PDA

View Full Version : I've got shaking water!

horrgakx
04-08-07, 02:57 PM
When the sea is visible (external views, periscope, etc) the water 'shakes' in relation to everything else... whats this?

Von Manteuffel
04-08-07, 03:32 PM
:hmm:mmmmm!

Not sure, but it sounds like a resolution problem. What graphics card are you using? Try dropping the res a notch and see if that cures it. Is it only the sea? And how fast is the "shaking"

horrgakx
04-08-07, 03:41 PM
Will see if I can get a Fraps of it.

:hmm:mmmmm!

Not sure, but it sounds like a resolution problem. What graphics card are you using? Try dropping the res a notch and see if that cures it. Is it only the sea? And how fast is the "shaking"

Hanzo
04-08-07, 04:19 PM
I've got the same problem. It's like the water surface judders everytime you turn the camera or move it. :dead: Ati Radeon 9800 here.

CCIP
04-08-07, 05:24 PM
I get this sometimes, especially near ports or large task forces.

TCing forward a little, to something above 256x, seems to remove it until it decides to show up again.

stabiz
04-08-07, 05:49 PM
I have that too sometimes. Its not fps-related, though.

jdski
04-08-07, 05:54 PM
After my x850 card went up the other day and I installed a backup x800 that I got for a warranty replacement for a bad 9800pro, I started noticing jello looking shakes in the water sometimes. I'm averaging 1.5 years for my last 3 ATI cards before they go up.
I never seen it with my X850. I was surprized what a difference there is between those two cards.

Silent Munter
04-08-07, 06:27 PM
Had this too, near Port Moresby, then near Brisbane. Got an x800xl.

Have sailed into other ports and its been fine though.

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 06:35 PM
I get this sometimes, especially near ports or large task forces.

TCing forward a little, to something above 256x, seems to remove it until it decides to show up again.

Much the same here. Near ports or sometimes near very small vessels (sanpans or fishing boats) It does seem to come when I come out of TC and go to the outside view of the contact. If I bounce back to my command room and then back outside it goes away. I do not get it often to worry about it too much.

XanderF
04-08-07, 10:14 PM
Same here - usually happens when coming out of high TC.

To add to a disturbing trend in this thread, though...

...using a Radeon X1950 Pro.

ANY nVidia users experiencing this? Or is this just another ATI bug in the game?

The_Rus
04-08-07, 11:17 PM
I have this too. I unlike you have the jiggly water everywhere. I use a ATI Radeon X1900. It looks like an Ati bug. Oh well :-?

flintlock
04-09-07, 12:26 AM
I also experience this with a X1950 Pro. I'm using the latest 07.3 Catalyst drivers.

Skweetis
04-09-07, 12:38 AM
Yeah, it goes away in a bit... seems to be related to loading info from the HDD...

Like Im sailing on a sea of jello!

-Pv-
04-09-07, 12:43 AM
The only unexpected strangeness I see in water the the X1950 is some jitters near the water line on ships in rough waves. The jitter goes away when I change the view angle.

I feel for the guy with the 9800 pro problems. I want through 4 cards in 2 months before ATI sent me on that had been personally burned in. Worked well until games started getting too advanced for it. It's a wonder you can run SH4 on it at all.
-Pv-

jdski
04-09-07, 07:31 AM
Yea once they sent me a bad replacement too. Well I put in for a warrantey claim but I think I missed the policy change by a couple months. Now you only get one year on them so I'm about 4 months over that now.
I'm stuck on whether to buy a new AGP card for my Pent 3.2 or start building a new machine.

The only unexpected strangeness I see in water the the X1950 is some jitters near the water line on ships in rough waves. The jitter goes away when I change the view angle.

I feel for the guy with the 9800 pro problems. I want through 4 cards in 2 months before ATI sent me on that had been personally burned in. Worked well until games started getting too advanced for it. It's a wonder you can run SH4 on it at all.
-Pv-

stabiz
04-09-07, 07:51 AM
I have it, and use nVidia.

AVGWarhawk
04-09-07, 07:52 AM
It seems to be a coming out TC problem. Clears up when you switch to another screen. Small anoyance.

Skubber
04-09-07, 09:02 AM
This happened to me briefly just as I was coming into port.
It hasn't happened since.

I wonder what's up? Have to check it out when I go into port again to see if I can replicate the problem.

playing on my laptop: ATI X1400

tommyk
04-09-07, 09:19 AM
Same here nvidia(7900GT). switching screens or little TC ahead and its gone again...

Iron Budokan
04-09-07, 09:24 AM
I've had it, too, but frankly just put it down to my ATI X1300 card...not the most hefty of video cards, but I have an old(ish) rig.

horrgakx
04-09-07, 11:30 AM
I've not seen it since I made the orignal post. I just updated my drivers but I have a feeling that won't cure it, the drivers I had were very recent anyway (Gigabyte Radeon X700).

AVGWarhawk
04-09-07, 12:57 PM
I've had it, too, but frankly just put it down to my ATI X1300 card...not the most hefty of video cards, but I have an old(ish) rig.

Some of the faster cards are getting it also. I have the X1300 and I'm pleased with the performance. It seems to be a TC problem. Does not happen on every patrol. On my lists of fixes at this point, this minor issue is close to the bottom because it does not happen often enough to ruin the game.

horrgakx
04-09-07, 01:17 PM
Time compression or switching views didn't fix it for me.

I also HATE the bug (which happened in SHIII) whereby you go to the external view using "." and the view is of the sky, angled, sometimes moves up & down.

AVGWarhawk
04-09-07, 01:27 PM
Time compression or switching views didn't fix it for me.

I also HATE the bug (which happened in SHIII) whereby you go to the external view using "." and the view is of the sky, angled, sometimes moves up & down.

Yes, in port area the camera sometimes goes haywire. For me the shaking water will happen just after coming out of TC and go to outside view. If I switch to any screen other than outside view it clears it up.

-Pv-
04-09-07, 01:32 PM
I noticed more "popping" of the individual wave polys once in a while when I was on the X1300. That card just didn't have the horse power SH3 requires. When I moved to the X1950 those pops went away so I suspect hardware performance rather than graphics engine for any wave anomalies.
-Pv-

AVGWarhawk
04-09-07, 01:37 PM
I noticed more "popping" of the individual wave polys once in a while when I was on the X1300. That card just didn't have the horse power SH3 requires. When I moved to the X1950 those pops went away so I suspect hardware performance rather than graphics engine for any wave anomalies.
-Pv-
I would not say it does not have the horse power then again what X1300 did have? I purchased the Visiontech/Radeon X1300 XGE 512mb. My sliders are 1/2 or better. All boxes checked except EE (monolith of death), water glare (did not like it). The game performs very well. FPS are very good. Game play is smooth. IMHO the X1300 512mb has plenty of juice to render SH4 very well. I'm please with the performance of the card myself:yep:

People with your card are experiencing the same thing as well. shaking water after coming off TC. One Nvidia 7900GT card owner has the same thing.

BlackSpot
04-09-07, 04:30 PM
Nope, never seen shaking water. Sometimes I think we're all playing different versions of this game :o

flyingdane
04-09-07, 04:54 PM
Wow" i just ran into this today! one big bowl of blue-grey jello, nuts. :doh:

-Pv-
04-09-07, 05:50 PM
I'm not experiencing the wave "shaking" whatever that is, I assume it's noticable.
I only got 6 frames with the sliders down to half and all the graphics checkboxes off on my X1300 512. I now get 30 with all the graphics features on and maxed on the 1950 with no noticable problems. One difference is I do not use compression while at a 3D screen, only at the map (old habbit from SH3) so maybe I'm not activating the shaking feature.
-Pv-

Fearless
04-09-07, 05:55 PM
Same here - usually happens when coming out of high TC.

To add to a disturbing trend in this thread, though...

...using a Radeon X1950 Pro.

ANY nVidia users experiencing this? Or is this just another ATI bug in the game?

I have a nVidia 6200 256Mb card and it does the same thing. As stated in other posts, it happens when coming out of TC. Even when in map mode then going to bridge after TC. The other thing I found also was that after TC, the clouds move at a rapid pace as if they were still moving in TC mode but settle back to normal time movement after a short time.

Fearless
07-01-07, 07:35 PM
Has anyone managed to work out how to get rid of that shaking? I find it happening more regularly now. Surely changing the resolution is not part of the cause? :hmm:

Ilpalazzo
07-01-07, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I hope I don't start noticing this. I didn't know about the sun glare until after I read about it. Sometimes I think to myself that the waves look kinda "sharp" but I never noticed the ocean of jello.

Maybe Bill Cosby hacked ur games?

Fearless
07-01-07, 11:08 PM
Yeah and I think the only way to stop it from happening is not to go over 128x TC which is a pity. Hopefully a fix in the next patch will solve it.

Shyzar
07-01-07, 11:28 PM
I have an overclocked Nvidia 7600 GT and it seems to be jittering about half the time that I use external view (Only in external view though, not periscope).

Von Tonner
07-01-07, 11:50 PM
Same here nvidia(7900GT). switching screens or little TC ahead and its gone again...

Ditto (NX7300GS)

switch.dota
07-02-07, 01:15 AM
It seems to be a coming out TC problem. Clears up when you switch to another screen. Small anoyance.
Yeah, same here. Also, looking at the water through the scope at high zoom doesn'/t get me the bug while ext view or zoomed out periscope does get me this bug.

AVGWarhawk
07-02-07, 05:59 AM
One work around with the studdddddeeerrrs after high TC. Hit Ctrl key and N key. This changes the weather and stops the studders after high TC and coming out of it.

ahubu
09-24-07, 11:52 AM
I had shaking water, I'm not sure if it's the same as the TS means. It looks like waves caught in a incorrectly looping animation which it does not finish.

I solved it completely by putting "Max frames rendered ahead" at at least 1 or 2. Oblivion or other games have better mouse movement etc. with this setting on 0, that's why it was on this setting with me. Standard it is on 3, so everyone who tweaked it knows it. It can be found in the NVIDIA control panel (tweaked by coolbits).

Hawk_345
09-24-07, 03:35 PM
ive had this too, but it never lasts too long so to me, its no big deal.

ATI X1600Pro 512mb.

Goatman455
08-01-08, 05:38 PM
Same issue here but permanent and always in free camera mode. It only seems to happen when moving the camera slowly and zoomed in as when watching dives and surfaces. I just posted, can anyone find a fix, this happens always for me.

Just to let you know, I have sli gtx 280s with the latest drivers.

Thanks

Orion2012
08-01-08, 09:58 PM
I'm not experiencing the wave "shaking" whatever that is, I assume it's noticable.
I only got 6 frames with the sliders down to half and all the graphics checkboxes off on my X1300 512. I now get 30 with all the graphics features on and maxed on the 1950 with no noticable problems. One difference is I do not use compression while at a 3D screen, only at the map (old habbit from SH3) so maybe I'm not activating the shaking feature.
-Pv-

Same Here. Never seen it.

I run an nvidia 9800.

Defiance
08-02-08, 06:32 AM
Gone from nvid to ati to nvid to ati since having SH1.5

Latest card is a 4870 and i still get this

Had it with nvids too so not just ati related

Running a decent rig with 24" 1920x1200 res

Anyways only problem with Ctrl + N is in PE you may get massive stars at night after hitting those keys (unless it was just me lol)

Ahh edited: I run Both AA @ 4x and have all SH eye-candy on max, Maybe this influences things somewhat ???

Seminole
08-02-08, 07:35 AM
Never seen it. Wow. :o Now thats a first. :yep:

Hylander_1314
08-02-08, 01:35 PM
Howdy folks, if you read through this here thread : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135989

It is a problem that has been plaguing modders for some time. The best way to reduce it so far, and it's no cure all either, is to not go above 2048 in TC. Again, it's no cure all, but I have had reduced incidences of it occurring. Sometimes, ( if you don't have a convoy, or taskforce to worry about, after dropping to normal time, and you see the wierd water, go to your map screen again and bump the TC up to 128, or 256 for a few seconds. It does sometimes help out with the "jaggy" water after exiting warp speed.