect the dots. I want my log to contain these marks so I can go back and see my charted record of the engagement.

THAT would be cool.

John Channing
04-11-07, 03:01 PM
I always thought that, for the most part, the way Sonalysts handled it was cool. The map would reflect your inputs, not necessarily reality.

So with SH4 you would get the range and bearing and hit "Mark" ( or, in this case, send it to the TDC) and a ship marker would show up on the map at that position. Then, after your second observation, a second marker but for the same ship, would be plotted on the map at the coordinates you sent to the TDC. You would then use the Map Tools to plot the course and speed, calculate the AOB, enter that in the TDC and you're off to the races. If your calculations were correct then you would hit the ship, if not, start again. Only the ships you sent data on would show up in the map.

At a lower difficulty level, and if you wanted to simulate the plot team, they could calculate the ship speed for you and enter the data into the TDC.

A boy can dream, can he?

JCC

Prof
04-11-07, 03:08 PM
This is something I've wanted for ages! Plotting targets on the map manually is a fiddly, time consuming job that no real skipper would have done.

I was very excited when I noticed that the current TDC solution was marked on the attack map, but disappointed when I discovered that only the latest range/bearing is displayed, meaning that it's impossible to use range and bearing observations to determine speed and course.

This is the one final thing which would make the Silent Hunter series perfect for me :up:

jmr
04-11-07, 11:13 PM
Aye this is something I've always wanted as well.

Blood_splat
04-12-07, 08:08 AM
I wish they could put this in.