PDA

View Full Version : Contradiction between ship measures?

Krupp
03-29-07, 12:38 AM
Looks like there are pretty big variations in the printed collector's edition Recognition manual compared to the game (Data/Sea/"Ship"/Cfg-files). Lenght's, height's, width's and Draft's that is. Printed values are the same the dev's give to ships in the SH4 homepage, in-game values are not.

Couple examples: Printed says, Carrier Hiryu's Heigh't is 35.2 meters (115.5 feet) and the cfg-file says 20 meters (65.6 feet). Heavy cruiser Furutaka's height differs nearly 28%. That's a lot.

edit: Displacements are fraked also. Heavy Cruiser Takao has a RL (& printed manual value) displ. of 9,850 tons. The game cfg-value is 15870(!)

And some mechants have the same problem also: Nagara Maru: Printed's length is 143.2 meters (470 feet), cfg-file says only 120 meters (393.7 feet).

Strangely, some of the ships from the printed rec manual has all the measures accurate, and some of the ships are way of compared to cfg-values.

But which values are correct compared to the 3-D models? About 5200 GRT Biyo Maru's lenght match between the printed manual and the game's value (only 1.9 meter difference). And the 7200 GRT Nagara Maru's lenght in game is similar (120 meters), which is odd, because the ship is considerably bigger. Is the Nagara Maru ( 3-D) really only 120 meters long or not? And how about all the others too?

The Silent Hunter 4 homepage has all the ship details to compare:

http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/ships.php

What do you think?

And, if already known issue, forget it then.

K

edit:

I'll edit the cfg files so that they correlate with the data given to ships in page above and in printed rec manual, and see what happens. If the in-game 3D models have been given wrong measures (cfg-files), it will somewhat ruin your firing data. I.e. if the measures for the firing data is taken FROM the cfg-files (?). Editing them (Lenght, width etc.) changes those values in the game tho.

Krupp
03-29-07, 04:51 AM
I can confirm from my behalf, that the data/sea/"ship"/cfg-files, that contain ship measures, does in fact have effect on your firing data.

I edited the heavy cruiser Mogami (original mast= 34.6 meters) to mast 17.3 meters (1/2 from original). Then I went to submarine school and measured the distance to mogami and the range (in TDC) was also halved.

So, with some certainty, I could claim that the faulty ship measure data in those cfg files DO effect your aiming (hitting that is).

All I need to someone else to confirm this.

Tarnish_UK
03-29-07, 05:09 AM
After a little research after I'd noticed the difference in the listed displacement of the Takeo after I'd sunk one I found that the value stated in the Recognition Book in the "Standard Tonnage" ie unloaded and the heavier value (also found to be incorrect!) is the fully armed and loaded max "battle" weight. I've gone through and changed the config displacements on any ships I found to be way out. Also the US sub max diving depths were mostly incorrect. Other than the old S-Class all the US boats have configs stating 100m (328ft) max diving depths. I've modded mine to read:-

P- Class to Tambor/Gar - 76m (250ft)
Gato - 91m (300ft)
Balao - 122m (400ft)

It's still a little simplified as the game does not recognise the difference between an early Gato and a late one which could dive a little deeper but it's better than 100m across the board.

wetwarev7
03-29-07, 08:40 AM
This may be why I can never get a decent reading with the stadimeter.....

Krupp
03-29-07, 08:51 AM
continued in the sh4 mod workshop...

Jungman
03-29-07, 04:54 PM
Holy Milk Cow, good find!:up:

This and the correct sub depths must be correct as a mod. Thanks for that. You will make alot of people happy.

Krupp
03-30-07, 04:55 AM
Thanks Jungman :).