PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder why the patch isn't out yet

codmander
04-11-07, 10:56 AM
they must be havin some serious problems tryin to fix sh4 ,, Either that or they just said --o well--better luck next time:shifty: Hope I am dead wrong of course:smug:

SteamWake
04-11-07, 10:58 AM
SOON

:rock:

Seminole
04-11-07, 11:09 AM
I have it on the best authority that the Patch will be released in 2 weeks.

Biggles
04-11-07, 11:10 AM
or they try to fix as many stuff as possible in this patch? have faith my young one!:know:

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 11:11 AM
Fortunate for me I like to look at the brighter side of things.....since the game was released prematurely and with many bugs, I suspect the developers want to delivery the best most complete patch of known issues and things that they were not able to put on the original gold version. That how I see it. Then again I wear rosy colored glasses.:sunny:

Mr. Sunshine

fredbass
04-11-07, 11:12 AM
they must be havin some serious problems tryin to fix sh4 ,, Either that or they just said --o well--better luck next time:shifty: Hope I am dead wrong of course:smug:

It's only been 3 weeks since the last patch, so I don't know why you would make a comment like that. I say the longer it takes, the better they do in getting it as right as possible.

Calbeck
04-11-07, 11:12 AM
Oh come on, let's do this the proper NAVAL way:

"SHADDAP, ya bastids! I hear one more crack about th' patch outta yer pieholes, you'll be pulling barnacles off th' @$$ end o' this boat! Any o' you bunch don't savvy, speak up now so's I can getcher work schedule laid up proper! When we gotta patch, th' Old Man'll tell us, so ain't no use bellyachin' anyhow! Now get back ta yer damn stations!" -:D

Sailor Steve
04-11-07, 11:14 AM
Ever wonder why trolls who refuse to even give the game a chance have nothing better to do than bother people with attack posts?

Maybe they're taking the time to fix everything they can.

CCIP
04-11-07, 11:15 AM
Yea, you're jumping the gun here. These things don't get built in one day!

I think I'd rather prefer to wait for an all-around-fixing patch, than have an incomplete one immediately.

Personally, of course, I wish large companies would adopt more flexible patching systems, with small but frequent patches, but these would be very inconvenient for the 'joe skipper' public. :hmm:

Biggles
04-11-07, 11:23 AM
Always look at the bright side of life...(whistle)

I quote from the message the SHIV dev team gave us skippers:

"We have strong hopes it will include both Anti-Aliasing and a fix for the issues experienced when running the game in very high resolutions."

Anti-Aliasing will most likely take some time to put in a patch, don't you think? And another thing: Those dev people are actual humans you know! They can't work their soddin' feet off just because a patch! I can only imagine how much effort there is to make a game.....completed or not.....

mookiemookie
04-11-07, 11:24 AM

Respectfully, why the hell do you even care? You've repeated ad nauseum in here about how horrible SH4 is and how glad you are you didn't buy it and etc. etc.

Seriously, why do you even post crap like this in here if you don't own the game and have stated that you have no intention of buying it?

John Channing
04-11-07, 11:26 AM
First they get nailed for "rushing the game out", then they get nailed for taking too long with the second patch.

I've said it before and I say it again... who wouldn't want to be a Sim Developer!

JCC

Fat Bhoy Tim
04-11-07, 12:43 PM
I've said it before and I say it again... who wouldn't want to be a Sim Developer!

JCC

Don't go around saying that in public, otherwise it might give EA some ideas for a challenging new 'Sims' expansion pack.

ReallyDedPoet
04-11-07, 12:54 PM
I think I'd rather prefer to wait for an all-around-fixing patch, than have an incomplete one immediately.

Agreed on that one:up: I think I read awhile back that even when it was launched that the devs said it was a work in progress. Lets be positive and hope the next patch addresses the current issues with the game:yep:

Sagan
04-11-07, 01:00 PM
Ubisoft is turning into EA.
Releasing unfinished games with bugs. I mark Battlefield 2 as an example.

Antrodemus
04-11-07, 01:20 PM
Ubisoft is turning into EA.

They aren't "turning into" anything. They're doing what any gargantuan, dollar-led company does when getting a product onto shop-shelves... doing it as quick as possible, and usually at the frustration of those who actually create it; the devs. I'm mighty pissed at the fact that SH4 was rushed out the door even sooner than might be expected, but I'm also looking forward to the day that I can embark on a patrol without having to worry about how often I save or whatever. I hate that I have to make that concession, but since I'm not at the helm of the good ship "Commerce", there ain't much I can do about it. :arrgh!:

codmander
04-11-07, 01:32 PM
Yawn:roll:

Deep Six
04-11-07, 01:32 PM
Patch v1.2 will be released when ready....The devs have already promised that it will try and fix AS MUCH as possible....I'm sure there watching and reading our "Bugs Thread" and probably changing there patch release as more Little quirky bugs that can be easily fixed are raised on these threads....To actually get the game to do AA probably means quite a hell o' lot of coding...same with the resolution fix..To biggies right there....

Me I'm gonna play the ass of this game in its 1,1 state and when 1.2 comes around I'll start all over again....TWICE the fun.
And you know i was one of the critique guys when this game was released but I soon learnt thru playing it(In it's bugged state) IT STILL is the BEST SubSIM out there in terms of what it does!!

Pacific Fleet submarine action at its best...

Deep Six

Antrodemus
04-11-07, 01:35 PM

Who are you "yawn"ing at?

...and yes, I do remember you from SH3 days, where you trolled every thread possible. :stare:

SeeFalke
04-11-07, 01:44 PM
Patch? There's another patch on the way?!?!?! Hell I haven't even gotten enough thread to sew the first on on my britches.:88)

In all seriousness though I have to give these Devs a lot of credit. They're taking the heat for a lot of frustration, I'm frustrated but I will tell you this much, while the game has its problems right now, I've gotten used to them and totaly love it. When 1.2 comes out it will be like a whole new game again and be even more fun!!!:rock:

SeeFalke
04-11-07, 01:45 PM

...and yes, I do remember you from SH3 days, where you trolled every thread possible. :stare:

Oh boy, here we go, let the Ego's flare up and the accusations and finger pointing begin.:roll:

The General
04-11-07, 01:50 PM
Listen Turkeys, the only way to stop Ubisoft shafting us in the future is to give' em a hard time about the diablolical state SH3 and 4 were in when released. I just read Neal's review and he goes a little easy on 'The Company' in my opinion. If Patch 1.2 doesn't fix at least 95% of the truck-load of bugs in SH4, I'm gonna kick Corporate ass!

Galanti
04-11-07, 01:54 PM
....To actually get the game to do AA probably means quite a hell o' lot of coding...same with the resolution fix..To biggies right there....

Deep Six

I agree with the general sentiment, let's give the devs time to get everything straightened out and I still have faith they will right many of the wrongs, but on this issue I have to disagree. From a technical standpont, I think the AA issue may be the easiest fix to implement. I suspect that the PPE are freezing out the video card driver AA override settings, and the fix is to simply not lock out these overrides when PPE is disabled in game. It is still baffling why this was not done in the first place, as was done so in many other games (with the notable exception of GRAW).

Just to be very clear, not a single line of code has to be written to allow AA. It's a video card setting, and works even in games that were released long before AA existed. I am, of course, open to correction.

Grunt
04-11-07, 01:56 PM
Im beginning to think its not possible to patch SH4 to working order, its that rough. Ive never seen a game in such a state, its almost pre-beta.

Seems ubi corporate was banking on the SH3 renown had built and suckered us in and shafted us with a horrible release.

My impression of the devs is that they really couldnt care less, as the wanton lack of "attention to detail" pervades the entire game.

BlackSpot
04-11-07, 01:59 PM
....To actually get the game to do AA probably means quite a hell o' lot of coding...same with the resolution fix..To biggies right there....

Deep Six

I agree with the general sentiment, let's give the devs time to get everything straightened out and I still have faith they will right many of the wrongs, but on this issue I have to disagree. From a technical standpont, I think the AA issue may be the easiest fix to implement. I suspect that the PPE are freezing out the video card driver AA override settings, and the fix is to simply not lock out these overrides when PPE is disabled in game. It is still baffling why this was not done in the first place, as was done so in many other games (with the notable exception of GRAW).

Just to be very clear, not a single line of code has to be written to allow AA. It's a video card setting, and works even in games that were released long before AA existed. I am, of course, open to correction.

I'm no expert by any means, but maybe this is locked out because they experienced appauling frame rates. The environmenal effects already bring some top range ATI cards to their knees.

Antrodemus
04-11-07, 02:11 PM
Oh boy, here we go, let the Ego's flare up and the accusations and finger pointing begin.:roll:

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so combative, despite the choice of smiley... :oops:

tater
04-11-07, 02:15 PM
I figured they were too busy spending all our money on booze and hookers to patch it up.

:D

tater

Rilder
04-11-07, 02:21 PM
SOON

:rock:

You forgot the "™"

Drokkon
04-11-07, 02:29 PM
I pop on the forums here to see if the patch is released everyday.I'm glad the annoucement of the April Fools patch has been removed from the home page, it was very annoying. I know I'll get flamed, but I would hope the dev's spend more time on fixing bugs and game play issues then on graphic tweaks.I mean the game looks great to me and I only have a Nvidea 6200SE.

I so want to love this game, but I have shelved the disc till the patch comes out.

John Channing
04-11-07, 02:31 PM
Listen Turkeys, the only way to stop Ubisoft shafting us in the future is to give' em a hard time about the diablolical state SH3 and 4 were in when released. I just read Neal's review and he goes a little easy on 'The Company' in my opinion. If Patch 1.2 doesn't fix at least 95% of the truck-load of bugs in SH4, I'm gonna kick Corporate ass!

Ummmm.... I really don't think it is appropriate to call your shipmates "Turkeys". At least, not on this boat.

But I am eagerly awaiting your after-action report on kicking a half a billion dollar+ corporation in the a**.

shad43
04-11-07, 02:32 PM

I know why it's not out yet :lol: AHEM...it's not done yet :o
Patience is a virtue :up:
Remember...negativity breeds this > :oops: & this > :x
Be POSITIVE :yep: = :D

Cheers

Ducimus
04-11-07, 02:37 PM
Personally i think their taking their sweet time with it because its liable to be the last one they do. So their trying to get as much into it as they can, then theres QA and testing. If we're lucky we might get one more patch after this upcoming one, but for some reason im skeptical about it.

The next patch, im guessing will be a whopper though, my guess is it will be anywhere between 200 and 500 mbs in size.

Jeffg
04-11-07, 02:41 PM
I hope the patch fixes the frame rates as I just bought a ATI X1950 Pro XGE with 256 ram to go with my P4 3.2 2gigs ram and still getting very poor frame rates.I have the enviro turned off.
JeffG

Antrodemus
04-11-07, 02:46 PM
Jeff, there may be something else wrong with your system, or maybe other software interfering with the performance of SH4. I have an XP64 3700+ / 2GB / X850XT (256MB), and the only thing I have disabled is the post-processing "aged-film" effect. Everything else is maxed @ 1024 x 768, and I get between 20 - 60 fps on the surface, and 30 - 40 below deck.

Mud
04-11-07, 02:48 PM
Ah ,a new edition of this weeks "where is the patch" thread.
Always a joy to read.

Mud

Binky1st
04-11-07, 02:51 PM
I think the dev team are all in the nearest Pub getting drunk from all the stress caused by the all complaints from the community.:D;)

pj
04-11-07, 02:54 PM
:arrgh!: A watched pot never boils...

joea
04-11-07, 02:56 PM

Huh, I recall you were trashing SH3 saying SH4 was going to be sooo much better. :shifty:

ryuzu
04-11-07, 03:18 PM

"We have strong hopes it will include both Anti-Aliasing and a fix for the issues experienced when running the game in very high resolutions."

Anti-Aliasing will most likely take some time to put in a patch, don't you think? And another thing: Those dev people are actual humans you know! They can't work their soddin' feet off just because a patch! I can only imagine how much effort there is to make a game.....completed or not.....

Well, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and R6 Vegas are much bigger selling games than SH4 and all these suffered from a lack of AA. None of those are fixed as of yet

ryuzu
04-11-07, 03:18 PM

Well, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and R6 Vegas are much bigger selling games than SH4 and all these suffered from a lack of AA. None of those are fixed as of yet - in game patching terms that means they (almost certainly) won't be given how long they've been out...

The way the phrase was put "We have strong hopes" implies to me that the addition of AA is not necessairly down to the Ubi Romania guys to implement...

Guess we'll find out eventually. Personally, AA isn't a big deal at all - I'd like the game to be patched before I care about graphical polish items.

r.

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 03:21 PM
Personally i think their taking their sweet time with it because its liable to be the last one they do. So their trying to get as much into it as they can, then theres QA and testing. If we're lucky we might get one more patch after this upcoming one, but for some reason im skeptical about it.

The next patch, im guessing will be a whopper though, my guess is it will be anywhere between 200 and 500 mbs in size.

I'm going with this logic and here is why...did you notice how fast a 100mb patch miraculously showed up the day after release? This patch was ready to go. Reason being, UBI had known there was bugs. Now the second patch will take care of the remaining bugs and also add content that either could not fit on the original disc or they did not have time to finish. Just my thoughts on that.

Shipwreck
04-11-07, 03:24 PM

BUMP!

SW

CaptainCox
04-11-07, 03:35 PM

The next patch, I'm guessing will be a whopper though, my guess is it will be anywhere between 200 and 500 mbs in size.

I'm going with this logic and here is why...did you notice how fast a 100mb patch miraculously showed up the day after release? This patch was ready to go. Reason being, UBI had known there was bugs. Now the second patch will take care of the remaining bugs and also add content that either could not fit on the original disc or they did not have time to finish. Just my thoughts on that.

I believe that this is 100% true (we have seen that in many games recently, (fast patching that is) Now I wonder why the 2nd patch is taking so much time. If we had the "SDK" we moders would probably fix it in 4-5 days and thats NO JOKE ;)

mookiemookie
04-11-07, 03:50 PM
I believe that this is 100% true (we have seen that in many games recently, (fast patching that is) Now I wonder why the 2nd patch is taking so much time. If we had the "SDK" we moders would probably fix it in 4-5 days and thats NO JOKE ;)
I would absolutely LOVE to see a SDK for SH4 or even SH3. All the complaints about "they didn't include this" or "this isn't historically correct" would go away, as the modders would have a friggin FIELD DAY adding in all kinds of neat stuff. I think it would be a great way to boost sales as well...the mod community would single handedly keep the franchise going.

A man can dream...

TDK1044
04-11-07, 04:12 PM
The answer to the question posed in the title is "No".

joea
04-11-07, 04:15 PM
BUMP!

SW

Yawn. :doh:

OakGroove
04-11-07, 04:18 PM
2 weeks...be sure.:p

Gut Ding will Weile haben. A sitrep would be nice though.

Sailor Steve
04-11-07, 04:22 PM

All you need to do is a search on threads by Codmander and you'll see that it has nothing to do with egos and finger-pointing. He has a history of stirring up trouble for no good reason.

Faamecanic
04-11-07, 04:24 PM

Have to agree here.... but I REALLY feel like we are going to have another SH3. Sure a pretty decent SIM...but held back by bugs that took the MOD community a few man HOURS to fix without the benefit of a SDK.

Its not the devs fault.... Freakin UBIstank is the one running the timeline show as well as the budget. Again SH3 was left with major faults unfixed simply because UBI pulled the plug on the devs fixing the rest of the sim.

Sailor Steve
04-11-07, 04:30 PM
All you need to do is a search on threads by Codmander and you'll see that it has nothing to do with egos and finger-pointing. He has a history of stirring up trouble for no good reason.
Allow me to qualify that statement. Codmander actually had something positive to say, back on April 6, 2006 (along with a promise):

just wait until your sent to japan on a secret mission cant see sh4 being better than sh3 but i for 1 will buy n play it --to death
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=91650

shad43
04-11-07, 04:31 PM

I would have to agree.

Torpex752
04-11-07, 04:33 PM
I believe the patch is coming, and they are spending time reading our posts. The game is working good for me, stable, no issues that wont allow me to play it for a few weeks. I'll admit if you add up my posts of issues, and things that need fixing, it would probably take a week to fix just my list! LOL Imagine the list from the whole forum!? LOL

Frank
:cool:

fredbass
04-11-07, 04:49 PM
It really does depend on how testing goes but I wouldn't be surprised if its another 2-4 weeks b4 1.2 gets here.

Fearless
04-11-07, 05:12 PM
Well we all have our frustrations but for me the longer it takes the more fixes will be in the patch. Here is hoping :up:

fausterwwii
04-11-07, 05:23 PM
I figured they were too busy spending all our money on booze and hookers to patch it up.

:D

tater -Adopts best Homer Simpson donut lovin' voice- "Mmmmmm. Booze and Hookers."
:huh:

Church SUBSIM
04-11-07, 05:29 PM
hmmm .... getting low on toliet paper .... too bad this thread and all the other ones like it are not made of paper.

/evil grin

John Channing
04-11-07, 05:33 PM
Yup.... I am startin' to think this one's coming to the end of it's useful life. Let's let it run for a little while more and see if anything useful comes of it.

Otherwise the plug is well within reach.

JCC

Grunt
04-11-07, 05:40 PM
Everyone, including ubi and the SH4 dev's, should take note of how a truly professional development team goes about things.

Case in point, World of Warcraft. When Blizzard was hashing out the bugs, they held a closed beta.

Inviting people to come play the game, so that real time debugging could happen, thus making a much more polished and stable gold release.

WoW is wildly popular and basically sets the standard for MMORPG's.

SH4 has, conversely, set new lows by suckering unsuspecting SH3 fans.

Through slick marketing and what can only be described as propagandist/apologists on forums that will go unnamed.

Thus, we pay cold hard cash to play SH4 (term used loosely) as beta testers.

Im betting ubi will move down the same path V1vend1 did with the whole HL2 debacle. Arrogance, ignorance, and utmost contempt for the end user...now staring down the business end of a bankrupcy.

Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of guys, say I.

BlackSpot
04-11-07, 05:41 PM
Brothers and sisters, I am going to link you all directly with Romania through the power of your mind.
Please kneel on your mouse mat and place your forehead on the red square.
Clear your mind of all those filthy and negative thoughts (and the Dracula ones!)

Are...you...there...Romania....

http://193.47.83.222/chop/patch.gif

Mud
04-11-07, 05:43 PM
:rotfl:

Mud

CaptainHunter
04-11-07, 05:51 PM

"SHADDAP, ya bastids! I hear one more crack about th' patch outta yer pieholes, you'll be pulling barnacles off th' @$$ end o' this boat! Any o' you bunch don't savvy, speak up now so's I can getcher work schedule laid up proper! When we gotta patch, th' Old Man'll tell us, so ain't no use bellyachin' anyhow! Now get back ta yer damn stations!" -:D

:rock:Now that's the spirit.:arrgh!:

Grunt
04-11-07, 05:58 PM
[quote=Calbeck]Oh come on, let's do this the proper NAVAL way:

I find the above comments far too aggressive, and I shall complain to the moderator.

Just kidding!

Chock
04-11-07, 06:02 PM
First of all it seems a tad impatient to be drumming your fingers for a patch when the game (oops Sim) has only been out for a short time. And ironically, it does kind of go against the grain with regard to the kind of personality that would enjoy playing a submarine sim, where patiently waiting is an integral part of such an experience. After all, this aint no twitchy first-person shooter.

Anyone who has ever worked in any job where deadlines are shifted and forced upon one, will only have sympathy for the developers, who doubtless had a bunch of suits hovering over them repeating 'is it ready yet?'.

Of course, like all products, it could be tweeked and prodded forever, but inevitably the ones holding the purse strings will issue a 'Los!' command and out the product will pop. However, I imagine they will have allocated some of the budget for SH4 to patching, as the inevitable glitches show up, but whether that budget covers such a large team as the one for initial development of the product is debatable, and so, that would be my guess as to why any patch doesn't spring forth within days of the initial release.

SH3 is a case in point here, with the patches taking quite a while to come out I seem to recall.

Personally, I haven't had too many problems with SH4 and it runs just fine on my ATI card with all the whistles and bells cranked up - apart from when the IJN obelisk shows up - but I've only really seen that in multiplayer and one of the training scenarios, never on a career patrol.

I do think the bug that bombs your career if you save while submerged is a bit of a poor show - lost a twin hit on some carriers with that one:down: and speaking of bombs, the Jap bombers definitely need a tweek so they don't come unerringly towards you like a Harpoon missile, despite having no radar in 1941. Nevertheless, the fact that I seem so be able to avoid the concussion wave from 2000 lbs of bombs from a Kawanishi by steering off to one side a bit does offset that a little!

But all in all these glitches are minor in comparison to the plus points in SH4 for me.

In any case, if you can't wait a few weeks for a patch, I suspect you'd have been in more danger of dying from boredom on a real submarine than from depth charges :cool:

melin71
04-11-07, 06:18 PM
I can only speak for me...but i have really fun with the game right now. speciell after all GREATS mod that are out all ready. ...eh..with out the mods..the game is not perfekt. missing buttons but mods is fixing.

THANK GOD FOR MODDERS!!!

this game will NEVER..be great without modders. vanila sh3 sucks.....and i think vanila sh4 vill suck to without the mods. for me anyway..i can get the game as i want with the mods. and sh3 or sh4 lacks stuff i want in the game. sub games will never be good from dev teams. i should not be very surprising if they working on sh5 allready and starts to drop sh4 ..after 1 or 2 more patch. even if they dont fix all buggs...they have done that with all other sh games...why not sh4. but as i said....glad the modders are around.

Spadefish
04-11-07, 06:19 PM

If your so bored, don't lurk Troll!!!

John Channing
04-11-07, 06:35 PM
*Bends over and reaches for the plug*

Everyone....

Let's stop the name calling, please.

JCC

Platapus
04-11-07, 06:43 PM

The military always had a way with words.

Ahh brings back memories

mookiemookie
04-11-07, 07:50 PM
When Blizzard was hashing out the bugs, they held a closed beta.

Inviting people to come play the game, so that real time debugging could happen, thus making a much more polished and stable gold release.

How do you know this hasn't happened with the SH4 patches? Hee hee hee...

I think you may be pontificating on things you have no real knowledge of. :hmm:

Mylander
04-11-07, 08:01 PM
When Blizzard was hashing out the bugs, they held a closed beta.

How do you know this hasn't happened with the SH4 patches? Hee hee hee...

I think you may be pontificating on things you have no real knowledge of. :hmm:

Imagine that. :rotfl:

StandingCow
04-11-07, 08:03 PM
I am glad it is taking a while.. it means a better quality patch... I hope...

Navigator857
04-11-07, 08:06 PM
Patch v1.2 will be released when ready....The devs have already promised that it will try and fix AS MUCH as possible....I'm sure there watching and reading our "Bugs Thread" and probably changing there patch release as more Little quirky bugs that can be easily fixed are raised on these threads....To actually get the game to do AA probably means quite a hell o' lot of coding...same with the resolution fix..To biggies right there....

Me I'm gonna play the ass of this game in its 1,1 state and when 1.2 comes around I'll start all over again....TWICE the fun.
And you know i was one of the critique guys when this game was released but I soon learnt thru playing it(In it's bugged state) IT STILL is the BEST SubSIM out there in terms of what it does!!

Pacific Fleet submarine action at its best...

Deep Six

Could'nt have said ti better myself Deep

Spectre-63
04-11-07, 10:06 PM
*Bends over and reaches for the plug*

Everyone....

Let's stop the name calling, please.

JCC

If the image of JCC bending over doesn't stop the arguing, I don't know what will! God knows the last thing we need around here is more crack! :huh:

:lol: ;) :rotfl:

TheSatyr
04-12-07, 12:58 AM
JCC is bending over??? My eyes!!! My eyes!!! Make him stop!!!!:rotfl:

Gizzmoe
04-12-07, 01:17 AM
Thread closed.