PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issue... Sliders up but graphics still bad?

Camaero
04-06-07, 12:19 AM
Hi all, I have most of the sliders to the max in my game, except for the environmental effects. Still, the graphics look worse than SHIII.

Anyone have ideas? Here is a screenshot:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/camaero/Untitled-1.jpg
I apologize for the size for any 56kers.

Rip
04-06-07, 12:27 AM
What resolution are you running?

If it is high you are probably seeing the effect of the lack of AA and resolution scaling. Two of the top ten issues for many people. Many hoping they can resolve it.

SaltyMcSushi
04-06-07, 12:27 AM
Did you put the resolution to the maximim? At default resolution, your screen looks like someone spread vasaline on your monitor because of the "gritty" affect the game creates.

Camaero
04-06-07, 12:31 AM
Actually, the resolution is 1024 x 768. My computer could probably handle a 1280 x 1024 though. It doesn't seem like thats the problem though.... I will go check and report back.

Camaero
04-06-07, 12:37 AM
Ok, just changed the resolution to 1280x1024 and it still looked the same.

Ugh... I thought I would be turning the graphics down in SHIV not trying to turn them up!:cry:

I appreciate the help you guys are offering, any other ideas?

Rwolf
04-06-07, 04:45 AM
I had crappy graphics (blurred) due to some settings in my ATI Catalyst Control Center for performance; I changed all sliders forcing to 'quality' and it looked much better.
Maybe something similar happens to your card?

Rilder
04-06-07, 05:13 AM
It also might have some underlying settings that change depenending on your card, when I went from my x550 to my X1950 there was a notable graphic boost with even same settings I had used on my x550, like for example no matter what settings I had with my x550 the crewmen always looked like they were in full like, now they don't.

Hanzo
04-06-07, 05:19 AM
The lack of a true resolution beyond 1024x768 (It just scales up beyond that resolution) makes the game look even uglier and blurrier on an LCD screen :(

The 'ugliness' you are seeing is coming from the jaggies, that sadly won't disappear even if you set the resolution to max.

Once we get AA and 'true' resolution options with the next patch (here's hoping :hmm:) the game will look much better for you!

OakGroove
04-06-07, 05:34 AM
Some things that should help with excess blurriness:

1. Enable vsync via main.cfg in your documents folder by changing Synchronized=No to Synchronized=Yes.

2. Force Anisotropic filtering via your GPU control applet

3. Providing your GPU control applet supports this setting - Change LOD Bias to a negative value. Using ATT this setting can be found D3D>Settings>Additional>Texture Lod Adjustment

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 07:14 AM
Uhmmm....I must be blind but the picture looks ok to me;). Is your post processing filter on? I can not play without it.

basilio
04-06-07, 09:59 AM
I'm VERY disappointed by the graphics too, considering that I just purchased a new video card for this game.
From ATI 9800 XT to ATI X1950 PRO 512 MB.
Please could someone be so kind to take a look at the screenshots in my thread here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110860 and tell me if there is something wrong with my (new) card???
EDIT: the above thread was moved.
Pictures are here now http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107783&page=12

SteamWake
04-06-07, 10:11 AM
Im running mine at 1280X1024 on a 19" flat screen with an ATI card and it looks pretty darn good.

The only thing that bothers me is the phosperescent wakes at night.

basilio
04-06-07, 10:31 AM
Im running mine at 1280X1024 on a 19" flat screen with an ATI card and it looks pretty darn good
I'm happy for you, because I honestly don't see anything "pretty darn good" on this
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8692/70286566ab0pi9.jpg

Spaxspore
04-06-07, 11:03 AM
Im running mine at 1280X1024 on a 19" flat screen with an ATI card and it looks pretty darn good I'm happy for you, because I honestly don't see anything "pretty darn good" on this

here is the example if what it should look like, @ max settings with post proccss (no vsync & forced AA)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Spaxspore/sh42007-03-2722-16-20-37.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Spaxspore/sh42007-03-2020-07-06-17.jpg

also whats your vid drivers and direct x version.

And take a screen shot of your ingame settings

Marko_Ramius
04-06-07, 11:11 AM
I really understand what you means, guys who find the graphics not so good ..

When i first launch the game, and because i had read some reviews and seen good screenies, i nearly blow up :o :down: I was thinking that i was having a problem with my graphic card .. but no, it was normal :damn:

Though, more i try to play, more i find some beautiful stuff in it. The water rendering, the explosions, sunset, sunrise, the light, etc ...

But i really don't like te "cartoons effect" sometimes i see ( Sub base with those trees, for exemple)

It is is a strange feeling : a beautiful game but, in the same time, it is awfull :hmm: :ping:

The Devs said they will adress the lack of FSAA and resolution, so let's hope ;)

EDIT : One issue with the graphic is very difficult to see on screenshot. When you see it in motion, ther is a strange effect, like some kind of "waves" ( difficult to explain, can't find the words) + the jaggies = awfull

basilio
04-06-07, 11:37 AM
here is the example if what it should look like, @ max settings with post proccss (no vsync & forced AA)
also whats your vid drivers and direct x version.
And take a screen shot of your ingame settings
Hello, many thanks for you answer and pictures.
My Pc specs:
Pentium 4, 3 Ghz.
Video card: ATI Radeon X1950 PRO with 512 RAM
2 Gig of RAM
Silent Hunter graphic options are ALL to the max, everything checked apart from the "windowed mode".
Resolution "1280x1024": we all know that it is not the 3d real "resolution".
Ati Catalyst Control Center: all settings to the maximum (quality).
AA 6x (adaptive AA enabled)-"forced", so no application preference
AF 16X-"forced", so no application preference
Drivers: catalyst 7.3
Direct X 9 (don't know the version, but I installed it again from the SH4 disk).
Could you please replicate on your PC my screenshot?
Should be very easy, as I took it just at the beginning of the SECOND tutorial (armory training).

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 11:42 AM
Though, more i try to play, more i find some beautiful stuff in it. The water rendering, the explosions, sunset, sunrise, the light, etc ...

I thought they looked strange also until I really started playing with the post processing on. I find the graphic very nice and a change from the usual. In fact, I think the PPF is very cool and I like the effect.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 12:27 PM

I thought they looked strange also until I really started playing with the post processing on. I find the graphic very nice and a change from the usual. In fact, I think the PPF is very cool and I like the effect.

I tried the PPF and it left strange phosphorescent blotches and a "matte lilke" view.

I still get the "glowing wake" at night. Anyone know how to tweak that out ?

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 12:34 PM

I tried the PPF and it left strange phosphorescent blotches and a "matte lilke" view.

:hmm: What video card do you have?

SteamWake
04-06-07, 12:45 PM
Okay now Im gonna look like an ass I said ATI in my previous post but ... ooops :cry:

Nvidia 9800 something. Not absolutly sure Im at work. When Im at home I play not post :up:

RickC Sniper
04-06-07, 12:49 PM
I also get the "matte" or "looking through a screen door" effect using PPF. I have to turn it off.

ATI x1950xtx at 1680x1050 which is the native resolution for my LCD.

Rick

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 12:50 PM
Is the 9800 supported? Does Nvidia make a 9800?

Seadogs
04-06-07, 12:56 PM
9800 is an ATI card.

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 12:59 PM
Ahhh.....9800 I believe is not supported. Could be your issue then. I have the ATI X1300 XGE 512mb with the new drivers and have not one issue. Search the forums for ATI9800 card issues.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 01:02 PM
Ill follow up on this when I get home...

Im confused now and dont remember which card I have LMAO

Camaero
04-06-07, 01:14 PM
I have a 9800XT and I am using the latest Omega drivers. If my card is not supported then I guess this could be the problem... :nope:

I would be perfectly happy if the graphics at least equalled SHIII. It just kills my experience the way it is now unfortunately.

tycho102
04-06-07, 01:58 PM
Im running mine at 1280X1024 on a 19" flat screen with an ATI card and it looks pretty darn good I'm happy for you, because I honestly don't see anything "pretty darn good" on this

Looks good to me. I guess I'm too busy sinking ships to have that high of expectations.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 02:37 PM
:yep: Okay finally got home... Im running on an ATI Radeon X1800 series.

Driver version 8.33.0 Im going to check for updates right now.

OddjobXL
04-06-07, 06:08 PM

Run a google on "phosphorescent wake" and you'll see that's likely an intended effect. :)

SteamWake
04-06-07, 06:09 PM
Silly bump here but Ive made a discovery.

I updated my drivers to the newest version and saw little or no difference. But while screwing around with different settings to get it where I liked I discovered this.

Gamma settings have a HUGE impact on graphic quality !

The higher you set the gamma slider the "grainer" the graphics are. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. Dont belive me ? Slide the gamma up high, you cant help but notice how the image quality goes to hell.

I still have the glow in the dark wakes though :doh:

edit; Spelling and grammer

Camaero
04-06-07, 08:20 PM
I don't know... I was going to be perfectly happy with SHIV in its buggy state as long as I had something pretty to look at and wait for the modders to pump out the goods. The game looks a lot worse than SHIII ever did and it lacks the gameplay GWX has provided.

So do you guys think that it is my graphics card for sure? Or is it possible there is just some setting somewhere I need to tweak, or is this a common problem that will be fixed in a patch?
:doh:

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 06:44 AM
Silly bump here but Ive made a discovery.

I updated my drivers to the newest version and saw little or no difference. But while screwing around with different settings to get it where I liked I discovered this.

Gamma settings have a HUGE impact on graphic quality !

The higher you set the gamma slider the "grainer" the graphics are. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. Dont belive me ? Slide the gamma up high, you cant help but notice how the image quality goes to hell.

I still have the glow in the dark wakes though :doh:

edit; Spelling and grammer

Yes, gamma can make a world of difference. I have not see the glow in the dark waves though.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 06:50 AM
The game looks a lot worse than SHIII ever did and it lacks the gameplay GWX has provided.

You comparing a sports car to horse and buggy when comparing GWX gameplay and SH4. To be sure at this stage of the game...not a fair comparison. In time, SH4 modders will put a handle on it.

As far as looking worse....PPF has put a new face on the gaming experience for me. I think the PPF graphic are wonderful. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/sh42007-03-2511-25-42-82.jpg

This is pleasing to my eye. But hey, that's just me;)

Hartmann
04-07-07, 10:26 AM
Could be interesting the possibility of have a clear graphics as a option, remove all filters and have a clear graphics like other simulators.. and not grained only like a cartoon or a too amplified photograph.

It looks like if i were using a bad glasses, but not, itīs the game engine :doh: and the filters.

some times is very difficult or impossible convert a horse in a sports car.:roll:

BlackSpot
04-07-07, 10:31 AM
If you force the anisotropic filtering the textures become much sharper. I've done this on my X1800XT, I've set it to x4 with no loss of frame rate.

Camaero
04-07-07, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I KNOW that SHIV will be completely awesome once the final patches are out and the modders have their time to enhance it. I can already see, in the short time I have played, some amazing potential. The way the ships list when they are hit, the way you have crews jumping onto liferafts... It's great! Everything just looks a lot more realistic and natural.

The only thing I am trying to fix, if at all possible, is the blury textures on ships. Even the ocean looks like crap. AVG, the water you have in your picture looks way better than it does in mine!

I made some tweaks to my graphics card, so I am going to give it another go in a few minutes here. I haven't played with gama yet either.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I KNOW that SHIV will be completely awesome once the final patches are out and the modders have their time to enhance it. I can already see, in the short time I have played, some amazing potential. The way the ships list when they are hit, the way you have crews jumping onto liferafts... It's great! Everything just looks a lot more realistic and natural.

The only thing I am trying to fix, if at all possible, is the blury textures on ships. Even the ocean looks like crap. AVG, the water you have in your picture looks way better than it does in mine!

I made some tweaks to my graphics card, so I am going to give it another go in a few minutes here. I haven't played with gama yet either.

It took me several attempts of trial and error to get the graphics to were they are very pleasing to my eye. Every time I load and play I'm suprised at what I see. The noted picture above was close to what pleased me to no end. I adjust gamma up some because night time was to dark for anyones good.

Play this game a few hours with PPF on and it will grow on you like alge to a rock on the shores of a sunny beach.

I fear most have attempted PPF and just plainly said, this looks like crap and proceeded to push AA through for that SH3 sterile world look. When I turned on PPF I never looked back. The ships/sea/crew/environment came alive.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-07, 03:23 PM
Could be interesting the possibility of have a clear graphics as a option, remove all filters and have a clear graphics like other simulators.. and not grained only like a cartoon or a too amplified photograph.

It looks like if i were using a bad glasses, but not, itīs the game engine :doh: and the filters.

some times is very difficult or impossible convert a horse in a sports car.:roll:

Yes, clearer graphics might be nice like other simulators but the thought of PPF was not to be like other simulators. PPF is a breath of fresh air to the sterile virtual world I experience in other simulators. It would be a nice option to be able to choose.

As far as amplified or cartoon like, perhaps my trial and error tuning my card and sliders created what is pleasing to my eye. The graphics do not look amplified nor cartoon like to me. At this point, it would not matter to me is SH4 supported AA or not. I like what I see at the moment and it is good.

Rwolf
04-07-07, 04:10 PM
Crappy 3D results in SH4 is controllable by CCC on my ATI9800Pro:

3D section:
Antialiasing tab:
---------------
checkbox off: application control

either:
slider 4x
checkbox off: Temporal Anti-aliasing

or:
slider 6x
checkbox on: Temporal Anti-aliasing

Adaptive antialiasing tab:
------------------------
checkbox off: Temporal AA

Anisotropic filter tab:
--------------------
checkbox off: use application setting

either:
per-pixel samples slider 4x
checkbox on: high quality AF

or:
per-pixel samples slider 8x
checkbox off: high quality AF

catalyst AI tab:
---------------
checkbox off: disable catalyst AI (so its enabled)
catalyst AI slider: advanced

Mipmap detail level tab:
-----------------------
Mipmap level slider 'performance' (2nd fastest setting)

(other 3D tabs are the same settings, in different groupings, it seems)

Allowing application control, or lowering settings makes a fuzzy beer-googled 3D view, while the 2D panels are still sharp.

my .2c

Then again, other games require faster settingsso as not to become slideshows.

CruiseTorpedo
04-07-07, 04:10 PM
SH4 looks cartoon like to me and a few others I know personally who own it. I'm not a big fan of this filter, I like SH3's look a lot better but the water effects are great and I like how you can see through the surface too

Marko_Ramius
04-07-07, 04:12 PM
I agree with AVGWarhawk in the fact that more you play with PPF, more you like it. I's exacly what happened to me.

BTW, i'm sure that if the Devs fix the FSAA problem, and maybe the resolution, we will have the most outstanding graphic quality we never have. But for me, this isn't the case, actually ..

I made some investigations on tweaking the graphic driver, and the better i found is :

For an ATI X1900XT with 7.3 Without CCC but using Ati Tray Tool

FSAA : Application controlled ( :cry: )

Anisotropic filtering : X4 Quality with trilinear // Enable High Quality : Unchecked

Texture Pref and MipMap Detail Level : High Quality

Vsync : Application preference ( Activated in "MainCfg.dat" in Savegame folder)

Additionnal :

Anisotropic optimisation and trilinear optimisation : Unchecked

Geometry instancing : Checked

Catalyst IA : Off

Flip queue size : 2 ( cure some lag in mouse pointer)

Texture Lod Adjustement : -2 / -4 ( Someone in this post mentioned this and it is good :up: )

All other tweak to default value.

It is certainly possible to obtain better, but i don't want waste too much time at tweaking hardware ;), time to play ..

Ark
04-07-07, 05:06 PM

You aren't forcing FSAA.

FSAA is not useable in SHIV yet. *crosses fingers*

;)

HarleyRider
04-08-07, 11:18 AM
I have tried to us FSAA in SH4 and all it does in due time is crash the game . The bottom line for me is to just play the game "as is" until they come out with the patches. :hmm: Hopefully it won't be much longer. (:rotfl: )

Cheers!!!