PDA

View Full Version : Balao is it Bal-hay-oh or Balhow?

perisher
04-03-07, 06:05 PM
Help a poor Limey, just how do you pronounce Balao? I have actually been aboard one, USS Lionfish, but there was no one there to ask

AirborneTD
04-03-07, 06:13 PM
I pronounce it "Baa Lay O".

WilhelmSchulz.
04-03-07, 06:16 PM
Gato Gay-toe
Balao Ba-lay-o

boatfull
04-03-07, 06:48 PM
I pronounce it Ba-La-oh.:D

Like Laos is La-Ohs not Lay-ohs

skullman86
04-03-07, 07:08 PM
I pronounce it Ba-La-oh.:D

Like Laos is La-Ohs not Lay-ohs

I pronounce it the same way....I always thought that the spelling made it pretty straight forward :P, then again I have never heard anybody actually say it so who knows.

ba la oh
ga toe

perisher
04-03-07, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

With my Royal Naval background I can't pronounce anything right. In the RN, with its strange sense of humour, HMS Penelope is jokingly pronounced Penny-lope, while HMS Antelope is pronounced Ant-el-o-pee.

-Pv-
04-03-07, 08:35 PM
Yup. I had a lot of fun with vitamin and jaguar when I visited east of the pond.
-Pv-

perisher
04-03-07, 08:39 PM
Yup. I had a lot of fun with vitamin and jaguar when I visited east of the pond.
-Pv-

Don't mention aluminium. :o)

John Channing
04-03-07, 08:45 PM
HMS Superb = HMS Super Bee

JCC

NonWonderDog
04-03-07, 09:19 PM
Gato is Spanish for cat, as in catfish, so I pronounce it that way. GAH-toe.

Balão is Portuguese for balloon (although I have no idea what that has to do with the halfbeak the sub is named after), but the Portuguese pronuncation of ã sounds really funny. I compromise with bah-LAHH-oh. :)

I don't know how the sub captains said it.

Tobowsi
04-03-07, 09:24 PM
Speaking of the halfbeak the sub is named after, here's another pronunciation possibility to throw in the works.

ba·lao uh[/I]-[B]lou]
–noun, plural -laos. a halfbeak, Hemiramphus balao, of tropical western Atlantic seas.

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balao

So "buh-lou"? Shrug.

Hylander_1314
04-03-07, 09:43 PM
Dad being an ex-submariner, and his CO a WWII vet, said that Gato was pronounced Gah-toe, and the Balao was pronounced Bu-lay-o. That's what I was told, anyways.

Cakewalk
04-03-07, 11:14 PM
Gah-Toe and Bah-Low for me.

*shrug*

ccruner13
04-04-07, 12:18 AM
Speaking of the halfbeak the sub is named after, here's another pronunciation possibility to throw in the works.

ba·lao uh[/I]-[B]lou]
–noun, plural -laos. a halfbeak, Hemiramphus balao, of tropical western Atlantic seas.

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balao

So "buh-lou"? Shrug.

like the jungle book or tailspin?

Crosseye76
04-04-07, 01:50 AM
I pronounce it "Baa Lay O".

This is how I've always heard it too.

Be sure and check out the "Subsessed" mockumentary. IIRC, that's how he says it also.

Siegfried von Funk
04-04-07, 04:30 AM
Feh. Just call it a pig boat. A rust-bucket. Home. Or trade down to a porpoise class.

SS-174 USS Shark (If W@W Pacific gets going...)

mrbassbone
04-04-07, 08:31 AM
Gato is Spanish for cat, as in catfish, so I pronounce it that way. GAH-toe.

Balão is Portuguese for balloon (although I have no idea what that has to do with the halfbeak the sub is named after), but the Portuguese pronuncation of ã sounds really funny. I compromise with bah-LAHH-oh. :)

I don't know how the sub captains said it.

That "might" be true but the correct way to pronounce it according to actual crew members is "GAY-TOE" a la "Kato" in Green Hornet.

Another that is confusing to some is USS BASHAW pronounced BAY-SHAW.

USS BOWFIN is BOW as in bow and arrow and not bow as in bow-wow.

John Channing
04-04-07, 12:43 PM
A Balao, also known as the Ballyhoo is a small bait fish found in Gulf waters, used for catching Dolphin (no, not Flipper, the other Dolphin). Similar to a needlefish. It's pronounced Buh-Lou

But I use Bah-LAY-oh, because I'm the Captain, and what I say, goes!

JCC