PDA

View Full Version : Jsgme & Vista Problems

jsotham
03-28-07, 08:55 PM
I am currently running Windows Vista and have installed JSGME in the root directory of SH4 (as instructed - which included running it to create the folders). I then downloaded and unzipped both the 360 Bearing Mod, and the CBS Radio Mod, into the MOD folder.

Ran JSGME, selected and enabled each mod. Everything looked good (as the files appeared in the right column of JSGME) and then I ran SH4.

Neither mod worked. I tried to tune the radio to 30, but it kept scanning past that station. Tried viewing the bearing tool in the map room - nothing...

Is this a problem with Vista, or have I done something wrong?

Cheers

Soviet_Warlord
03-28-07, 09:19 PM
I am currently running Windows Vista and have installed JSGME in the root directory of SH4 (as instructed - which included running it to create the folders). I then downloaded and unzipped both the 360 Bearing Mod, and the CBS Radio Mod, into the MOD folder.

Ran JSGME, selected and enabled each mod. Everything looked good (as the files appeared in the right column of JSGME) and then I ran SH4.

Neither mod worked. I tried to tune the radio to 30, but it kept scanning past that station. Tried viewing the bearing tool in the map room - nothing...

Is this a problem with Vista, or have I done something wrong?

Cheers
It won't be Vista's fault, it handles programs in basically the same way XP does.

Make sure that your radio mods are JSGME-compatible, and that, for example, the path is something like:

\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\CBS Radio\data\sound\radio\ etc

In fact, I found it easier to simply install the CBS mod manually, it saves disk space too. Just remember to back up the radio.cfg (or was it .ini?) before hand just in case.

Von Manteuffel
03-28-07, 09:52 PM
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm running SHIV under VISTA with JSGME and several mods and have experienced no problems ( touch wood ). I can only repeat the advice already offered - a couple of times, I've downloaded and installed a mod using JSGME, only to find that it didn't work. Usually it was because of something very obvious i.e. the mod wasn't JSGME compatible, or I'd downloaded it into an individual folder I'd created for it on my desktop and then copied that folder into the MODS folder in the root directory of the game. It didn't work because I was forgetting that I was actually creating an extra folder, so instead of :

\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\CBS Radio\data\sound\radio\

I created a desk top folder called CBS fr the unzip and had

\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\CBS\CBS Radio\data\sound\radio\

JSGME is a wonderful piece of work, but get the file structure wrong and you've had it.

Hope you get the problem sorted out.

jsotham
03-28-07, 10:53 PM
You guys are just the best - that was it, wrong directory structure....I unzipped the files and cut and paste teh unzipped file - put one two many layers in the directory structure.

Cheers

Burnspot
03-29-07, 05:08 AM
Anyone else notice how stubborn Vista is when you try manually editing .cfg files in SH4? Luckily, JSGME easily gets by it, but otherwise, it can be a trying experience if you leave UAC on. ;)

Von Manteuffel
03-29-07, 05:15 AM
Yeah, but it's inconsistent. e.g. It won't save changes to some .cfg files, but lets me alter others to my heart's content. I use VISTA on my laptop, so, when this happens, I just use a memory stick to transfer the files to my desk-top ( still on XP ), edit them, then ship 'em back into the laptop. It's a bit of a nuisance, but needs must. BTW it even happens with UAC disabled ?????