PDA

View Full Version : Diving?

uniquemind
04-04-07, 04:13 PM
I am sorry first of all if this is a known bug or has been discussed before, but does the Sub dive:-? I have given the order to go down to say 100 (excuse lack of correct terminology) :oops: and yet although I am being told the depth in intervals, when I watch from the external Camera my sub is just below the surface?! Is anyone else seeing this? :-?

Apologies again if its been talked about before

Uniquemind :D

donut
04-04-07, 04:52 PM
This might allow you to be sighted from the air. Probable just graphic glitch,I hope.:hmm:

uniquemind
04-05-07, 10:05 AM
Well I sure hope it is as in SH3 you actually went down to the depth you specified :)

I'd like to be able to hide and if in stormy weather you stay like it is now you'd be spotted and therefore you've had it.......so I hope that this is indeed a glitch of some sort

Thanks donut :D

mookiemookie
04-05-07, 10:25 AM
Remember that the water in a lot of the Pacific is very clear, and even though you are indeed at 100 feet you still may be seen from above.

Perhaps an ex submariner can clarify....I always thought that when a sub was at say 100 feet depth, that's depth as measured from the bottom of the boat, not the top of the antennas, periscopes, etc.

SteamWake
04-05-07, 10:30 AM
When you have over 1,500 feet of water beneath you 100 feet seems like 1 foot.

Ive also noticed you cannot get the follow camera nowhere as near the boat as you could in SH3 further skewing the "depth perception".

akdavis
04-05-07, 10:38 AM
Your sub is some 300 feet long. 100 feet at the keel is not going to look very deep. ;)

Jaywa
04-05-07, 10:43 AM
Think about it though, 100 feet is not very deep at all. It's basically about 10 feet further then home to first...so if you figure you are maybe a couple of feet short of the outfield grass from home plate..underwater..that's not very deep.

I must say it took me by surprise when I dove to 160 feet and a destroyer went above me and I could see him so easily from below my sub...but I feel it's modeled perfectly...

uniquemind
04-06-07, 06:58 AM
Hmmm, strange that I still feel like it has'nt gone beneath periscope depth, maybe I need to wait awhile before it goes deeper, but for me I just can't see it the same way you guys do......I know and appreciate what your telling me but it still feels odd to me.......as if I am in the external view I move the camera onto the top of the conning tower and when there I get the watery effect on the screen so I still think that I am just below the surface :lol::-?

Would crash diving take me further down? or would the result be just the same, or maybe worse in that I hit the bottom and explode, knowing me that would be the outcome :oops:

Nell Quick
04-06-07, 01:36 PM
Think about it though, 100 feet is not very deep at all. It's basically about 10 feet further then home to first...so if you figure you are maybe a couple of feet short of the outfield grass from home plate..underwater..that's not very deep.
Any chance you could convert that into cricket for us Brits, old bean? ;)

davejb
04-06-07, 02:04 PM
Home to first is a 'basebat' term, used in the colonies to describe two positions on the 'basebat diamond', which is what we Brits call 'the pitch'. The various chaps stand around in strange garb (basically a sort of 'leisure' dress knickerbocker outfit and crash helmet) and every so often they run around the corners of the 'diamond'.

Home and first are two of these corners, they are approximately as far apart as the distance your valet will walk from the bathroom to your dressing room in the morning when he's seen you into the bath and is going to lay out your clothes, added to the length of the hall.

I'm also quite a reference work on 'American Football', if you have any other queries.

-Pv-
04-06-07, 03:59 PM
The depth of the sub is measured at the keel not the top of the mast. Even at 100 ft depth, the top of the parascope supports could be as close as 60 feet under the surface. Low flying aircraft could see submerged subs near parascope depth when flying directly overhead. Fortunately, surface reflections make the sub less visible fron an angle. The depth you set in the depth control tool is the depth you get when the boat settles out. The method or speed at which you obtain that depth has nothing to do with the final result. Most the sub models in the game will use 15 to 18 feet of draft at the surface, so when you descend to 100 ft, you have only dropped your keel by 85 to 90 feet. The smaller the sub, the less visible you are at any given depth.

The angle you use on your external camera also may fool you as to the effect of depth on the visual model. Just because your camera is washing out doesn't mean the submarine is at the same depth as your camera.

These realizations have probably come to you as a result of this:
1) parascope depth is not very deep.
2) you can never seem to go deep enough when trying to evade a determined enemy.
3) you can make contact with surfaced ships at parascope depth and aren't really 'safe' until submerged over 100' from most large ships.
-Pv-

Sailor Steve
04-06-07, 04:02 PM
'basebat'
I LIKE it!:rotfl: :rock:

uniquemind
04-06-07, 05:06 PM
Thanks -Pv-

I'll think of it that way when I next play and will try to understand it better than I do :)

I'm sure I saw a screenshot somewhere of a Sub going along just above the weeds and rocks, maybe that was from an earlier version of the build and is not so anymore

Thanks again

-Pv-
04-06-07, 06:05 PM
"...I'm sure I saw a screenshot somewhere of a Sub going along just above the weeds and rocks, maybe that was from an earlier version of the build and is not so anymore..."

If the water is shallow enough, that can happen, or if you dive to the bottom (what ever depth that is.) If you are at parascope depth and you see weeds all round you, you DON"T want to be there with enemy around.
-Pv-

uniquemind
04-06-07, 06:11 PM
Yes I take your point :) and I won't be there if that happens! :lol: