PDA

View Full Version : Utter Disaster

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 04:59 PM
So i got upgraded to a new boat, transferred to australia, went out on my 5th patrol. i really stuck it to the japanese navy this time out.

sunk a good number of merchants after encountering 3 or 4 convoys en route to the patrol zone. refitted at a friendly submarine tender. headed to the patrol zone and ran into a couple of more convoys during the week, between the 2 convoys i managed another 6 ships.

i had 7 torps left and mission accomplished - headed back to port.

about 2 days out of the return leg i come across a convoy. but i let it go - perhaps i can save these torps for a bigger target, after all its a long way home.

about half way back to port i ran across a HUGE task force. maneuvered into firing position. in the center of the convoy sailed two fuso battleships. i knew saving those last torps would pay off.

carelfully plotted out a firing solution on the two big battleships.

1st one in line i fired 3 bow tubes at and then made a hard turn to port to bring the stern tubes around. fired the 4 aft tubs spread out along the second battleship in the line and then dove deep.

the 1st battleship took all three hits to the forward bow and exploded brilliantly. the 2nd battleship took 3 hits astern with the 4th fish being a dud. she stopped dead in the water and sank by the stern within several minutes.

i got away unscathed.

upon returning to australia the window pops up and i select "end patrol"

CRASH TO DESK TOP!!!!!!! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

well you guys probably heard me... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

flyingdane
04-09-07, 05:05 PM
Kinda takes the fun out of it huh. :roll:

AirborneTD
04-09-07, 05:08 PM
Please tell me you save the game after every big kill or significant moment??
I do because I never know when the game is gonna crash on me. I don't replay a game if I had some duds or misses, but will if I've had a CTD.

I also save on long trips to/from my patrol area.

Rilder
04-09-07, 05:09 PM
This is why I periodicly save during patrols, after good attacks and every couple days and what not.:)

BigZed
04-09-07, 05:12 PM
Buddy this is the best story ever!! Heart broken is what id call it.

Hope you saved but since you are telling us this story i doubt you did.

Id be furious!!

ohh well live and learn i guess.

donut
04-09-07, 05:14 PM
Use the Save function,:damn: Shi- happens ! Nice shooting !:rock:
I'll give you & atta-boy Skipper.:sunny:

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 05:16 PM
heck yea

including time compression i had been playing that one mission for the past 3 hours.

i was just in a state of shock. i sent a radio report before returning to port so i could see for sure the tonnage.

if memory serves it breaks down like this

encounter one - small task force off the north of Australia

sank 1 Fubuki class destroyer................2260 tons

encounter two - small task force in the phillipene sea

sank 1 Fubuki Class Destroyer................2260 tons
sank 1 Hira Class Gunboat.......................305 tons

Encounter three - Small convoy in the phillipene sea

sank 1 large modern tanker.....................9974 tons
sank 1 Medium Euro superstruct frtr.........5186 tons

Encounter four - Small convoy in the phillipene sea

Sank 1 Large modern tanker...................9974 tons
Sank 1 Medium Euro Superstruct frtr........5186 tons
Sank 1 Small old tanker..........................1549 tons

Encounter 5 - Small convoy off Honshu

Sank 1 large modern tanker...................9974 tons
Sank 1 small old tanker.........................1549 tons

Encounter 6 - Small convoy off honshu

let this one go to reserve torpedo loading

Encounter 7 - Large Task Force in the phillipene Sea

Sank 1st Fuso Battleship...................... 34300 tons
Sank 2nd Fuso Battleship...................... 34300 tons

Total tonnage this patrol...................... 116,817 tons

what a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every other patrol i only sank a few ships - i was so thrilled with this patrol.

Edit: i thought to save the game but i have read about save game issues and didnt want to risk a crash - happened anyway.

THE_MASK
04-09-07, 05:19 PM
Bloody CTDs. I just reinstalled rome total war patched to 1.5 and just fought some big wars with the gauls and got a damn CTD . Happens in a lot of games .

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 05:29 PM
God - now look at my avatar - i better get to posting messages so it will go to the next change! :rotfl:

reminds me of a couple of evenings i spent in New Orleans :doh:

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 05:30 PM
oh thank god it changed

Rilder
04-09-07, 05:37 PM
Bloody CTDs. I just reinstalled rome total war patched to 1.5 and just fought some big wars with the gauls and got a damn CTD . Happens in a lot of games .

Get the EB mod. Now I tells ya. :D :arrgh!:

CCIP
04-09-07, 05:42 PM

Haha, except the EB mod won't result in any less CTDs, but quite the contrary :p

Still great, though.

Front Runner
04-09-07, 05:46 PM
i got away unscathed.

upon returning to australia the window pops up and i select "end patrol"

I think it's UBI's way of "simulating" the very end of the movie "Das Boot."
:arrgh!:

The_Rus
04-09-07, 05:48 PM
Ah a man after my own heart. That is the best RTW mod. :yep:

THE_MASK
04-09-07, 06:06 PM

Where?

Blood_splat
04-09-07, 06:09 PM
My game busting moment was when my screen froze after getting the release agent screen. I spent hours upon hours sneaking into final position. I yelled... "I hope Ubisoft dies in a fiery car accidents and I hope the last thing they hear is the blood curdling screams of their children".:damn:

CCIP
04-09-07, 06:13 PM
Where?

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Grunt
04-09-07, 06:35 PM
My game busting moment was when my screen froze after getting the release agent screen. I spent hours upon hours sneaking into final position. I yelled... "I hope Ubisoft dies in a fiery car accidents and I hope the last thing they hear is the blood curdling screams of their children".:damn:

Rest assured, Ubi corporate is laughing all the way to the bank. :rotfl:

The dev's are kicking back with a case of Ursus beer, basking in the fact that they stuck it to the imperialst American scum. :sunny:

Grothesj2
04-09-07, 06:55 PM
I hardly ever crash (1 ctd and 2 lock ups in about 26 hours of play) but I still save regularily....just in case.

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 07:04 PM
this has been my first CTD. and it couldnt come at a worse time.

joea
04-09-07, 07:08 PM
Rest assured, Ubi corporate is laughing all the way to the bank. :rotfl:

The dev's are kicking back with a case of Ursus beer, basking in the fact that they stuck it to the imperialst American scum. :sunny:

Nice post. :shifty:

nikimcbee
04-09-07, 08:16 PM

:damn: I was (10 freekin min ago) in S-39, I just torpedoed the Mogami, then I was re-loading for the rest of the taskforce, I had the lead troopship in my sights.
Screen goes black, crash to desktop:damn: . Really pissed right now, so I came here to b^tch.:shifty:

THE_MASK
04-10-07, 12:52 AM
This is why i dont play SH3 anymore . Before christmas i got a CTD just after sinking the rodney and i grabbed the dvd from the dvd player , ran to the back door of my house and flung it like a frisbee as hard as i could lol .

meant to say dvd not cd

d@rk51d3
04-10-07, 05:29 AM
Yeah, it's embedded in the back of my head, if you want it back.:dead:

Von Hinten
04-10-07, 05:51 AM
That's not a very nice thing to wish for anyone m8 ... :nope:

Personally I, apart from having once pressed the 'A' key by accident, haven't encountered any CTD's so far so I can't really relate to your apparent anger but still ...

Ultraboy
04-10-07, 06:28 AM
I've had the random CTDs, and yes they come at the worst times. I fully endorse periodically saving to deal with it. Because, after all, the random CTDs aren't that frequent. But with saving you must be careful, I only save while surfaced and there's no one else around. If you save while submerged, strange things happen when you reload. And, well, saving with hostiles around will just result in a re-load where you're stopped and lagged for 30 seconds, so that's a no-no.

There's no shame in re-loading a game after a CTD, although respect to you hardcore role-players who treat a CTD as a "catastophic explosion" or whatever. :up:

peterloo
04-10-07, 08:03 AM
Oh my gosh! Sorry to hear that :damn: That's life.:nope:

I know that excellent players (honest guys as well) never save their game during patrol:up: , but actually they bear a high risk due to the high system load when you run the game. In case the system cannot bear the load, it will shutdown the game in order to save your system from damage.:know:
This usually happens when you are close to port as many ships' movements have to be controlled by your CPU and directly put a heavy burden on top of it.:oops: :dead:
So, better save then sorry!:sunny:

don1reed
04-10-07, 08:48 AM
Good shootin', Golden Rivet.

...looks like you might have struck a mine that had broken from it's anchorage and single-handed into your path. Hard cheeze, that.

Cheers,

SteamWake
04-10-07, 01:54 PM
Save early save often :hmm:

jerryt
04-10-07, 02:15 PM

:up: :up: :up:

I live by this rule!

Safe-Keeper
04-10-07, 02:39 PM
The game still does not have an auto-save feature?

AirborneTD
04-10-07, 02:48 PM
Seems like it only auto saves when entering or leaving a base.

Cakewalk
04-10-07, 03:03 PM
That sounds even worse than the situation in the movie "Groundhog Day".:down:

OakGroove
04-10-07, 03:33 PM
For this very reason is save often, 10+ saves per patrol is the norm, all different slots. I have had some corrupted saves, that would make the game CTD immediately trying to continue from such a point.

SteamWake
04-10-07, 04:28 PM

:up: :up: :up:

I live by this rule!

This "rule" is as old as computer gaming itself. It actually has its roots in RPG's but it does lend creedance to the arguments that this isnt the first game to have these sort of issues.