PDA

View Full Version : Getting AOB, Speed, Range off map

Kurt Alden
03-29-07, 05:53 AM
Hey all

I'm forcing to make myself play with a manual TDC just to make things harder and a little more realistic. However, I've still got map updates on. So, basically, a target is spotted and I plot on on the map, use the stopwatch to calculate speed, plot the course and use the protractor to calculate aob and use the ruler to calculate range ( though I still use the manual range method (rec manual, etc) but find it's way out - is this just me?)

Anyway...do you think this is "valid", ie I'm making things harder for myself by using manual targeting but maybe it's "cheating" using the map with updates set to yes. I know it doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious as to your thoughts.

On a side note, on my Googles about tdc's, range calculation, etc I came across this little gem which I found interesting...apologies if it's been posted before..

Sounds like a great idea to me - I suppose the only disadvantage is having two periscopes = double the chance of being spotted, plus it'd be a pretty obvious radar reflection.

Passive submarine range finding device and method
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 5543910

Link to this page:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5543910.html

Abstract:A range finding device and method for determining the distance between a merged submarine and a target above the surface having a first and second periscopes mounted on a submarine with a known separation. These periscopes are rotatable and extensible above the surface and can determine the bearing from each of the periscopes to the target. A computer receives the bearings from the first and second periscopes and uses the bearings with the known preset distance between the periscopes to calculate the distance between the submarine and the target.

Cheers
K

greyrider
03-29-07, 08:40 AM
Hey all

I'm forcing to make myself play with a manual TDC just to make things harder and a little more realistic. However, I've still got map updates on. So, basically, a target is spotted and I plot on on the map, use the stopwatch to calculate speed, plot the course and use the protractor to calculate aob and use the ruler to calculate range ( though I still use the manual range method (rec manual, etc) but find it's way out - is this just me?)

Anyway...do you think this is "valid", ie I'm making things harder for myself by using manual targeting but maybe it's "cheating" using the map with updates set to yes. I know it doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious as to your thoughts.

On a side note, on my Googles about tdc's, range calculation, etc I came across this little gem which I found interesting...apologies if it's been posted before..

Sounds like a great idea to me - I suppose the only disadvantage is having two periscopes = double the chance of being spotted, plus it'd be a pretty obvious radar reflection.

Passive submarine range finding device and method
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 5543910

Link to this page:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5543910.html

Abstract:A range finding device and method for determining the distance between a merged submarine and a target above the surface having a first and second periscopes mounted on a submarine with a known separation. These periscopes are rotatable and extensible above the surface and can determine the bearing from each of the periscopes to the target. A computer receives the bearings from the first and second periscopes and uses the bearings with the known preset distance between the periscopes to calculate the distance between the submarine and the target.

Cheers
K

the method you discribed is called Intersection:

INTERSECTION
Intersection is the location of an unknown point by successively occupying at least two (preferably three) known positions on the ground and then map sighting on the unknown location. It is used to locate distant or inaccessible points or objects such as enemy targets and danger areas

it works in reverse, if you dont know where you are, but you have a map and compass, and you can associate two known points on the map, wirth two known points on the ground, then you would be able to find your position, by a method called Resection.

RESECTION
Resection is the method of locating one's position on a map by determining the grid azimuth to at least two well-defined locations that can be pinpointed on the map. For greater accuracy, the desired method of resection would be to use three or more well-defined locations

i dont think ww2 subs could use these methods, hence the stadimeter, as the scopes are to close,
there by making the angle between them very small, and they are bore sighted
to show the same bearings, zero degrees on the A scope, is zero degrees on the O scope.

when i can run sh4 effectively, i might look into it, just out of curiousity