PDA

View Full Version : SH IV, worth purchasing?

Sir Big Jugs
04-07-07, 03:59 PM
Or is SHIII+GWX the better option for now?
How is the bug situation, when d'ya think most problems will be solved?

Thx,
SBJ

Grothesj2
04-07-07, 04:12 PM
Really it all depends on how badly you want to sail in the Pacific. I couldnt wait to play and spent over 300 to be able to play it. Dont regret it. Yes, it has bugs, but they seem less serious to me than when SHIII was launched. The game is playable despite what some naysayers claim. So, if you have a desire to sail a new ocean and fight a new enemy, then yes, by all means, get it. If you get annoyed and shelf a game because of some bugs (many of which you can work around) then i would say wait.

Sailor Steve
04-07-07, 04:14 PM
There are bunches of threads voicing all different opinions on that question, from "It sux!" to "I love it!" Just take a look around; it's all been said.

nfitzsimmons
04-07-07, 04:15 PM
I've got both, and play them about equally. SHIV will better when the next patch is released, and the modders hit their stride, but it's still very playable as it is.

Gizzmoe
04-07-07, 04:16 PM
Or is SHIII+GWX the better option for now?
How is the bug situation, when d'ya think most problems will be solved?

OMG, he´s back! Run for the hills!!!!!!! Just kidding... ;) Welcome back, mate!

Crosseye76
04-07-07, 05:19 PM
Yes, it's worth it. :up:

mookiemookie
04-07-07, 06:16 PM
I'm loving it

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 06:20 PM
Is a six pack and large pizza with the works worth it? So what are you waiting for....go pick it up:yep: Pick up that pizza and six pack on the way home because once you load and get it running....your not going to want to get up.;)

Front Runner
04-07-07, 07:42 PM
I've got three copies....
One for me
One for myself
and one for I..

Seriously, I do have three copies. The USA version from Amazon, The Limited Edition Super Collectors version direct from UBI, and the UK Collectors version. I am playing off of the UK Collectors version DVD which arrived first.
I like to collect different versions of releases that I am particularly fond of.

Go ahead and get you a copy of SH4. Install it with the 1.1 patch and the Real Fleet Boat Mod, The CBS Radio Mod, and the Pearl Harbor Menu Mod. I tell ya, FDR's Day of Infamy Speech brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't wait to get my orders and set sail for the Bungo Suido.

John Channing
04-07-07, 08:05 PM
Read this...

http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter4.php

and if you are still on the fence then it probably isn't for you.

JCC

Sir Big Jugs
04-08-07, 01:40 AM
OMG, crewmen aboard surface ships?
That's it I'm getting it straight after easter.

Thx again,
Brewster

OMG, he´s back! Run for the hills!!!!!!! Just kidding... ;) Welcome back, mate!
:roll::sunny:

Harry Buttle
04-08-07, 02:14 AM
Personally, I'd say hold off - its not worth having as it stands, the bugs cripple it.

I have no doubt that it will be fixed in due course and then be great value, but what reason is there to waste your money right now - there is no guarantee that patch 1.2 will fix it to the extent it needs fixing. it won't get any more expensive to buy over time.

Sir Big Jugs
04-08-07, 02:33 AM
Personally, I'd say hold off - its not worth having as it stands, the bugs cripple it.

I have no doubt that it will be fixed in due course and then be great value, but what reason is there to waste your money right now - there is no guarantee that patch 1.2 will fix it to the extent it needs fixing. it won't get any more expensive to buy over time.

Hmm... What are the majority of the bugs related to, ie graphics, historical accuracy etc?

Maybe SH III+GWX is still the better option?

DanielMcintyre
04-08-07, 02:43 AM
Worthwhile if you want to muck around with a beta submarine 'game' but if you want to play a campaign and or a semi-realistic simulation I dont think this is the one your after.

The game killers imo are the sudden damage of essential systems (like your periscopes being destroyed out of combat from diving surfacing the boat) for no 'apparent' reason, the sudden death of crew members for no 'apparent' reason and the damage control model (I spent 45 minutes yesterday babysitting the DC and managed to recover the boat from serious damage yet 3 seconds after I had all systems back in order, all the newly repaired systems suddenly sustained extreme damage, were all destroyed and my career ended yet I was out of combat and at periscope depth).

There are a lot of other problems, such as realism aspects (destroyers exploding while ramming your sub and single deck gun battle victories against multiple gun multiple warships) as well as crashing and imcomplete systems.

GoldenRivet
04-08-07, 03:44 AM
most of the bigger bugs are more related to interface than anything else.

the game is a good game, but it was released far too prematurely with very poor quality assurance and has a lot of maturing to do.

But it IS worth purchasing. IMHO

Harry Buttle
04-08-07, 05:45 AM
I'd say the problems are mostly related to game play, the previously noted damage control issues are a real pain in the proverbial, the torpedo speed/TDC issues don't help, the swarm of beelining a/c are a pain etc etc.

Put together it blows the ability to get into the game for me.

I genuinely believe that it WILL be a great game, but right now it ISN'T a decent game.

I suspect that the 1.2 patch will fix a fair few of the glaring problems, but the 1.3 and 1.4 patches (traditionally 1.4 is the final patch) will take a very long time to come out, because there will still be a lot of detail to fix and only two chances to fix it.

This game released too early, I'm back on SH 3 and monitoring developments with SH 4.

Of course YMMV.

kiwi_2005
04-08-07, 07:19 AM
Its worth every damn penny in my books, just got the game less than 24 hrs ago and ive had very little sleep :) My first career ending in a disaster on the first patrol got sunk by two bombers while crash diving. Second career also ended in a disaster,:roll: just finish dropping off a spy near japan recieved message to head to another hell on high water Jap infested patrol( what was my commander thinking this is my first patrol man i am yet to figure out the manual targeting.:o:D). Heading to my next objective i am hassled continously by aircraft - zeros & bombers then i finally get owned by what i think was mines :shifty: while crash diving all hell breaks loose, depth gauge showing 387feet and sinking, deeper i go into the abyss...

Thats two careers ended on first patrol:88)alot was through my careless use of gameplay -im trying to master the controls, I thought yeah first couple of patrols will be pretty relaxed no problem.

Started up third career and i am carefull as, plus pretty jumpy :rotfl:

Get SHIV its a blast.

Rose
04-08-07, 07:23 AM
Yes.

joea
04-08-07, 08:06 AM

Hmm... What are the majority of the bugs related to, ie graphics, historical accuracy etc?

Maybe SH III+GWX is still the better option?

Dude don't just change your mind cause of one perosn, or get it because of what the others say. Read what is good/bad, the reviews, bug reports (sticky up top) keep in mind some bugs are not really bugs and the same went for SH3 ...oh and look what the modders are already doing. :up: There are genuine bugs, others are stuff the modders will have to fix (I am half convinced the devs set some things like air attacks to cater to the "action" crowd while allowing us realism types to tweak the cfgs.)

Anyway I will pick it up even if I can't play it yet just becasue I have faith in the devs and modders. :arrgh!:

partyboy
04-08-07, 08:43 AM
Personally, I'm really looking forward to patch 1.2. And if it fixes some of the major bugs that are troubling my patrols then it'll be like Christmas Day. If you don't play it now you'll miss out on that experience. That's one way to look at it :p

Mooncatt
04-08-07, 09:43 AM
yeah inho SH3 GWX is much better atm. i mean in sh4 you cannot use AA and AF settings which in some cases like mine :stare: i get a lot of really jaggy outlines and it looks real ugly, sh4 interface isnt as simple to use as in sh3 either, but im still playing sh4 its a pretty good game that once the modders get there hands on it wil be uber, i just wish i could improve my gfx

con20or
04-08-07, 09:54 AM
Ive been playing sub games for years, and I asked this same question on Thursday(?)

Since then ive gone from being unsure to shaking uncontrollably waiting for it. i have had a look at some of the screenshots on this forum, and for a game that looks like that Id buy it even if you didnt get to fire torpedoes, just sail around all day, diving and surfacing.

I really dont know what i was thinking not buying it straight away, the prodigal son has returned.

Here are my fav of the screen shots I found. Hoe this convinces you like it did me!!!

Taken from other peoples posts, hope they dont mind!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/shc8.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/Hungry_like_a_wolf.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/436489823_7194e4dbd4_b.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/garclassla8.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/SH4Img2-4-2007_22.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/SH4Img3-4-2007_1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/SH4Img26-3-2007_17-1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/SH4Img27-3-2007_0.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/shkl7.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/uw5.jpg

God help me, where is the postman...

Skubber
04-08-07, 10:10 AM
IMO the game is quite playable now.
I found it worth it just for the visual effects.

I guess it would be concerning if there isn't going to be another patch, because there are issues.

And some things badly need to be modded. The deck gun reload is ridiculously fast, for instance. But rest assured, it will be modded (if it hasn't already.)

The only deal breaker I can think of is if you have an older, slower machine and can't upgrade. The graphics demands on your system are pretty intense.

Overall, however, I am very impressed with the game.

Mooncatt
04-08-07, 10:15 AM
how come those screenies are nice and smooth unlike mine which are jaggy as hell

con20or
04-08-07, 10:27 AM
either they have top end systems, or theyve been photoshopping them:cry:

Hope they havent, i hope the game will look like that!

Mud
04-08-07, 10:31 AM
either they have top end systems, or theyve been photoshopping them:cry:

Hope they havent, i hope the game will look like that!
One shot is mine (last one) and I assure you no photoshopping and played on a average system with a geforce 6600 gt.

Mud

con20or
04-08-07, 10:36 AM
great to hear:D

Great shot too:rock:

Sir Big Jugs
04-08-07, 01:15 PM
Lots of mixed replies, thanks to all of you. Reading your replies it seems as if I'll probably going to get SH IV when patch 1.2 is released, I hatè bugs... But those GFX are AMAZING! Does anyone have any word of when 1.2 will be released?:lol:

Anyway, some of you may have heard that I sold my copy of SH III a couple of months ago (bored of it, and low on cash), then repurchased an internet version which didn't work too well at all.
So, today I'm out for a walk when I see a garage sale, and naturally go to investigate if there's something interesting there. And... There it was, a copy of SH III for 2€, albeit it was a bit scratched I bought it and... well, here I am, playing SH III+GW again and loving it. It's a curse, I tell you.:doh::|\\

Sir Big Jugs
04-08-07, 01:18 PM
How come those screenies are nice and smooth unlike mine which are jaggy as hell?

What graphics card are you using? I recommend downloading the latest drivers and setting anti-aliasing to 4 or 6, which will remove the jags from most games.

-SBJ

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 01:28 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/sh42007-04-0812-52-30-96.jpg

This straight out of my game. Sliders at midway or better. I have the visiontek X1300 XGE 512mb card. AMD 3200+ and 1 gig RAM.

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 01:31 PM
How come those screenies are nice and smooth unlike mine which are jaggy as hell?

What graphics card are you using? I recommend downloading the latest drivers and setting anti-aliasing to 4 or 6, which will remove the jags from most games.

-SBJ

AA is not supported in this game. My jaggies get better if the post processing filter is used.