PDA

View Full Version : Compass heading not matching periscope heading [RESOLVED]

Rcsubs
04-07-07, 04:01 PM
I do not know if anyone has had or noticed this problem but it has to do with the compass reading and the periscope reading.
I set my heading to 180 and was on that course for a couple of minutes, I was attacking a destroyer that was trying to sink my boat, I slowed my sub to 1/3 speed come to periscope depth for the attack, I had waited for the destroyer to get in front of me for a straight on shot at midships, I used the external camera to make sure the destroyer was running across my bow, went to periscope view to make my shot, destroyer was in periscope view at 180 degrees then I notice my compass was showing my heading as 330 degrees, I made my shot, 2 torpedos from the bow went to external camera view to check torpedo wakes, both torpedos left wakes from the bow and straight at the destroyers port side.:o

Has anyone else had this problem?:-?

Darrell

Gildor
04-07-07, 04:08 PM
Periscope bearing of 180 means it was behind you. The periscope view is realative to your bow not the compass.

Rcsubs
04-07-07, 09:01 PM
I stated in my post that I set my heading to 180 degrees, I checked the external camera view to watch the orange sub marker, I watched until the orange marker for a couple minutes to make sure it was indicating a straight path.
I realize that 180 degrees would be at my stern if I were heading north, however I was heading south putting the 360 degrees mark at my stern. :)

Gildor
04-07-07, 09:54 PM
All I am saying is it doesn't matter what your heading is because when you look through the periscope/binoculars the bearing you see while looking through them is relative to your bow. As you said that the bearing in your periscope was 180 that means that you are looking directly behind you. IF you were heading 045, 210 or even 156 it doesnt matter. If the periscope bearing says 090, the target is to your right, 270 the target is to your left, 000 directly in front.

The compass rosetta on the lower right that you use to steer is the only one that you look at to get your heading. The periscope scale has nothing to do with heading--it only tels you the direction you are looking from your bow.

You may be confusing the two. I dont think you can even fire bow torpedos with a persicope bearing of 180--that would be aft torpedos--the TDC would not allow it.

MikeJW
04-07-07, 10:10 PM
What Gildor said. The bearing on the periscope is so you know what direction you are looking at relative to your sub, not actual headiing. 000 is always directly in front, 90 is directly right and so on. If the target was 180 on your periscope then he was directly behind you and you needed the aft tubes.

-Pv-
04-08-07, 12:59 AM
Like everyone else said, in the parascope, TBT and binoculars 360 is ALWAYS your bow and 180 is ALWAYS your stern regardless of your sub's compass heading. When you get contact callouts from the crew, they are your relative bearing (relative to your bow) not compass direction.
-Pv-

Torpex752
04-08-07, 08:26 AM
Not correcting anyone here but just for Naval correctness, there is no 360, its 359 then 000. I dont know why but its been that way since at least 1918 that I can confirm. LOL

Frank
:cool:

Drokkon
04-08-07, 11:37 AM
A Blue Jackets Manual should help you out. It covers the differences of True bearing, and Relative bearing. Anything directly starboard(right) of your sub will be relative bearing of 90 degrees relative bearing. Directly port(left) will be 270 degrees relative bearing.

So if you are sailing a course due west true bearing of 270 and use your scope to see behind you the scope will read 180 relative bearing when viewing directly aft, even though on your compass directly astern will read 90 degrees true bearing.

I'm just glad it's 1940s so we also don't have to deal with magnetic north and true north;)

Rcsubs
04-08-07, 02:27 PM
Hello All,

All I was trying to tell everyone is that I noticed that it did not matter what direction or course change I made the compass did not move however last night I installed the Oaks Hud Gauges modification that was posted by OakGroove and then played the game, after the mod the compass worked, as my boat turned the compass reflected the course heading.:)
I knew that when I mentioned the 360 degree that it was wrong, the 000 reading is correct, however with the gauge mod that I installed north is 00.
Maybe the problem with my original compass was with the game on my pc?:-?

I have been installing some of the mods, I have found so many mods that I am not sure about which one to install. Is there a list of favorite mods anywhere? Is there a mod to fix the turn speed of US Fleet subs? It would be nice to be able to control each sub screw or at least a speed increase for a hard to starboard or port command because for a faster turn one screw was reversed to full while the other was at full forward. :D