PDA

View Full Version : Manual TDC "perfect solution" Missed to aft?

Seadogs
04-03-07, 05:23 PM
Hey all, I have a quick question to aid my manual training.

I am currently training myself in manual TDC by leaving map updates on and comparing the TDC solution white mark with the map update red icon to zero in on the perfect solution.

A few minutes ago I penetrated a large convoy and targeted a Large passenger liner and used the above method to zero in on a "perfect" target solution. (target mark within red icon, perfect AOB, speed, and range.) The only thing was the white x was in the last 1/4 of the target so I spread a few degrees left for every shot after the first for a total of five shots in order to strafe the side of the target.

The problem is they all missed just aft of the target and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. There was no change in course or speed and the target tracked with the good solution for more than 5 minutes.

Any Ideas?

Powerthighs
04-03-07, 05:36 PM
Are you using the slow torpedo setting?

SKurj
04-03-07, 06:09 PM
Fast torps run slower than they are supposed to... if you used the fast speed... yup that would explain it.

Onkel Neal
04-03-07, 06:11 PM
Will be fixed in 1.2 patch :yep:

duelen
04-03-07, 07:41 PM
I would of made spread to right if it was on last 1/4th of ship

Krupp
04-04-07, 01:36 AM
---

Hitman
04-04-07, 01:41 AM
So you get nearly 25 % error in range. No wonder if your shots pass aft.

Sorry but I think distance does not affect the solution. It's only the incorrect speed what does it :yep:

Krupp
04-04-07, 02:03 AM
So you get nearly 25 % error in range. No wonder if your shots pass aft.

Sorry but I think distance does not affect the solution. It's only the incorrect speed what does it :yep:

Ok.

Thaine
04-04-07, 03:11 AM
Range does influence the solution.

Imagine two ships with same aob and speed, but different range. They move the same distance at the same time. The angle they move, however, isnt the same, observed by the sub. Just make a simple sketch to see.

The problem is wring mast height in the ship preferences. Go to the mod-forum to look for the fix-ship-dimensions-mod or so. I havent tried that mod by myself now. But i experienced the same misses.

Jungman
04-04-07, 03:32 AM
Yeh, those two are problems in game Fast torpedo 100% always about 36 knots (down from 46) (personally tested along with several others), and the range using Mast is wrong also for several ships as Krupp said (I looked and tested too -darn he is right):D .

Since if using the basic TDC Range, Target Speed, and AOB -both of those problems will affect the hit rate. (it assumes your torpedo is going 46 knots Fast torpedo are bugged as of patch 1.1 fixed in patch 1.2 coming so use slow 31 knots torps).

Seadogs
04-04-07, 04:35 AM
I would of made spread to right if it was on last 1/4th of ship

Sorry should have been more specific. The target was to STBD crossing to port.

Slow torps were used.

And roger that, waiting for 1.2:up:

Krupp
04-04-07, 06:47 AM
Yeh, those two are problems in game Fast torpedo 100% always about 36 knots (down from 46) (personally tested along with several others), and the range using Mast is wrong also for several ships as Krupp said (I looked and tested too -darn he is right):D .

Hallelujah! Thanks Jungman:), I'm so happy that someone (as credible as you) verifies this.

Krupp
04-04-07, 06:51 AM
Range does influence the solution.

Imagine two ships with same aob and speed, but different range. They move the same distance at the same time. The angle they move, however, isnt the same, observed by the sub. Just make a simple sketch to see.

The problem is wring mast height in the ship preferences. Go to the mod-forum to look for the fix-ship-dimensions-mod or so. I havent tried that mod by myself now. But i experienced the same misses.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109953