PDA

View Full Version : Midway battle on campaign

ragnarok83
04-05-07, 07:41 PM
Sorry if this was posted before but I am new to this forum. I used to play a sub game called aces of the deep way back in the day and decided to try out this game as well. I really enjoy it but I was wondering about a message I receive that tells me of a battle that will happen near midway island. I took my sub there but I could never find any japanese naval forces.

Anyway I was wondering what I am doing wrong or if this is a bug. I really was looking forward in taking part of some historical naval battles and I already missed out in the Coral Sea one. Is there a mod that fixes this or maybe a bug fix in the 1.2 patch? Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Seadogs
04-05-07, 07:49 PM
I believe I read a thread that the Japanese task force timing is way off, it cruises around January or something. Search it up.

Edit: Found it. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109531&highlight=midway+japanese

Well at least it's a quote of the important part. :damn:

ragnarok83
04-05-07, 08:12 PM
Is it the same for all major historical naval battles or is Midway the only one that is bugged?

Jace11
04-05-07, 08:26 PM
I believe the problem with the midway campaign event lies in the campaign.cfg file..

e.g

[Section 82]
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/CoralSeaBattle.mis
StartDate=19420201
EndDate=19420915
GameModes=SinglePatrol,Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
EntryFocalPointLong=0
EntryFocalPointLat=0
MaximumDistanceFromStartPoint=90000
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=0
[Section 83]
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/BattleOfMidway.mis
StartDate=19420201 <------ HERE!!!! change to 19420602 and it should run ok... (i think!!! - I could test with a single patrol?)
EndDate=19420915
GameModes=SinglePatrol,Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
EntryFocalPointLong=0
EntryFocalPointLat=0
MaximumDistanceFromStartPoint=90000
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=0

Tobowsi
04-05-07, 08:35 PM
I took my sub there but I could never find any japanese naval forces.

My last patrol fell during the Midway battle.

I found one task force around 32 degrees, 30 minutes North by 179 degrees, 45 minutes West. (That one had carriers)

The other task force I found had two BB's in it and was around 31 degrees, 45 minutes North by 176 degrees, 10 minutes East.

Your mileage may vary but those are the general spots where I found mine.

Onkel Neal
04-05-07, 10:06 PM
I believe the problem with the midway campaign event lies in the campaign.cfg file..

FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/BattleOfMidway.mis
StartDate=19420201 <------ HERE!!!! change to 19420602 and it should run ok... (i think!!! - I could test with a single patrol?)
EndDate=19420915

Good find, awaiting the results of your test, mate.

ragnarok83
04-05-07, 11:16 PM
Sorry guys this is probally a noob question but since I dont know much about computers i'll post anyway. How do you open a cfg file?

stinger503
04-05-07, 11:25 PM
I'm not positive but i think you can open them with notepad. I know you can do it with .UPC files.

ragnarok83
04-05-07, 11:30 PM
Well I changed the date to what you said. I was already in the mission to patrol honshu island. This was the same mission where I got the midway battle, or at least the news of the midway battle. I would say this was about 7 or so days before the battle was supposed to start. I went to midway yet there was still no enemy ships there. Do i need to restart the entire campaign over or maybe load the game from the the previous mission?

tater
04-06-07, 04:22 PM
The midway battle needs serious work. The ships are wrong (the CVs are fine since they had to fill in for Akagi and Kaga which are not modelled). The number of IJN CVs is wrong. The spacing of the ships is a joke (CVs should be 7000m apart in a box with the screening BBs and CAs out farther than that). Haven't even looked at the US forces yet. A real mess. All the CVs need to have their airgroups rediced, otherwise the CVs seem to exist solely to fly ASW patrols (something the IJN pretty much didn't do at all, much less with every plane on the CV).

tater

ragnarok83
04-06-07, 06:41 PM
Well I loaded up the game from a previous save. It was while I was docked at Pearl Harbor on May 4 I think. When I went out on my next patrol, I got the same messed up midway battle. I am next going to try playing from the beginning. I really enjoy this game but some of these bugs are disappointing.

WFGood
04-06-07, 07:12 PM
The midway battle needs serious work. The ships are wrong (the CVs are fine since they had to fill in for Akagi and Kaga which are not modelled). The number of IJN CVs is wrong. The spacing of the ships is a joke (CVs should be 7000m apart in a box with the screening BBs and CAs out farther than that). Haven't even looked at the US forces yet. A real mess. All the CVs need to have their airgroups rediced, otherwise the CVs seem to exist solely to fly ASW patrols (something the IJN pretty much didn't do at all, much less with every plane on the CV).

tater

It may not be able to be done at least as far as the ships themselves go. I remeber reading somewhere that the GWX gang was trying to model accurate convoys but found they couldn't. The computer could not handle the increased number of ships. Would it even affect anything? I mean does the base at Midway get severely damaged during that time? Do the planes actually take off from a carrier and attack the base, or do the American carriers attack the Japanese? I haven't been in position to check during the times.

Jace11
04-06-07, 07:17 PM
Sorry that change doesnt work...

I will delete that.. It did look to be the problem, but I sat and waited and they never showed...

Not sure what the problem is. The layer gets called too early but changing the date doesnt seem to help. In the actual layer, the carrier group is set too early too. Maybe I'll try setting both to June.

Again sorry for raising false hopes - I certainly think it has something to do with it...

I know someone has seen Nagumos TF, but he didnt say when..

WFGood
04-06-07, 07:34 PM
Does it say where it spawns? I mean if it spawns in the Japanese Islands and travels across the Pacific, then it may only need to be moved up a little it. I mean if they leave Japan in June, then they won't make it in time for the battle.

Jace11
04-06-07, 09:11 PM
http://mpgtext.net/subshare/691Midway%20fix.zip

Extract these files and put them in \Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Campaigns\Campaign

I tested it and they turn up now... Watch out for the planes as you spend alot of time underwater hiding from them...

Was pretty cool actually, but then the fog rolled in... the carriers were there alright, but I couldn't get a shot off..

I'm pretty sure they were not working before. Also, make sure you are in the right place...

-179.85 by 32.21, at 1847 on 4th June 1942, they should roll right over... Getting the correct position is vital, note these are in decimal, whereas the ingame map isnt so make sure you arent at the wrong 179???

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/446/sh4img74200723226953cm0.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh4img74200723226953cm0.jpg)

-Pv-
04-06-07, 09:36 PM
Now how about the US forces? Do they also arrive on time to give us a show on the 4th and 5th? I was amazed to learn there were 25 US sub involved in the 2 day battle.
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Midway/maps/USMC-M-Midway-2.gif

-Pv-

WFGood
04-06-07, 10:05 PM

Extract these files and put them in \Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Campaigns\Campaign

I tested it and they turn up now... Watch out for the planes as you spend alot of time underwater hiding from them...

Was pretty cool actually, but then the fog rolled in... the carriers were there alright, but I couldn't get a shot off..

I'm pretty sure they were not working before. Also, make sure you are in the right place...

-179.85 by 32.21, at 1847 on 4th June 1942, they should roll right over... Getting the correct position is vital, note these are in decimal, whereas the ingame map isnt so make sure you arent at the wrong 179???

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/446/sh4img74200723226953cm0.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh4img74200723226953cm0.jpg)

awesome job!

ragnarok83
04-06-07, 10:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I was really looking forward to the major battles in the campaign. Lets hope that the patch fixes this for good.

Tobowsi
04-07-07, 12:05 AM
I don't think any mods are necessary to do the Midway battle in a career, because I've done it.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I ran into two task forces during a patrol that left Pearl a couple days before the battle occurred.

The first was on June 6th around 11:30 am and included 3 Shokaku carriers, a Kongo BB, a couple Agano light cruisers, a couple Mogami heavy cruisers, and a bunch of destroyers. That task force was heading SSE.

The second task force included a couple Kongos and was heading W. I think I ran across that one the following day, but I don't have a screenshot to confirm the date and time for that task force. (I have screenies, but none with the captain's log or a "enemy unit destroyed" type message with a timestamp, that is.)

See the following link for the general areas where the task forces were at: http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3875/midwaytg7.jpg

I attacked several ships in the first task force, but only the two Kongos in the second. They were close enough where they appear as one icon on the map at that zoom level.

Anyway, there ARE task forces out there to find for the Battle of Midway.

tater
06-04-07, 12:39 AM
A new mod by me redoing Midway that needs testing:

http://mpgtext.net/subshare/192Battle%20of%20Midway%20beta.rar

It's strictly a Campaign mod.

-Pv-
06-04-07, 02:50 PM
Prior to these last two posts, I had attempted twice to join the battle by doing each of the following:
1) Marking on the map the historical location of the main carrier and cruiser strike groups and patrolling a circle around these two locations for two days.
2) Marking on the map the location used by the single mission Midway battle scenario and patrolling that area for two days. No contacts or HQ messages.

In each of these attemps, I only got a lone friendly freighter.

Where I seem to have failed is not playing to the 6th or later. It's my impression everyone was limping home by the 6th so when I had nothing to go by through the 4th, 5th and morning of the 6th, I gave up.
-Pv-

tater
06-04-07, 03:07 PM
Was that the stock mission, PV, or the one I just posted? I really need to move the waypoints, but for this version I left the waypoints of the stock SH4 midway (campaign mission, the single mission is completely different) as they were. As a result, the CVs never get closer than maybe 300nm from Midway.

Anyway, I went and waited along their ingress path, and saw the force (in pretty poor weather :-/ )

The stock Midway in the campaign is less than stuning, to say the least.

-Pv-
06-04-07, 03:17 PM
Stock. I have not used your mod. I was experimenting with the unmodded program to see what I could learn about how Midway was handled in the game.
-Pv-

tater
06-04-07, 04:24 PM
The stock midway units leave home 19420101 instead of 19420601.

The Campaign.cfg will load the mission if your patrol starts on/after 19420201. So it will load the mission for patrols after Feb 2, but the ships are back home before that. No Midway without a mod.

The stock midway is also really crappy, and not for any gameplay/balance reasons. Mine is easy to turn on and off without messign with the default layers, BTW, if you'd like to play with it. I also think someone made a mod doing no more than fixing the unit timings to start in June, not January (they should leave port May 27th, but that's another story ;) )

tater

Lopo
06-12-07, 06:34 AM
A new mod by me redoing Midway that needs testing:

http://mpgtext.net/subshare/192Battle%20of%20Midway%20beta.rar

It's strictly a Campaign mod.

Tater, Jace11

I need some help... for a stupid question:
What I have to download in order to do the Battle of Midway during my career: the mod just above by Tater or the mod made by Jace11?

Thanks a lot...

Beery
06-12-07, 08:44 AM
I don't think any mods are necessary to do the Midway battle in a career, because I've done it...

Me too. I couldn't catch them but they seemed to be there at the right time.

tater
06-12-07, 08:49 AM
Beery, When I looked at the default Midway I believe that some of the groups had the wrong start/enter dates, but not all of them. So some forces are 19420601 as they should be, but the Nagumo force (which is a little too far north) was 19420101 still (in 1.2). So if you got a contact report, I'm willing to bet it was the Main Body that as I recall had the proper 19420601 enter date, and is just a little south of the Nagumo force path in game. So if you saw it on the map, it would be hard to tell it wasn't Nagumo.

-Pv-
06-23-07, 09:51 PM
I was going to try this mod tonight but couldn't figure out what to do with the "tsr" file included in the archive. There is a file with a similar name in the Single Missions directory (which didn't seem like the right place) and I could find no other. I also thought you had to correct the start date of the forces in the GattleOfMidway.mis file but didn't see that included in the archive. What part of the picture am I missing?

Scratch that. I was working with the wrong mod archive. Trying again with the tater mis file.

Now I ask:
Does this mod only work if I load a save/patrol start that starts on or before June 1, or can I load a save that starts about a week before the battle?
-Pv-

tater
06-23-07, 10:18 PM
You need to be in port for this to work. It loads based on the time the patrol starts (like all campaign layers).

The tsr file doesn't matter. Any time a mission is edited, it adds a blank one, you can throw it away if you like.

-Pv-
06-23-07, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried using the mis file from a port save I have that starts mid May '42. I get a "encountered a problem" dialog. Restoring the original BOM mis file allows me to play the game. I'm also using the original Campaign.cfg file. The only other mod I have installed is the N/S radar fix .sim file. Everything else is stock SH4 1.2.
-Pv-