PDA

View Full Version : meeting patrol objectives

Bilge_Rat
04-09-07, 01:52 PM
I have been assigned to patrol the Carolines near Truk. How long and how close do I need to stay to the "Star" to get the objective completed. The manual is silent on this.

I remember in SH3, you had to patrol a specific grid for 24 or 48 hours.

ironkross
04-09-07, 02:22 PM
I have the same question about the troops insertion on Phillipines coast mission. How long do I have to stay there. My sub was almost close enough to wade to shore but I never got a completed check.

Quillan
04-09-07, 02:22 PM
48 hours within roughly 55 nautical miles of the center of the star.

Camaero
04-09-07, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure, but I just stay pretty close in the area and it seems to take 48 hours, not 24 like in SHIII.

Camaero
04-09-07, 02:24 PM
I have the same question about the troops insertion on Phillipines coast mission. How long do I have to stay there. My sub was almost close enough to wade to shore but I never got a completed check.

Did you launch the troops? As soon as you launch them, you should be finished. First you have to zoom in all the way on the map and get your sub into the same grid as the insertion picture.

Gildor
04-09-07, 02:51 PM
For troop insertion you have to get close and stop engines

AVGWarhawk
04-09-07, 02:56 PM

Stop engines is the biggest thing. Man, I was beaching my sub trying to figure that one out:roll:

jerryt
04-09-07, 02:57 PM
I've had different results each time it seems. All patrols have been from Pearl to patrol off Honshu. 1st patrol and the last one; star changed color and updated orders as soon as I got about 100 miles out. Other patrols, I had to patrol around it for a couple of days to get it to change. Seems wonky at best.

Quillan
04-09-07, 03:10 PM
Those are different orders. If the orders tell you "Patrol the East China Sea" then you have to go there, spend 48 hours within a certain distance of the target point, and then the objective will be completed. If, on the other hand, the orders tell you "Deploy to the East China Sea" then the order gets completed as soon as you get within a certain distance of the target point, and you'll get a new objective "Engage enemy merchant shipping". The first doesn't automatically give you a new objective, but I have gotten a new one with the first type of order after sending in a status report once it was completed.

ironkross
04-09-07, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the response.
I did stop engines but the troops icon is .1 nm inland so I never actually reached that, but I am in the same grid. Replaying it now.

ironkross
04-09-07, 03:55 PM
OK, I'm replaying now and this time I got the screen to Launch or Postpone as soon as I stopped. Maybe what happened the first time was I sailed into the grid and out of the south side before cutting engines.

Bilge_Rat
04-09-07, 06:20 PM
48 hours within roughly 55 nautical miles of the center of the star.

thanks.

-Pv-
04-09-07, 06:49 PM
The requirement for spy insertion is 1.5 miles from the coast with engines stopped and on the surface. I assume the deploy troops is similar. As soon as the boat leaves your sub, don't stick around.
-Pv-

ironkross
04-09-07, 07:46 PM
As soon as the boat leaves your sub, don't stick around.
-Pv-
You got that right! The raft circles and slams into your boat with enough bangs and clatter to wake the dead.