PDA

View Full Version : Admiral's Staff

Iron Budokan
04-03-07, 02:18 PM
Well, it's better than the SH3 death screen.

I lost my sub near Osaka because a drunk Admiral with delusions of grandeur wanted me to drop off a secret agent...who was so secret I never saw him listed in my crew! In fact, we never found him at all. He was either a very good secret agent or my sub was sent on some sort of mission to misdirect the Japanese somehow. I'll never know.

So I got detected and sunk in shallow water. Pounded for hours until the hull split apart like an egg shell. My entire crew perished, water gurgling into their mouths. As they died they cursed the Admiral who sent them on this fool's errand to a man. Great. But by some magical means I escaped and was sent to serve on the Admiral's staff and the screen said he liked it "with cream and two sugars." Every time I served this delusional madman his coffee my bile rose and rose. I bided my time and laid my plans for the future....

Then the screen said after the war I settled down to a long life in America. But what the screen didn't say was how I left the wife and kids one night and tracked down that insane Admiral. I found him coming out of a Tank n Tummy in Plano, TX in '56 and gunned him down in retaliation for killing my crew with his insane ideas of trying to infiltrate spies into mainland Japan. I emptied a clip of .45s into his big fat belly.

After this cold-blooded and premeditated murder I went on a violent killing spree across the MidWest until I went down in a blaze of glory in an abandoned warehouse. "Is this the end of Little Rico?" It was.

But at least I outlived that effing Admiral who killed my crew....

Werewolf13
04-03-07, 02:32 PM
OKaaaaay...

Now that's just creepy. :huh:

Besides a real man of the sea would have butchered the butcher with a cutlass! Arghghghghg Matey! :arrgh!:

John Channing
04-03-07, 02:42 PM
Please tell me you went out yelling "TOP OF THE WORD, MA, TOP OF THE WORLD!".

JCC

Iron Budokan
04-03-07, 04:51 PM
LOL, yes, exactly!

Powerthighs
04-03-07, 05:19 PM
You were probably sent on a fake insertion mission as part of a plan to ferret out a high-level mole in the USN. Who knows how many lives were subsequently saved?

Sailor Steve
04-03-07, 05:34 PM
So, you've given up SH4 for a new FPS?

Linavitch
04-03-07, 05:39 PM
You've got 'issues'.

Holland
04-03-07, 06:46 PM
We're part of an elite group mate, killing him just paints us all bad to no end.

But nonetheless, good riddance. Good work. :arrgh!:

Cakewalk
04-03-07, 07:13 PM
This would have made quite the classic war movie back in the day.:yep:

-Pv-
04-03-07, 07:54 PM
"...So I got detected and sunk in shallow water. Pounded for hours until the hull split apart like an egg shell. My entire crew perished, water gurgling into their mouths. As they died they cursed the Admiral who sent them on this fool's errand to a man..."

It's possible to accomplish this infiltration mission. Many here have done it including myself.

Largely it's a matter of timing, observation, and a great deal of patience. You can't just barge in to shallow water in daylight on the surface. I could wax paragraphs on play-by-play, but it would take quite a lot of text and half the fun is learning how to do it yourself and gain the bragging rights. Yes, it's a tough mission and you have to think like a WWII submarine commander to do it.
Get close as you can in deeper water. Wait for night. Sneak and dash and sneak and dash and be out before dawn. All the time evading traffic that might detect your dull drone. That's how it's done by drove.
-Pv-

Iron Budokan
04-03-07, 08:51 PM
I was coming in at night but the place was simply crawling with DDs. One saw me and I had to go under. He pinged me right away and nailed me.

Meh. I play DiD so I'll be starting over....

Rip
04-03-07, 08:52 PM
I have taken the crew of the USS Gar to drop off agents up and down the coast of Japan and China. Not so much as a scratch. Dark and quick are the keys to success.

LordHawke
04-04-07, 03:44 AM
I have taken the crew of the USS Gar to drop off agents up and down the coast of Japan and China. Not so much as a scratch. Dark and quick are the keys to success.

My first mission was to drop off an agent at Osaka (I was captaining USS Gar). Takes planning and moonless nights (and about 6-7 tries before I learnt the correct lessons). Stormy weather helps. I sailed up a channel along the Honshu coast during a storm, at night on the surface. Got to a point which was still quite deep (~300 ft of water), submerged to 150ft and waited for night to fall (it was already dawn when I got there). The most tense moment was when a convoy sailed directly over my position! But they never detected me. :ping:

Night fell, I went up to periscope depth and made my way up the shallows at 2/3. No nearby ships, so I surfaced, went to Ahead Full and crossed the shallow stretch as fast as I could. Reaching a deep part of Osaka bay, I set course for the target area, keeping close to the deep in case I needed to crash dive. There are several gunboats about. The best strategy I found was to tail a gunboat going my way discreetly (use radar and the plot chart). Play cat-and-mouse until you reach a point close to the target area.

Wait for an opportune moment until the gunboats are out of sight, then surface and go Ahead-full to the target zone (over the shallow water). Don't go too close as you may run aground! Once near the target beach, go to All-stop. A menu will popup asking if you want to release the agent. Select the option, and watch our OSS friend cast off for his mission.

No time to waste here, turn around, Ahead-flank and get back to the deep. Make your way out of the bay again (should still have enough darkness time). I actually managed to sink a large merchant in the bay while doing this. Back in the channel, slip past the destroyers (move behind them) and back into the open sea.

Mission accomplished! :up:

This was on Normal difficulty.