PDA

View Full Version : Will this support/run SHIV? And buy DVD or direct download?

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-03-07, 08:23 PM
Two basic questions: the first more fact, the second opinion.

#1) This is my current rig specification. Will this reasonably run SHIV and, if not, what --if anything-- do I need to do to upgrade/add to/etc. in order to run the game?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 3000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 8/24/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.92 GB
Page File Space 3.32 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Video card is a RADEON 9250.

#2) What are the pros/cons between buying the game as a box/DVD versus buying it as a direct-downloaded game? Any opinions or recommendations? (Amongst being whether to buy it at all right now --wry grin--)

Danke!

stabiz
04-03-07, 08:28 PM
I think you will have problems with that video card, the rest is ok.

And buy the DVD, this game will probably turn into a mod-feast, so reinstalls will happen.:up:

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-03-07, 09:14 PM
I think you will have problems with that video card, the rest is ok.

And buy the DVD, this game will probably turn into a mod-feast, so reinstalls will happen.:up:

T'ankies for the reply.

I might have problems with upgrading my video card (if that's actually gonna be needed) as, if I recall correctly, my rig will only accept PCI cards and not PCIe or AGP cards. Anyone have any advice or info?

Marko_Ramius
04-03-07, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure you have a PCI-Express or at last an AGP slot, you should investigate this ..

JT1981
04-03-07, 09:22 PM
The video card is a problem,i think you need a better one,like 7900GS!

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-03-07, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you have a PCI-Express or at last an AGP slot, you should investigate this ..

Unfortunately I'm positive I don't: I went through this last year when I upgraded my card to run SHIII.

Hylander_1314
04-03-07, 09:32 PM
Get a Diamond Stealth X1550 Pro, and you'll be fine. It has 256mb's of GDDR2 memory.

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-04-07, 01:00 PM
Ok, what everyone seems to be missing is that (far as I can tell from my pc specifications) my system can only utilize a PCI card. Not PCIe, not AGP, but only PCI.

Now, does anyone know of a PCI card that is capable of running SHIV?

Zantham
04-04-07, 04:44 PM
Ok, what everyone seems to be missing is that (far as I can tell from my pc specifications) my system can only utilize a PCI card. Not PCIe, not AGP, but only PCI.

Best I can find online are ATI Radeon X1300 or X1550 - both 256MB. Not sure which is the better one of those two tho (higher isnt always better it seems). These are PCI cards I found (as in NOT PCI-E or AGP). Generally priced around $120-140US. Note that a PCI card will run slower than the same card as AGP because of PCI bandwidth limitations.

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-05-07, 09:32 AM

Best I can find online are ATI Radeon X1300 or X1550 - both 256MB. Not sure which is the better one of those two tho (higher isnt always better it seems). These are PCI cards I found (as in NOT PCI-E or AGP). Generally priced around $120-140US. Note that a PCI card will run slower than the same card as AGP because of PCI bandwidth limitations.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to look into this for me!

Alas, I have definite proof my current video card will not work: I bought the game at Wal-Mart last night and installed it. It works peachy-keen up to actually trying to load a mission or game. --wry grin--

I wonder why they didn't do what they did for SHIII, and have an auxiliary program (I think it was called SHIII Inspector) that scanned and reviewed your system for compliance and/or potential problems.

Owell . . . now I gots ta save up for a new card. Thanks again Zantham! Now, at least, I have an idea of what cards will work!

AVGWarhawk
04-05-07, 09:59 AM
Food for thought for you.

I have the AMD 64 3200+
1 gig RAM (I believe it 2700/333mhz speed)
I went and got the Visiontech/Radeon X1300 XGE 512MB card

My game runs very well with all sliders at half or full. Most of the other goodies checked with exception of water glare and EE...fog kills my FPS...like most I'm guessing.

Although some will say the X1300 is a dog, for $150.00 this is one satisfied SH4 player:yep:

Albrecht Von Hesse
04-05-07, 11:15 AM
Food for thought for you.

I have the AMD 64 3200+
1 gig RAM (I believe it 2700/333mhz speed)
I went and got the Visiontech/Radeon X1300 XGE 512MB card

My game runs very well with all sliders at half or full. Most of the other goodies checked with exception of water glare and EE...fog kills my FPS...like most I'm guessing.

Although some will say the X1300 is a dog, for $150.00 this is one satisfied SH4 player:yep:

Actually, after looking up the ATI Radeon X1300, one of the specs on it reads: "Native PCI Express x16 bus interface". It seems as if it's a PCIe card, not a PCI card. Am I mis-reading the card specs?

Drebbel
04-05-07, 11:17 AM
This thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110260

Links to a page that will check your system and will let you know if you can run SH4

-Pv-
04-05-07, 07:25 PM
"...Best I can find online are ATI Radeon X1300 or X1550 - both 256MB. Not sure which is the better one of those two tho (higher isnt always better it seems). These are PCI cards I found (as in NOT PCI-E or AGP). Generally priced around $120-140US. Note that a PCI card will run slower than the same card as AGP because of PCI bandwidth limitations..."

I had a X1300. Slide show with SH4. Worked fine with everything else I had.
The X1950 is as smooth as silk with nother other changes to my system.
-Pv-