PDA

View Full Version : Strange happenings afoot

Cap'n Crabs
04-10-07, 09:42 PM
Well, this is kinda weird. It's '43, I'd been asked if I wanted a new boat, so I accept.
I'm transferred from Pearl to Brisbane to a new Balao boat, ordered to patrol off the Caroline Islands to sink ships. It took awhile but finally got the completed message. I was out of torpedos, so I head back to Brisbane.

Here's where it gets weird. I get to the harbor, but I'm not allowed to end my patrol, only refit or postpone. I try to leave and come back but still no "end patrol" option. I thought, well maybe it's different out here, so I said refit. When I went to my torpedo station, I drag fresh torps from storage to the tubes, as a refit doesn't load them automatically. Then I would refit again to fill the storage bays again.

This time, the tubes do not load but I can see semi transparent torps in the tubes.
They never load. The tube lights at the periscope station just flash. All my crew are healthy. I don't get it. I thought, I'd try going back to Pearl to see if that would "reset" things, but it did not. I got the same options. I have no message telling me my port of call has changed either.

I can only guess my save is corrupted. Anyone else see anything similar?

Karbo
04-10-07, 10:05 PM
I had that happen once I had to put silent running on then off again then they reloaded hope this works for you.

Karbo

perisher
04-10-07, 10:15 PM
I too experienced this never ending patrol in a Balao out of Brisbane. While I was figuring it out I went sight seeing to Sydney. Entered the harbour at too high a TC and rammed a pier. That ended the patrol, and my career.

Cap'n Crabs
04-10-07, 10:33 PM
I'll give that a go Karbo and see what happens. Thanks:up:

Perisher... appropriate handle hehe :rotfl:

I did have one really cool thing happen. I was on a mission near Japan and was sunk, but must have been rescued. I found myself back at Pearl and was offered to retire to a deskjob or a new command.
I thought my career was over, but wow!

I naturally took the boat. :sunny:

Strikor
04-10-07, 11:14 PM
I had this happen to me, only my boat was so damaged I couldn't make more than 6 knots! Now THAT was annoying.

Anyway, head to Freemantle or whatever the port on the west coast of Australia is. That's the port that worked for me.

nattydread
04-10-07, 11:48 PM
Yeah the game is bad at informing you of your new port, I bet if you head to the most forward port you'd be allowed to end. I assume thats what happens when you lose your port, you fall back to the next forward port. That seems to mean move west as far as possible then look north to see if there is another port closer to Japan.

Cap'n Crabs
04-11-07, 12:20 AM
Going in and out of silent running fixed my torpedo loading problem.
Thanks Karbo :up:

Strikor, I'll bet when your boat was damaged, going 6kts, you were probably the furthest point from any friendly port too.:lol:
Is it still Murphys law or changed to Bernards law? hehe

Rilder
04-11-07, 12:44 AM
Going in and out of silent running fixed my torpedo loading problem.
Thanks Karbo :up:

Strikor, I'll bet when your boat was damaged, going 6kts, you were probably the furthest point from any friendly port too.:lol:
Is it still Murphys law or changed to Bernards law? hehe

Its Bernards laws of Submarining.

I think I started posting them, might make a topic about them...

USS_shipmaster
04-11-07, 07:04 AM
Guys If you started career in 41-42 it will end in 43, after approximately 8 patrols -
they do not let you go to the end of war. they dont need experience they prefer to nuke ( like Truman did )

joea
04-11-07, 07:15 AM
Guys If you started career in 41-42 it will end in 43, after approximately 8 patrols -
they do not let you go to the end of war. they dont need experience they prefer to nuke ( like Truman did )

Well subs saw action in 1944 but it's true many skippers were kicked upstairs after even a few patrols...poor skippers so they could not do more damage, or good skippers to help advise others or whatever. Was the same with the u-boats as well.

USS_shipmaster
04-11-07, 08:06 AM
Sir, :-) i absolutely agree with your post above. I just tried to make a point to let us make our career in SH4 till the end of war (sept 45). Its just point of career evaluation. For example started career as Lt. and retired as Cmd-Lt etc