PDA

View Full Version : Working up to full realism...

fair_weather
04-03-07, 07:12 AM
Up until last night, I've been playing with realism set to 6. However because I got the repeating missions bug, I decided to follow one of the tips and put on fuel consumption...

It's not as bad as I figured it would be!

I started in PH and worked my way up to midway under 1/3 speed (about 8-9 knots in a Gato class) And I was bored so I calculated the distance after I figured out how much fuel was spent over a certain distance (2% every 166/167nm) and it came to 1300+nm from PH to Midway. And after finding a calculator, I figured I'd be down to 85% fuel level by the time I get to Midway.

Low and behold, I was right...Although I didn't go under diesel the entire patrol...I'd pretty much act like a whale and surface when the CO2 level got to 75%. Which means, going at Flank speed under battery power means I'd go the same speed as diesels at 1/3, so I was going at a pretty consistant speed...probably when I put on CO2 level and Battery consumption on I'll find out that my method is flawed...but it worked for a learning exercise.

Linavitch
04-03-07, 07:18 AM
I believe that 2/3 speed works out to be the most economical for surface running (11/12 knots). Thats not backed up by any maths but just my experiance from playing SH3/4.

With regard with PH to Midway, fuel consumption isn't really an issue as you are going to refuel your boat anyway.

Midway to Japan aprox 6000km with a range of 18000km at 2/3 speed gives you 6000km of range for 'operations' (cos you need 6000km to get back).

fair_weather
04-03-07, 07:37 AM
True, however if you know the distance/fuel consumption from one place to another, you can find out how much fuel you'll have at another place.

Midway to Australia would take me down to 60%...atleast I think that's what I figured out...

BlackSpot
04-03-07, 09:06 AM
Well, if you think you're not going to quite make it back on diesel, and you find you're rocking the sub to get the last drops out of the tanks, start running underwater on batteries to get some extra mileage.

fair_weather
04-03-07, 10:04 AM
That's what I did for the rest of the patrol, submerge for two days, surface for a couple minutes to get the CO2 level down to zero then submerge again.

I did that just to figure out how far one would get under diesel only.