PDA

View Full Version : Open tube doors and radar operators

kevtherev
04-06-07, 12:44 PM
I am relative new to SH4, as are many, but up to press have found it very enjoyable. Have completed two complete missions at 'Normal' difficulty level with some success and as a consequence am feeling just a little proud of myself. A couple of things are giving me small problems, maybe someone can help.
Firstly, how do I close a torp tube door without having to fire the torp or without having to select another. I have tried the 'q' key for open/close as per. manual however this key only opens the tube door, there is also no indications as to any door being open. Surely this would be a dangerouse situation when diving deep ! Should there not be some indication at the Managment Station ? :-?
Secondly, how do I stop the radar operators sending me reports even when the radar stations are switched off ?. Not really important but very annoying when approaching Midway to refuel under time acceleration.:x

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 12:55 PM
Hit the W key and it will cycle to the next tube. The door will close on the previous tube. And, no, cycling with the W key does not open the tube you cycled. You have to hit the Q key to do that.

Radar is somewhat buggy in my eye. I do not believe it turns off even with the switch. I could be wrong though.

BTW, welcome aboard!

kevtherev
04-07-07, 03:38 AM
Many thanks, both for the welcome and info. The 'w' key does indeed close an open torpedoe tube door but only at shallow depths, not when you are deep. I am not sure if an open door plays a part in the subs integrity when deep, if it does then there should be some indication or warning. :hmm:
Another, probably silly thing, is that during my succesfull missions I had several slightly ill crew members who during the events gradually became fully o/k. On return to Pearl I was awarded some Purple Hearts for distribution. Not having taken note of whom were ill how can I ascertain to whom these 'medical medals' should be awarded. I know that this is probably immaterial but I would not like to have a mutiny on my hands through wrong awarding. :-?
Once again many thanks and, despite the negative responses to SH4, I for one totally enjoy the sim and am sure that with time it will equal or even better SH3. Keep it up you guys at UBI.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 05:35 AM
Yes, torpedo doors can not be opened at deep depths. The doors do make up the structural integrity of the sub. This is true to life aspect of WW2 submarines/uboats. In SH3 a crewman would say, 'to deep to launch' I do not know if it is the same in SH4 as I have not tried to open my doors while deep.

There is a known bug for crewmen getting ill or dying on the conning tower. I do not believe it happens in every sub. Currently I'm in a porpoise class and my men are not dying. When in port, click and drag the Purple Heart medal over the man you wish to award it to. Also, you can drag that man over to the left to dismiss him for another if you want.

Yes, SH4 is definitly a diamond in the rough. New patch on the way and modders going at it.....we will be looking at a 10 carat diamond for years to come.

joea
04-07-07, 06:11 AM
There is a known bug for crewmen getting ill or dying on the conning tower. I do not believe it happens in every sub. Currently I'm in a porpoise class and my men are not dying.

Well I just re-read Neil's SH4 preview and it said something about men getting injured during monsoon's maybe bad weather can injure men. the complaints could come from those running at high TC so they won't notice bad weather. :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 06:16 AM
I don't know Joea. I messed with the Gato and my men turn pink and health shows like 84. They do not seem to get better. Same happened with S class. Currently I have the porpoise class and my men are good as gold. I do have to say I have not experienced monsoon like weather in this sub as yet. Perhaps we jumped the gun on a possible bug issue and men dying. I'm not really sure at this point. The monsoon and TC aspect needs some looking into. One thing is for sure, put my butt on the conning tower during a monsoon and I'm sure I would be beat up;) . I think I would just like to be the mess cook for now:roll:

I would have to say I do not hear "AA gun damaged' every time I surface now. Very strange indeed.

Quillan
04-07-07, 09:37 AM
I've read that if the conning tower gets damaged, even after repair it can randomly cause damage to the watch crew. I haven't personally experienced it yet, however, so I can't confirm.

BlackSpot
04-07-07, 09:58 AM
Crew health is an odd one. How come the guy on the deck gun gets injured when the boat's submerged and the deck gun receives damage from a depth charge?

Last time this happened, I swapped him with another crew member. The deck gun guy promptly went to sleep and woke up some time later feeling a lot better (100% health) I did notce that his morale had changed to "shaken". :D