PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need an Almanac for sunrise and sunset

nattydread
03-28-07, 05:27 PM
Im heading to intercept a convoy and its nighttime. I need to know when I can expect to have some light in order to attack these guys. I'd like to attack during the point where its still dark, but their is enough light creeping over the horizon to allow for better visibilty...what is that dusk, morning twilight? Anyway you know what I mean!

mookiemookie
03-28-07, 06:47 PM
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html#formb

Just input the date and your long/lat or time zone, and you should be good to go!

nattydread
03-28-07, 08:10 PM
sweet, thx

E.B. Fluckey
01-08-09, 07:20 AM
Dredging this thread up as I can't get the sunset/sunrise to match in game what the web site says it should be. I played around with it last night and couldn't get things to match up. In game the sun set at around 22:00 but playing with the web site it claimed it should have set at 18:00. Sunrise was off too.

Does anyone use this site, or know a really good way to get sunset/sunrise for a particular date?

Hmuda
01-08-09, 08:21 AM
As far as I can tell, the game do not simulate time zones, so you might have to count a few hours back and forth to get the real deal. I have no idea which zome does the game sue as default. Maybe Hawaii.

SteamWake
01-08-09, 10:20 AM
Your 'clock' is set to 'local' time, that is the time zone of the port you are based at. You will have to adjust to your current location accordingly.

Or... do what I do, watch the map and when the lighting turns red make a note of the time. Sunrise will be 12 hours later ;)

old_tex
01-08-09, 10:28 AM
I base the time on every 15 degree increment = 1 hour to get an approximation of the time. Of course, the length of the day changes the farther north you go (Such as the Japanese Islands). ;) Old_tex

banjo
01-08-09, 10:48 AM
I think it was SH 2 that had a calendar in the captain's cabin that showed sunrise/sunset and moon rise. I found it useful.

E.B. Fluckey
01-08-09, 12:10 PM
I think it was SH 2 that had a calendar in the captain's cabin that showed sunrise/sunset and moon rise. I found it useful.

I miss this as well. I believe there was one in AOD and the original Silent Hunter. Can't remember for sure though.

SteamWake
01-08-09, 12:57 PM

Indeed not sure why this was not included in the following versions.

Dread Knot
01-08-09, 12:57 PM

I miss this as well. I believe there was one in AOD and the original Silent Hunter. Can't remember for sure though.

Yeah, there was a tear-away calender on a wall in the captain's cabin in the original SH and SH2. Funny how the things the original and simplier game did right get overlooked in the sequels. ;)

FIREWALL
01-08-09, 01:57 PM
Probably alot of work. But can't this be modded in the game ?

SteamWake
01-08-09, 02:12 PM
I dont remember did sunrise/sunset times change as you sailed accross the 'globe' in the previous versions? Or was it static.

That would explain some of the difficulty as the sunrise time varies depending on where and when you are.

6SJ7GT
01-08-09, 06:20 PM
I built the nautical almanacs for 1939 - 1945 to use in celestial navigation. They have sunrise-sunset tables and the charts to convert to your location. You can find them here.
http://hosted.filefront.com/6sj7gt/2231663

The game clock is set for local time at your base, convert for your location.

enjoy,
Mike

aanker
01-08-09, 08:55 PM
Probably alot of work. But can't this be modded in the game ?
Yes - I edited (condensed) my F1 help file (Data\Menu\Help\help.cfg) to make room for the Moon Phases tab, Sunrise - Sunset tab, and Moonrise - Moonset tab from the white pages version of greyrider's "Combat Information Center":
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=138585

Then I just add one hour per 15 degrees like 'old tex' said above. It is close enough to help with timing the various operations you want to conduct in the game.

I have edited my help file quite a bit to use for really helpful things in SH4.

Happy Hunting!

Art