PDA

View Full Version : Deck Gun Aiming off center

Probex
03-28-07, 02:00 AM
I had the same bug in SH3 on occasion. The gun simply stops shooting straight sometimes. Same thing is happeing here. I have to aim quite a bit to the right of the target to have the shell fall where I want them.

Is there a simple solution to re-align the deckgun after this starts happening?
To save people time, it is NOT a wind factor. This is not a drift. The shell emerges from the gun WAAY off center.

Thanks

Duli
03-28-07, 04:38 AM
In my game, they are wayyyy to low too. So I always have to manualy shoot with the deckgun. What`s with that?

joea
03-28-07, 04:42 AM
How accurate do you guys think real deck guns were anyway? :roll:

ijozic
03-28-07, 06:22 AM
How accurate do you guys think real deck guns were anyway? :roll:

Well, I'd expect that at the very least the sights were lined up with the gun horizontally. :D

cunnutazzo
03-28-07, 06:43 AM
if you are shooting while the sub moves, it should be the "deflection"

Prof
03-28-07, 06:55 AM
No, I get the same thing (in SH3 too) and it's not wind or the motion of your submarine. Sometimes, when using the deck gun, the shell will appear offset in the sights. Usually it's to the left but I'm sure I've had it off to the right in SH3. The shell doesn't seem to 'drift' into that position but appears off centre from firing and stays there as it heads to the target.

joea
03-28-07, 06:56 AM
BINGO I get this with GWX!!! Looks like another feature developed by mods and implemented by the devs!

Seadogs
03-28-07, 08:30 AM
BINGO I get this with GWX!!! Looks like another feature developed by mods and implemented by the devs!

No, I've had it too a few times as well and if you see it, it's quite obviously incorrect.

And to answer the OP, the few times it happened to me a save and an exit corrected it.

AVGWarhawk
03-28-07, 08:36 AM
I'm usually shooting on the fly so I'm always at the gun aiming and re-aiming:yep: But yes, I know of this bug and it usually happens at night time for me;)

SteamWake
03-28-07, 09:00 AM
What would time of day have to do with it ?

Anyhow in real life many things can influence ballastics, temprature, wind, elevation, deflection, quality of the round, cleanliness of the weapon, relative humidity, and if you held your mouth just right as you pulled the trigger.

I doubt if these things are modelled in the game though.

I dont have SH4 yet but I found the gun in SH3 to be supprisingly accurate.

AVGWarhawk
03-28-07, 09:22 AM

Anyhow in real life many things can influence ballastics, temprature, wind, elevation, deflection, quality of the round, cleanliness of the weapon, relative humidity, and if you held your mouth just right as you pulled the trigger.

It happens to me when I use the gun at night! I do not see a problem with that statement.

The gun is the same in SH4 as in SH3 for the most part. BTW it also happened at night time in SH3 for me as well.

Seadogs
03-28-07, 09:29 AM

Yeppers I know my ballistics, I'm a MK 86 GFCS Fire Controlman in the Navy.

To be honest I thought it was some kind of damage modeling at first. I thought "Cool, they added in your sight alignment geting knocked out of sorts". Then it happened for no reason and disapeared after re-load.

SteamWake
03-28-07, 09:31 AM
I dont see a problem with it either. It was a question... why would time of day influence the flight of a projectile ?

Wow foks are on edge these days.

Im guessing that its something in the game code. Im going to assume that what you see portrayed visually does not neccessarly jive with the the calculations.

AVGWarhawk
03-28-07, 10:01 AM
I dont see a problem with it either. It was a question... why would time of day influence the flight of a projectile ?

Wow foks are on edge these days.

Im guessing that its something in the game code. Im going to assume that what you see portrayed visually does not neccessarly jive with the the calculations.
I was not stating that night has something to do with it but in the game I only happen to experience this phenomenon at night time.

The follow up of "Anyhow" in the next paragraph reflects a derogatory response to the statement of mine concerning night time and the cannon. That is all. No harm no foul

Loke
03-28-07, 10:10 AM
and it's not wind Are you sure? As seen on the flags on this screenshot, SH4 wind can be extremely unpredictable... :p

http://www.lokesoftware.dk/sh4wind.jpg

SteamWake
03-28-07, 10:16 AM
and it's not wind Are you sure? As seen on the flags on this screenshot, SH4 wind can be extremely unpredictable... :p

Indeed there is even wind underwater evidently. Next time you sink a ship watch it with the cam and the flag flys even underwater.

BBury
03-28-07, 10:42 AM
I had this happen to me yesterday. After I torpedoed the carrier and it partially capsized while resting on the bottom is when the aim point shifted. I was stationary in a S-18 with partial light shooting at a stationary carrier from about 500 yards and I had to aim way left as the shells were impacting considerable to the right all the sudden. I was in a harbor with calm water. When I first opened up on the carrier they were shooting correctly.

So, this isn't a weather related issue unless it's a weather related bug.

Takao
03-28-07, 05:25 PM
Sounds like the bug is a carryover from SHIII. I had it happen several times with the vanilla SHIII. Only recently have I downloaded it GWX. If its still in SHIV, don't expect it to be corrected. It was a minor annoyance that could be compensated for once it occurred. The only thing the wind speed indicator did was prevent you from firing the guns(unless you modded it, as I did). I would shoot in 15 m/s winds and hit the target right where I was aiming for. Then the glitch would happen and my shots are going way left/right. So, I just looked where the shot fell and that became my "new" aiming point. I never figured out what triggered the bug, it just seemed to happen every now and then.

Deep6
03-28-07, 08:06 PM

:rotfl:Thats awesome.