PDA

View Full Version : Language help

Linton
04-11-07, 05:38 AM
For those of you who do not speak English as their first language here is a useful tool for spelling and grammar.It may help you when posting.
http://www.askoxford.com/?view=uk

Sailor Steve
04-11-07, 11:11 AM
Cute, but most of the mistakes, errors and out-and-out flubs I see come from posters who should know better. Those who are not native English-speakers at least try to get it right.

Linton
04-11-07, 08:08 PM
Everybody makes mistakes unless you are a paragon of virtue-I just believe that writing in rapper speak is unaccceptable!It makes the whole board seem very amateurish.

Polak
04-12-07, 04:20 AM
I always copy&paste my longer posts from MS Word, better to be on the safe side.

CCIP
04-12-07, 10:19 AM
I don't think this is really a big issue here though. Those who really have trouble with language tend to try very hard and spell correctly, but even with the best dictionaries
you can't cover everything - not to mention it's inefficient for the poor guys to pull those out every time.

For those who write in intentionally 'broken' language, eh... I think the community regulates itself there. Think of our membership and think of the members who gain respect of the community and are considered prominent figures - I can think of a few with poor grammar or dyslexia, but I can't think of any that write in 'rapper speak' on purpose.

danlisa
04-12-07, 11:59 AM
....but I can't think of any that write in 'rapper speak' on purpose.
I can but no names will be mentioned.;)

I agree with CCIP, the majority of non-english speaking members do the best they can and that is all we can ask of them. After all, english is probably the hardest language to learn, I mean, we do everything backwards compared to other languages.:lol:

I also know the limitations of these 'online translators', they just can't account for regional dialects, so it's a no brainer really, we'll have to muddle through.

There is, however, no excuse for poor grammer or spelling from any native english speaker.

dat is all bro, catch you laterz homie.:D
:rotfl::rotfl:

Sailor Steve
04-12-07, 04:45 PM
No...no...I...can't...:dead: