PDA

View Full Version : My first experience with Coastal Artillery

Henchman
04-02-07, 08:41 PM
I am quickly learning to re-think my tactics in SH4 as opposed to SH3. I absolutely love the mission variety in SH4. In the Atlantic, my whole career centered around hunting down convoys and avoiding destroyers - every patrol was basically the same. I certainly never really had any reason (other than sightseeing) to get near the enemy coastlines.

In my last patrol of my new career which involved dropping off an agent near Tokyo, I discovered that my old SH3 sub skipper intuition was more than simply lacking - I nearly got my whole crew killed.

With the cloak of night I sneek into to Tokyo Bay - my only worry is a lurking destroyer, but I was able to sneak passed it undetected. Everything is going well and I successfully deploy the agent. With my orders completed, I decide it is time to rack up some tonnage and spread a little christmas cheer around Tokyo Bay (It's late December 1941). I sneak over near port of Yokuska where the lone destroyer is patroling. My plan is to take out the destroyer first, then have a nice little turkey shoot in the harbor...

Things get interesting immediately. The destroyer spots my periscope as I move into position and it charges right at me. I panic and launch a couple of torpedos at him. I catch a lucky break as one of them strikes his bow and turns the destoyer into a magnificent fireworks show. As he is the only warship within the immediate vicinity I surface the boat to gloat over my victory and to prepare for what I expecct to be little more than target practice in Yokuska Harbor. However, within seconds, I hear a shell whistling past the conning tower. Huh? I see muzzle flashes coming from the shoreline. Coastal Artillery!!! Their exsistence had'nt even occured to me but here they were, and I'm caught exposed and surprised.

I order periscope depth but I'm too slow; 3 shells slam hard into my boat. Half the crew is wounded and several systems including my electrical engines are destroyed. They also leave terrifying gaping holes in my hull and the flooding is massive. My half-dived submarine starts to sink like a rock and I am forced to blow the ballast tanks before I hit the shallow bottom. It works, I bob back up to the surface. My diesel engines are still working but my engine crew are too wounded/shaken to start them up. I replace them with a group of fresh (non-injured) torpedomen. My diesels fire up and I begin a terrifying 2 hour escape out of the bay at flank speed.

Amazingly I make it out of the coastal artillery range alive!! Most of the crew are back to normal again except for a few badly injured souls (No deaths so far). Damage control teams have fixed everything that can be fixed and I'm cruising along at a respectable 14knots at Full Speed... Not bad considering the damage I just took. Suddenly my hope turns to gloom as I notice the sun appear over the horizon. I realize that I'm about to find myself barely off the coast of Japan - in daylight - in a submarine that can't submerge. I plot out the shortest route that I can find that will take me away from aircraft range (thanks for the handy poster map ubi) and I prepare myself for a busy day.

Sure enough, the first couple of aircraft show up within minutes of sunrise. They proceed with one of the most incompetent attacks in the history of naval aviation. One of the zeros simply crashes into the water during the attack run. The second one get's peppered by my AA during his approach and makes a dazzling fireball flyby before crashing into the nearby waters... Student pilots perhaps? It's too early for Kamikaze pilots. Less than 5 minutes later another flight shows up. They drop their load with much better professionalism and accuracy, but they miss nevertheless and my gunner shoots them down on the 3rd pass. 10 minutes later another flight shows up, then another, and another and another.... the day goes by... There are intervals of 5-20 minutes between these relentless air attacks. I coun't 20 downed aircraft as I finally limp out into the big dark void of the pacific. I only take one serious hit during all this which kills my best gunner and takes out my deck gun. My AA gun survives, although I have to repair it about 3 times for minor damage due to strafing runs. My AA ammo is completly exhausted.

The rest of the patrol is an uneventful cruise back to Pearl.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm just very excited about this game. The masssive airstrikes I had to endure seem a bit unrealistic - almost arcade like, but on a whole it was very exciting. I'll try to remember to take some screenshots on my next adventure.

Cakewalk
04-02-07, 08:53 PM
A fantastic trip :D Sounds like one hell of a ride.

As for the air attacks, there is a mod in the mods section to tone them down I believe... I think its in the "mod list" sticky in the mod forum.

KingBerk
04-02-07, 09:01 PM
Cool story, fun to read. :up:

Splitter
04-02-07, 10:01 PM
Nice story :up:

Coastal artillery is brutal in this game, im currently playing a new campaign on death is death rules (no reloads for death or torp misses) and on my troop insertion mission i got pinged a few times. It injured most of my crew, damaged the pressure hull and battery engines and left an ugly looking hole in the belly of my sub. Somehow i didnt sink like a stone when i crash dived and the damage control team managed to fix the damage very quickly. I've saved up and am currently trying to escape, im am rather concerned though :ping:

malkuth74
04-02-07, 10:24 PM
Yeah I remember my first coastal Battery run in. I had no idea what was going on I was looking for a ship. I still don't know what they look like I dived and ran for my life. Never got hit though.

Audie
04-02-07, 11:20 PM
Great Post :up:

I was slammed by some coastal arty this evening off the coast of Jawa.
Those folks are rather good marksmen - considering they are primarily
droid peddlers :)

Cakewalk
04-02-07, 11:23 PM
Great Post :up:

I was slammed by some coastal arty this evening off the coast of Jawa.
Those folks are rather good marksmen - considering they are primarily
droid peddlers :)

Well, you gotta remember they did after all manage to take out R2.:up:

Audie
04-02-07, 11:27 PM
Well, you gotta remember they did after all manage to take out R2.:up:

Touche!:lol:

Cakewalk
04-02-07, 11:34 PM
:rotfl:

By the way, anyone know if US bases have coastal guns installed in them? It would be interesting to see a battle ensue between Japanese surface vessels attempting to seize an American port.

The_Rus
04-03-07, 12:30 AM

By the way, anyone know if US bases have coastal guns installed in them? It would be interesting to see a battle ensue between Japanese surface vessels attempting to seize an American port.

Yep they do. They also have AA. It shows up on your map. :yep:

Cakewalk
04-03-07, 12:33 AM

Yep they do. They also have AA. It shows up on your map. :yep:

We need some Yamato action at Pearl Harbour then.:arrgh!:

DeePsix501
04-03-07, 01:20 AM
I found the "Swarm of Bee's" action of the the Jap planes a bit unrealistic too. I recommend ParaB's Tweeked Airstrike Mod. Planes will show up less frequently but when they do, watch out! No more student pilots. They still miss, but are ALOT more effective. Whenever I even detect aircraft I dive like mad. Had a scary moment on a last patrol where a Seaplane that was dispatched to the area of my hunting dropped out of the clouds. I could have stayed and slugged it out, but I thought of my crew first, so I scrambled under as fast as I could. Makes the game more tense and real feeling.

ccruner13
04-03-07, 02:07 AM
my first runin came in 1.0 and i didnt even know i was taking damage. i ended up as an artificial reef