PDA

View Full Version : I've been sunk.

nattydread
04-11-07, 02:56 AM
I have to admit, in real life I probably should have been. I was taking it to the enemy, I took chances and I got caught.

I engaged a taskforce sitting off of Java in my new P-class. They were in shallow waters of about 150ft. I snuck in throught the lazy screen and spied a juicy Mogami Heavy Cruiser. I snuck in to within 1000yds or less and fired two fish. Both MK 14s, both slow, both on contact fuses.

Im at silent running and creeping at just over 1kt in moderate swells...big enough to wash over the scope about every 30 secs to a minute. It was the dark and no moon yet. My screen stutters telling me the game is calculating something. I expected the first explosion shortly afterward, but nothing, a couple seconds later another stutter, too soon to be the second torp I think. All of a sudden the Mogami lights up, hit the down scope key as I see the search light begin its swing another searchlight out of view to my left sweep across the water toward me.

Crap!!!!! My fish were duds! I could accept that, half expected it. So I begin my exit out of the area, I begin a dive to 100 or 125ft(I forget). As Im heading down, Im thinking how absolutly amazing and unlikly a sleeping ship and near by DD would be able to get a spot light bead on my immeaditly in the dead of night, in swells and Im at 1kt...even following the wakes would have taken some time to find my thin attack scope. As Im thinking this the DD begins pinging, Im thinking its tim eto go deeper, but he is close. Im still silent running and debating if I should go flank(if the guy is pinging, go fast! Silent running dont help against active pings! I knew that but held on to my security blanket of quietness). The DD lays a string on me and the 2nd and third DCs sink me.

So I re-loaded and re-did the attack, I did it from a couple of hundred yards farther out, I launched the fish and just dove and headed out. This time my two fish detonated and sunk the Mogami...so be it, that didnt bug me so much. But I wasnt spotted by any ship and the activly pinging DD that sunk me last time passed over head or nearby pinging for half the time and then gave up before detecting me. I made it out with no problems at all.

So now Im a bit dissappointed, the only reason I can see for my death was because the ships's searchlight operators have ESP and led the DD right to me. Now granted in real life I should have likly died anyway, but it sucks that I die in game through such a gamey and likly inaccurate modeling of AI...the duds hurt too, but thats in the context of my role-playing(the AI modeling hurst me as a player and enthuthiast).

So anyway, I accept the death because it was reasonable based on the circumstances. I'll honor it and will begin my next patrol with a new career.

I play 100% Realism(may or may not be on very difficult, but my new career is certianly set at very difficult)

Von Hinten
04-11-07, 05:03 AM
I feel sad for loosing you to a Japanese destroyer and hope you'll have more luck in the next life you'll start in SHIV. :know:

Didn't the game offer you the 'hey, seems you miraculously escaped and here's a new sub' treatment by the way?

Quillan
04-11-07, 10:17 AM
I got bombed by a Japanese patrol plane coming back from my last patrol. It was 5 am, pitch black, no moon, and some aircraft finds me. I got no radar warning, and no advance watch warning. It was in a bombing run by the time they spotted it. Talk about ESP. Ever notice you don't see aircraft heading in any other direction at first? They are always coming straight at you when they appear.

SteamWake
04-11-07, 10:23 AM
I have seen them going in directions other than straight at me. However it doesent last long as they soon turn towards me.

Surely once in a while a plane would just plain miss seeing my ship. But no.. indeed they seem to be psychic.

nattydread
04-11-07, 06:03 PM
I feel sad for loosing you to a Japanese destroyer and hope you'll have more luck in the next life you'll start in SHIV. :know:

Didn't the game offer you the 'hey, seems you miraculously escaped and here's a new sub' treatment by the way?

Yeah it was a bit odd, granted I was only in 150ft of water:D maybe they did a rescue mission.

But they didnt give me a new boat, they said honored me, said my rescue was the beginning of a great carerr in the Navy, and said my skills woul dbe put to much better use in Command or somthing. I guess I became an instructor and Naval administrator...maybe a Lockwood or Rickover!:smug:

Rilder
04-11-07, 06:32 PM
My USS Seal just sliped under the waves for the last time to0... got to careless with planes and one got a lucky hit, managed to survive though but I knew I didnt have enough fuel to make it back now, couldn't submerge due to rear pressure hull damage, well I could but I'd have to blow ballast pretty fast... anyways on my attempt home was attacked by a smalll task-force, an Azuki and a Gun boat, forced to take them on with the deck gun, survived but badly damaged... so I made my way again, then after tons of attacks a plane found its mark,watched fuel gauge litterly stream to zero... and the USS Seal slipped under.