PDA

View Full Version : The Robin Hood shot (easy kills on nearly anything)

NephilimNexus
04-04-07, 06:49 AM
For those daring, sneaky, or crazy enough to raid enemy ports and hit ships docked at anchor, I found a very good tactic for sinking the big targets with ease. Normally sinking ships in port is actually pretty tricky, because you can't rely on flooding to do the work for you - they'll drop about two meters, hit bottom, and stop sinking. Most of the time in order to get the anchor kill you have to flame the ship into a pyrotechnic display somehow. Luckily, I found a pretty easy way to do it.

Just use the Robin Hood shot. Plant one torpedo into the hull with a straight shot so that it leaves a nice sized hole in the side. Make a mental note of your exact torpedo depth before you fire and use the contact fuse, not magnetic. Be sure not to adjust you aim at all for the next shot! Gauge your next torpedo to the same depth and fire it right into the hole that you just made with your first shot. Believe it or not, the game's damage model is advanced enough to realize what you did and thus all the damage from the second torpedo is applied internally.

The results are quite impressive.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1929/sh4img44200761933750qp5.jpghttp://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1200/sh4img44200762034296no6.jpg

Two shots and heavy cruiser does the Chinese New Year display. Over 15,000 tons right there. Works on BBs, CVs, you name it. Just remember to hit them in port so that they aren't moving - you'd have to be a Jedi to pull this off on anything that isn't sitting perfectly still.

fair_weather
04-04-07, 07:35 AM
Or you could get some of the bugged task forces that move 1 knot. Got a HC that way, but only because I hit it in the magazine, missed the first time, got it the second, same result too.

And you can hit the Magazine and one shot kill most ships...haven't tried it with a BB yet, but I did sink a Kongo in two hits...took a while to sink but I got it.

stuntcow
04-04-07, 10:00 AM
I also have been doing that just to see if the damage would all be taken inside. Do like the big booms.

Hitman
04-04-07, 10:11 AM
Wasn't it Willem Tell who did that shot? :hmm:

stuntcow
04-04-07, 10:21 AM
Will Tell shot the apple off the head. R.Hood split the first shot with the second shot. I think that is what he is refering to, maybe...:hmm:

Hitman
04-04-07, 10:29 AM
Will Tell shot the apple off the head. R.Hood split the first shot with the second shot.

Ahhhh right! I was just thinking about that splitting an arrow with the second. I knew about the apple from W. Tell but I had forgotten that arrow.

Good catch :up:

SteamWake
04-04-07, 10:34 AM
This only works if your wearing green tights..

Von Hinten
04-04-07, 10:59 AM
And in a forest maybe? ;)

Nice idea though, now all I need to find is a harbor I can actually get into without scraping the bottom off my sub trying to stay under ...