PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about this......bug or not? (NOT, FIXED)

uniquemind
03-28-07, 04:58 PM
Take alook at this screenshot of the sky, I am not sure if this should be posted in the bug thread or not, as I guess I am hoping that it is down to a graphical setting for my card, in which case I'd appreciate the help.........I mean it looks hideous :-?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/BlueGlow/SH4Img28-3-2007_22.jpg

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I have'nt found anything in my search

UM;)

GakunGak
03-28-07, 05:04 PM
Try changing your graphics settings a bit higher/lower and see if there is any fix, if not, probably a image glitch...
Sue da UBI, maybe you get a few hundred dollars and who knows, a juiced 8800GTX or X1950XT?:hmm:
Kidding, just try playing with the game menu options or try your video card control panel and increase settings if possible....
Help & support is on the way...:know:

uniquemind
03-28-07, 05:11 PM
Yeah I'd love a spanking new card, but my system needs a whole new system if you know what I mean, this current setup is as far as it can go so in a year and a halfs time I can upgrade, but I'd love UBI to grant me my wish, but no hope there :lol: nice thought though :D

I'm just not sure what settings to alter in my control panel, I have the ATI Tools, instead of the CCC as I heard that it uses up too many resources, so I have the above mentioned ATI Tools instead, but alot of it is greek to me, I know a few but not many, and also what they do, I'd experiment gladly if I knew it would'nt hurt my system :-?

Thanks though, I'd rather like to believe that it is a glitch, and that UBI can sort this, everything crossed right now :up:

Uniquemind ;)

GakunGak
03-28-07, 06:27 PM
OK, try this:
1. Update the latest drivers...
2. Go to ATI control panel, and under 3D [advanced view] set the slider to quality.
Apply & OK.
If the problem persists, well, that is a highly possibility of 2 things:
1. Game settings too low
2. Game issue [or some weird bad-ass protection]...:dead:

uniquemind
03-29-07, 07:13 AM
Hi GakunGak,

I will try that thank you, however, I tried this morning and played the artillery training and the sky was certainly better than that screenshot, and it also was fine in my career, I find that most odd, last night that and this morning ok.

Only one thing I can think of that maybe caused that although why it should is beyond me, but I have been minimizing the game so that I could come here to post if anything was amiss/bug etc...... in the game and after having posted or whatever I went back into the game and thats when I looked up to take a plane out and saw that weird sky.

Maybe I am in the wrong ball park here, but I'll have a go at your suggestion and post back either way if its better or not

Many thanks

UM :up:

uniquemind
03-29-07, 10:21 AM
Please excuse double post but here is a better sky, I only altered 1 option within my control panel for the graphics card:

Enable Geometry instancing = checked (not sure if that was responsible but everything else stayed the same before I posted this thread

These are the Catalyst 7.3's don't think they have been out for long, was using much older drivers before, but that was a case of having too as other problems arose using the 7.2's

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/BlueGlow/SH4Img29-3-2007_15-1.jpg

Thanks for your help GakunGak

Uniquemind :up:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 10:59 AM
Glad you did it!!!:know:
But beware, until at least 5 patches, I do not recommend ALT+TAB of the game, for stability measures...
Take care,
GakunGak!:smug:
And as always, me being a smug!:smug:

uniquemind
03-29-07, 12:19 PM
Thanks,

No I don't use Alt-Tab, I am able to use the Windows key to minimize the game, but I'm going to stop doing that too, just incase it causes adverse effects :)

Cheers

Uniquemind :up:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 01:23 PM
Win key or alt tab is the same effect....:yep:
And yeah, you are advised that next time when posting links from imageshack.us that you use "Thumbnail for forums" code, so that the page is not stretched out wide...;)
Good hunting, skip!:up:
And me, always being a smug!:smug:

uniquemind
03-29-07, 02:48 PM
Hi GakunGak,

Sorry but I was not aware that my screenshots are stretching out wide, I was using links to Photbucket...............sorry if this happens from there too :oops:

As for the problem, I'm sorry also to report that its back loud and horribly clear, (worried to put a screenshot incase it comes out as stretched)

I was playing fine and then went into the nav map view and set the tc to 64, sometimes higher and sometimes lower, I then reached where I was meant to be only to find when on the bridge that the sky was the same as seen in screenshot 1.

I'm feeling so dejected and frustrated by all the problems, and not just mine, I feel everyones pain :cry:

Uniquemind :)

Ark
03-29-07, 02:52 PM
Glad you did it!!!:know:
But beware, until at least 5 patches, I do not recommend ALT+TAB of the game, for stability measures...
Take care,
GakunGak!:smug:
And as always, me being a smug!:smug:

I ALT-TAB out of the game all of the time. No issues here.

I wonder if that is an ATI issue with the game?

XanderF
03-29-07, 02:59 PM
That looks like the mipmap detail is set too low. I don't have that on mine, either, and I *do* have an ATI card.

Make sure the Mipmap setting is "High Quality". I don't recall a "Geometry instancing" option, though - you are running ATI's stock CCC, right? Not the Omega drivers or anything? If so, you want to use the standard driver - Omega's are quite buggy in this manner. I suppose for 'popular' games they are fine, but they introduced BUCKETS of glitches like this in niche titles.

uniquemind
03-29-07, 03:02 PM
I do have Mipmap detail set to high quality, I've got an ATI X800 Pro 256MB and the latest 7.3 drivers

I can't make it out at all, at a loss as to what to do :-?

uniquemind
03-29-07, 03:11 PM
Oh dear I am in big bother now as I did try the Omega drivers and although I cleared out my last sets I tried with Driver Cleaner Pro, in my add remove programs there are 2 entries that say:

Radeon Omega Drivers v3.8.252 Setup Files and Tools
Radeon Omega Drivers v3.8.330 Setup Files and Tools

When I try to remove them I get:

Invalid uninstal control file: C:\Program Files\Radeon Omega Drivers\version 3.8.252\Omega Uninstal.xml

And then this error comes up for the second one aswell......I guess this might be causing problems with my 7.3's :-?

What have I done and how to get rid of the damn things!! :oops:

Mud
03-29-07, 03:15 PM
On Windows XP ? system recovery

Mud

uniquemind
03-29-07, 03:21 PM
System restore is off, as have heard that it uses alot of resources and can be a cause of slowdown.........this is not me saying that, but something I have seen written about on tweaking sites........yes I am a fool and should'nt tweak when I don't know what I am doing :oops:

I just don't want to have to format, as you have to keep ringing Microsoft, I have no problem with that, but its just a damn nuisance......my copy of XP is legit.......but over the past few years I have done more than 5 formats, quite a alot more and I worry that they won't authorize me anymore.........its mostly down to naivety on my part and having had my fair share of malware and allsorts playing around with my PC and therefore resulting in a format.

I've got protection now though and am sorted in that area.

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:22 PM
Oh dear I am in big bother now as I did try the Omega drivers and although I cleared out my last sets I tried with Driver Cleaner Pro, in my add remove programs there are 2 entries that say:

Radeon Omega Drivers v3.8.252 Setup Files and Tools
Radeon Omega Drivers v3.8.330 Setup Files and Tools

When I try to remove them I get:

Invalid uninstal control file: C:\Program Files\Radeon Omega Drivers\version 3.8.252\Omega Uninstal.xml

And then this error comes up for the second one aswell......I guess this might be causing problems with my 7.3's :-?

What have I done and how to get rid of the damn things!! :oops:
Try this:
1. Remove ATI drivers
2. Install omega drivers & reboot
3. Uninstall Omega drivers & reboot
4. Install ATI drivers...:yep:
This hax to work as I suspect your omega instalation entries are invalid...:88)
After all this stuff, go to advanced ATI control panes and set all to maximum but try to aviod Antialiasing or whatever is called and anisotropic...

Linavitch
03-29-07, 03:24 PM

No issues ALT-Tab for me with ATI card.

uniquemind
03-29-07, 03:28 PM
OK I will do that thank you :D

Erm, one thing though, the AA and anistropic stuff, I can only set that to let the application decide, don't seem to be able to turn it all off completely unless I am missing something, highly likely that is!! :lol:

Ok now off to try and sort my PC out......back shortly I hope! :lol:

Thanks for the help here as I'd be lost without you guys!

I'd rather be sailing and sinking but well, if you get into a mess, you've only got yourself to blame and I've gone and done it again! what a big girls blouse!:oops:

DaMaGe007
03-29-07, 03:28 PM
Alt tab crashes the game for me...Nvidia 7600gs

My keyboard no longer has a windows key after an "Accident" with a screwdriver

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:31 PM
Alt tab crashes the game for me...Nvidia 7600gs

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
As for uniquemind, golden rule: Dont panic as anything can be fixed...
And yes, format should be your last hope if nothing else helps...:up:

Linavitch
03-29-07, 05:00 PM

The hand tool or the cocktail?

uniquemind
03-29-07, 05:05 PM
Hi there,

Well all is well after having done what you said GakunGak.

Thank you very much for helping me as I was feeling that I was digging myself into a huge hole :lol:

The sky is now looking how it should do and is no longer hideous :up:

Catalyst 7.3 drivers are in and all the Omega stuff is out for good, I'm not going there again ever! they might be good for some but not for me :down:

Now all that is needed is for me to find some enemies to have ago at, and of course for other bugs to be ironed out, but even though I moan and have other issues I can be patient, so it will take as long as it takes, I just pray that my other flashing problem does not get left out, only two of us notice this when on the bridge and it is a nuisance for sure.

Hang on I'm becoming obsessed with this now, not good :down:

Thanks again mate, you truly saved the day!!! :up:

DaMaGe007
03-29-07, 05:07 PM

The hand tool or the cocktail?

Handtool, I got sick of pressing it by accident :)

Linavitch
03-29-07, 05:40 PM
Handtool, I got sick of pressing it by accident :)

M'Lud. The defendant condemns himself.

DaMaGe007
03-29-07, 05:43 PM
I made it better ! Concider it patched to 1.2 :)

GakunGak
03-30-07, 03:28 AM
Hi there,

Well all is well after having done what you said GakunGak.

Thank you very much for helping me as I was feeling that I was digging myself into a huge hole :lol:

The sky is now looking how it should do and is no longer hideous :up:

Catalyst 7.3 drivers are in and all the Omega stuff is out for good, I'm not going there again ever! they might be good for some but not for me :down:

Now all that is needed is for me to find some enemies to have ago at, and of course for other bugs to be ironed out, but even though I moan and have other issues I can be patient, so it will take as long as it takes, I just pray that my other flashing problem does not get left out, only two of us notice this when on the bridge and it is a nuisance for sure.

Hang on I'm becoming obsessed with this now, not good :down:

Thanks again mate, you truly saved the day!!! :up:
Always glad to help, man!:rock:

McBeck
03-30-07, 06:32 AM

No issues ALT-Tab for me with ATI card.
Me neither

uniquemind
03-30-07, 08:34 AM
I hate to have to say this I really do but this just has to be a glitch or whatever as last night it was back again, fine when playing x1 tc but I went to the nav map and set it to 256 and after awhile went back to bridge view and guess what? yep it had returned.

I usually refrain from ranting on forums as I don't look forward to the responses, but I have to on this occassion as this is simply ridiculous, how can a game have so much wrong with it, get patched and then become a damn site worse!

I know the answer of course but I just cannot hold back any longer.......my other games are fine and they require quite a bit more than my hardware allows and yet the system copes admirably.........but this is taking the..........I won't swear.

I had major problems with SH3 when it first came out and know that this will get sorted, but for gods sake, this is so poor......I admire the developers for creating such amazing games......but as for the publishers? damn it......cut the developers a bit of slack why don't you!

We buy games to play, not put away and spend half our time posting about bugs on forums.........

Rant over on my part.........sorry people but I've quite frankly had enough......I shall continue to play it and suffer the problems until they get fixed.........and for those who have no problems, I am happy that you don't have to suffer like the ones who do.

Please don't flame me for my opinion as sometimes I may come accross as sounding not very nice, but nothing personal is meant :)

GakunGak
03-30-07, 08:47 AM
Try to dive with no periscopes extended until you drain them and surface again and see if it appears again.... If it does, post your problem in Neal's Top Ten Bugs....:hmm:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 08:58 AM
Ok will do mate

Thanks for another suggestion :D

GakunGak
03-30-07, 09:54 AM
Just remember me if I ever happen to go back in the brig....:rotfl:
Kidding...:smug:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 10:20 AM
I'll remember you no worries :up: and I'll give you a pass for the brig! :D

Right I did what you said and fine no problems, but I still feel its something to do with the tc, I tried again and set it to 256 and left alone, then I was told merchant spotted, and sure enough when I got the bridge it was there again :cry:

If I quit the game and then go back to it later the problem is gone, and all is fine again, I don't get it I just don't get it :-?

GakunGak
03-30-07, 10:26 AM
I suspect it may be with your video card, maybe it's overloaded?
Try minimum level of details in the game options and see if it appears again....
I sometimes see that effect when I ALT+TAB out of some game, but if there's only problem with that, what the hell, look for a ships to sink, not at the sky.

TIP: Try looking at a sky when night, see if the stars are clear. If not, you stepped inside bermuda triangle....:hmm:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 10:33 AM
I'm certain my card is ok as I have'nt tampered with it like overclocking etc......only thing is that in the control panel as we discussed before I set everything to best quality, only thing off is anistropic and aa.

Other games are just fine, not had a problem and as I said before alot of my other stuff requires more than my system can deal with, and yet it copes quite sufficient :)

At night the stars are clear, only time it annoys me is if I have aircraft spotted, and then of course I get niggly about it.

Funnily enough I wish I was inside the Bermuda Triangle right now! :lol:

Only ships I have had have been 2 fishing boats, but they did'nt survive to tell the story :lol:

GakunGak
03-30-07, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the trawler-killer club...:up:
Now, at this stage I would suggest the following:
1. Take a deep breath
2. Still holding breath, go to your friend and see if there's problem too
3. Still holding breath, TC to maximum.
4. If there's a problem, you may not breathe.
5. Otherwize, breathe deeply.:dead:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 10:43 AM
In that case consider me dead then :rotfl:I'd never survive that :lol:

One thing I will do though is tonight go back a driver set to what I had when I got the game as I'm pretty sure I did'nt have this problem then only the flashing I get on the bridge, but I've put that in the bug thread so here's hoping

I'll post back when I know the result of that, other than that I will have to just pray that others get this and it is a bug, glitch etc......and then the developers can add that to their ever growing list :cry:

I don't wish problems on others of course not, but the comment above might look like I do, but that's far from how I feel.

GakunGak
03-30-07, 10:47 AM
In that case consider me dead then :rotfl:I'd never survive that :lol:

One thing I will do though is tonight go back a driver set to what I had when I got the game as I'm pretty sure I did'nt have this problem then only the flashing I get on the bridge, but I've put that in the bug thread so here's hoping

I'll post back when I know the result of that, other than that I will have to just pray that others get this and it is a bug, glitch etc......and then the developers can add that to their ever growing list :cry:

I don't wish problems on others of course not, but the comment above might look like I do, but that's far from how I feel.
Seems like you are somewhere in Europe or eastern, then you know the sayin':
If it's broke, don't repair it...
Good luck, uniquemind!:know:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 10:49 AM
Yeah I know the saying, I'm UK based :)

Thanks for the help mate

Cheers :)

GakunGak
03-30-07, 10:53 AM
Just make sure you get the game running or we have a right to sue UBI for emotional distress....:doh:
That's quite popular thing in Montenegro.
If you ever come to adriatic sea just above Italy, come to Herceg Novi, that's where I am.
Free drink!:yep: :smug:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the offer, I doubt I'd ever go anywhere really, as due to certain problems I cannot travel, but nice to have been invited :D

Having said that, you can have the drink for me, how's that? :D

Just going to retry the game using the 6.12's I had when I first got the game, can't recall any problems with the sky using those, but we'll see

GakunGak
03-30-07, 02:48 PM
Thnx for the invitation, if I ever happen to travel to UK, I'll PM you.;)

Try with the older drivers as you said, but i recommend that you remove the present drivers. IF there's still a problem, install the latest drivers available as they tend to speed up a video card a bit...
Post results if helped.:up:

uniquemind
03-30-07, 03:01 PM
Right I tried the 6.12's and still the same, confused is not the word......frustrated is :down:

I'll stick the 7.3's back tomorrow then.

I know I was told to not post images from Imageshack, as they stretch the screen, thing is I was using Photobucket and thought my screenshots were ok, as they don't stretch on my screen, no idea how to put screens up now, although nothing new to show, its like it was in the first screenshot I put up in this thread.

Photbucket does'nt appear to give me a thumbnail option, so I can't put screenshots up then sadly.

I think I will have to shelve the game until this is all sorted, just worried that as no-one else reports this it will get overlooked......I really hope not as the last thing I want to do is put this game away for good on the pile of games that don't work well on my system (the piles consists of none right now though so it would be the first), but my card is fine, fans all work, and no heat problems, or anything else so..................:-?

GakunGak
03-30-07, 03:16 PM
You are wrong that you are told not to post images, you are ADVISED that you:
1. post images on imageshack.us
2. Copy/paste linx from the field: thumbnails for forums.

Or you could still use the Photobucket...:lol:

Remember, I told you this before...:|\\

uniquemind
03-30-07, 03:25 PM
Was it you :-? oh apologies I did'nt realise, I thought and could have sworn it was someone else, I am sorry :D I actually remember the Advised bit now

So did my previous screenshots stretch the screen for you :-?

GakunGak
03-30-07, 03:31 PM
They did stretched, but never mind, I just thought it might be more "cooler" for a sight...:yep:

Never mind...
Right now, I'm gonna sink into Sub Command and all custom missions created for her!:rock:
See ya, mate!:|\\