PDA

View Full Version : Is the game worth it??

CWorth
03-27-07, 05:23 PM
Just a quick post after a good absence...is this game worth getting now that it is out and will a system that ran SH3 well run it well also?

Have been tossing it about whether to buy or not to fill the time that I am not playing World of Warcraft which has filled all my spare time since my last post on the forum.

DaMaGe007
03-27-07, 05:32 PM
Post your specs, you need a beefy machine to run it well.
There are lots of bugs at the moment, hopefully they all get addressed before UBI pulls the plug.

ParaB
03-27-07, 05:33 PM
I guess like so many things it depends on your expectations. Since I bought the game last wednesday I already got enough fun out of it to justify the 44€ it cost me, which is about the amount of money I spend on two nights on the town.

There are quite a number of bugs, left out features, AI balancing and other problems. The lack of anti-aliasing and of higher resolutions than 1024x768 of the 3d world is disappointing.

OTOH we already got a (much needed) patch and more will hopefully come soon.

The modders are already working to improve gameplay and I see a very big potential in game.

As for your system: SH4 demands more performance than SH3. A fairly modern grafics card is a must.

OneTinSoldier
03-27-07, 05:35 PM
You're going to get as many different opinions as there are people on this forum!

Here's my very short one.

Game is pretty cool. It is playable, to a degree. There are so many bugs I would imagine that Ubi Romania is using an Oracle Database to try and track them all. So if you don't mind quite a few bugs and broken implementation of various features/items, get it. It should be good if/when the they patch it up to a polished state. Otherwise wait until it's had some more patching. You are probably used to the polished state of SH3 + GWX. You won't find there here, yet, just to let you know.

You will like it even in it's present state if you are a fan of the PTO and U.S. Subs.

CWorth
03-27-07, 05:40 PM
Well just hearing of the bugs and such has already turned me off from buying...I guess Ubi still has not learned their lesson about releasing bug ridden games.

Oh well really looked forward to the game...maybe next game they will get it right,but then again who am I kidding.They have not managed to get it right for years so what makes me think they will now or in the future.

Chuck B.
03-27-07, 06:35 PM
My 10 cents:

If you have SHIII - don't buy SHIV now.

If you don't have SHIII - buy SHIII instead.

In short: No, the game is not worth getting NOW.

9th_cow
03-27-07, 06:35 PM
mods are already fixing some annoyances.
and as for running it i couldnt max out SHIII from what i recall. and run this fine ( with most eye candy off)

Iron Budokan
03-27-07, 08:13 PM
Is it worth buying. Hm. The main question is, do you like shelling out your hard earned money only to be bent over a stump?

Okay, it's not that bad. In fact it's pretty good despite its myriad of problems. I'm optimisitic. I think many of these problems will be solved in the near future. Mind, I'm not giving Ubi a pass on shoving this unbaked potato out the door....but I DO believe a lot of the aggravating bugs will be tamped down sooner rather than later.

So, yes, if you don't have the game go ahead and buy it. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Just make sure you got the specs to run it, though. Have fun!

Donger94107
03-27-07, 10:09 PM
As a loyal SHII and SHIII owner, I'm waiting for my SHIV delivery (to California) from Amazon, and I've been reading all the posts about bugs and framerates and all the back-and-forth. I've also read a few items about needing a "beefy" PC. So here are my specs. Would someone please let me know what to expect?

Windows XP
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz
Asus P5NSLI Mobo
2xMSI GeForce 7600GS
4x512 DDR2 RAM PC5300

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :D:ping::D

PeriscopeDepth
03-27-07, 10:15 PM
As a loyal SHII and SHIII owner, I'm waiting for my SHIV delivery (to California) from Amazon, and I've been reading all the posts about bugs and framerates and all the back-and-forth. I've also read a few items about needing a "beefy" PC. So here are my specs. Would someone please let me know what to expect?

Windows XP
Asus P5NSLI Mobo
2xMSI GeForce 7600GS
4x512 DDR2 RAM PC5300

I would upgrade the card if you have the cash. The 7600 is on the low end of things, and on top of that the GS is a dumbed down version of it. As you are now, you'll be able to run on on medium setting without much of a problem though.

PD

Donger94107
03-27-07, 10:47 PM
I'll live with medium.

Thanks!

cappy70
03-27-07, 10:55 PM
Hmmm World of Warcraft?? well then,, no other games is in there....according to "book-of-addicted"............................

Qoute from post: ""Oh well really looked forward to the game...maybe next game they will get it right,but then again who am I kidding.They have not managed to get it right for years so what makes me think they will now or in the future""

Why ask if you "knew"???

An add for WoW???:D :D :D

P.S. Ohh,, forgot nick: "Cworth"......

cappy70
03-27-07, 11:01 PM
I wonder how "Cworthy" WoW is????

CCIP
03-27-07, 11:39 PM
Don't buy SHIV, get out more instead! :rotfl:

(j/k, you know how it is with WoW)

Personally, I think it's a blast if you're willing to live with a few nags and dig up a few tweaks on the mod forum. It will be a no-nonsense good game in a few weeks from now.

Counter-intuitive though it may seem - if you're impatient and have steep expectations from a pacific sim, DON'T get this game right now. You'll find yourself frustrated. Buy it a few weeks from now, or buy it now and play it a few weeks from now. You'll save yourself some of the dashed expectations.

If you're patient and are willing to "work with what's there", though, you'll enjoy it like I am.

Anachronous
03-28-07, 12:14 AM
My 10 cents:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. SH3 with the amount of content it has now is much better than the very buggy SH4.

Sh4 is almost pre-release as far as im concerned. Which is typcial of many games today (Stalker was another recent one).

If SH3 had SH4's graphical effects then there would be no reason to bother with SH4.

If you cant run SH4's graphical effects then you arent missing out on anything.

I think ill be waiting a year before I come back to SH4.

Da_Junka
03-28-07, 12:35 AM
Agreed, buy SH3, leave SH4 on the shelf, I bought it and regret it, should have waited for it to go out on budget. If you havent played SH3 then you might find SH4 okay, just okay, if you can ignore the multitude of bugs and annoyance. If you have played SH3, then you will most like be extremely miffed with SH4 and go back to playing SH3 like my good self.

Rilder
03-28-07, 01:41 AM
Just a quick post after a good absence...is this game worth getting now that it is out and will a system that ran SH3 well run it well also?

Have been tossing it about whether to buy or not to fill the time that I am not playing World of Warcraft which has filled all my spare time since my last post on the forum.

Server? Race? Class?

Me, I'm
Andorhal, Tauren, Shaman.

Horde FTW. :D

As for whether SHIV is worth it, of course its worth it, its damn fun and thats all that counts;

Though I don't Honestly see why it requires so much more a Graphics card then SHIII, on lowest settings it looks equal to, or around SHIII yet its frame rate is lower. If anything SH4 on lowest should out preform SHIII on highest; ah well must be messed up programming some were.

1mPHUNit0
03-28-07, 02:41 AM

Totally correct

TheSatyr
03-28-07, 03:17 AM
That the majority of games these days have more lines of code and are more complex then Windows XP. Now how long and how many patches did it take Microsoft to patch XP to where it is today? And that is from a company that can easily afford to pay the Devs what they need to patch the XP OS.

How can you honestly expect a small company like Ubisoft (It may be a big company in the gaming world...but it's a small company in the real world.),to put out a problem free game when a giant like Microsoft can't put out a problem free OS??

Considering how large and how complex games are getting I'm sometimes amazed that they even run at all. Consider how many hundreds if not thousands of lines of code need to be written for a game these days. People make errors...errors cause bugs. Considering how much code needs to be written I'm surprised there aren't more bugs per game than there actually are.

In short,if a company like Microsoft with their army of Developers can't make a bug free product,then don't expect a small group of devs like The SH4 Devs to make a perfect game.

Paapaa
03-28-07, 03:39 AM
I disagree 100% here:

1. There is no excuse to release a totally buggy and almost unplayable game. SH4 is not ready for release. It is still in heavy beta phase and it is being tested on customers. That is the wrong way to sell games. Do you honestly think that people should stop whining about buying badly broken stuff? I don't think so. I think they should tell it straight to the developers and the company behind the product.

2. Comparing SH4 and Windows XP is totally pointless because I think Windows XP _also_ should not have been released in so broken state. I can't understand your "if Microsoft does it, all can do it" logic at all. Microsoft's QA sucks badly and so does UbiSoft's. (And that is why I use Linux which actually works...) Besides, SH4 is still a lot easier project to manage than an OS.

3. Don't think that large code works only because of miracle/magic. There are plenty of examples of very large projects which DO work because of good design and proper testing.

So how things should have gone:

1. Make bugless code! Use tools and laguages which make it easier: assembler < C < C++ etc. Make better design that prevents bugs. Plan ahead.

2. Nail the old bugs before adding new fancy features. Now we see SH4 which is beautiful to look but the bugs are just too overwhelming. All the effort was put to pretty graphics not to making it work.

3. Test your program before releasing it. Im sure there would've been many SH3 enthusiasts who would've tested SH4 for free and reported all the bugs to the author. Even a short period would have helped a lot.

I mean everything in SH4 shows that it was released way too early: bugs, manual. A few bug is understandable but SH4 really broke the record.

Da_Junka
03-28-07, 04:07 AM
Seems all big software/publishers, whatever, are pulling this fast one on its customers these days, using the paying public as free beta testers. And there is a great anger building within the consumers, knowing they are getting used and treated like fools and worse still having to pay for the privilege.
Software houses and dev teams that you use to trust are now at it, take Egosoft, they always had good relations with there fans, then they started with X2 releasing a half done game, then later X3 wasent even half finished, it took them a further 1.5 years to finally finish that.
There are still some smaller software houses trying to release a finished product, but unfortunately they are but a few.
Anyway the proof is in the pudding and custard anyone who's ever played a game can see SH4 is only half finished and maybe in a year, well, who knows.

Spray
03-28-07, 04:14 AM

Windows XP
Asus P5NSLI Mobo
2xMSI GeForce 7600GS
4x512 DDR2 RAM PC5300

I would upgrade the card if you have the cash. The 7600 is on the low end of things, and on top of that the GS is a dumbed down version of it. As you are now, you'll be able to run on on medium setting without much of a problem though.

PD

The 7600 series (GT in particular) is counted as a High Midrange to a Low Toprange card. It runs SH3-4 all GFX full no stutters. Please next time read up a bit more or ask someone with a proper card. As for me im holding onto my dual 7950GTX's longer. Im an ex 7600GT owner.

PeriscopeDepth
03-28-07, 04:19 AM

Windows XP
Asus P5NSLI Mobo
2xMSI GeForce 7600GS
4x512 DDR2 RAM PC5300

PD
The 7600 series (GT in particular) is counted as a High Midrange to a Low Toprange card. It runs SH3-4 all GFX full no stutters. Please next time read up a bit more or ask someone with a proper card. As for me im holding onto my dual 7950GTX's longer. Im an ex 7600GT owner.
I told him he would be able to play on medium settings with no problem. How is that inaccurate? My 7600GT sure doesn't run SH4 "all GFX full no stutters". Environmental effects HAS to be off for me to get playable (24+) FPS in weather.

PD

1mPHUNit0
03-28-07, 04:24 AM
I don't think so....

P4 D945 3.4Mhz 775 socket
Fsb 800mhz 2MB L2 cache
Asus P5PL2
2GB Ram DDr2 256
Nvidia GForce 7600GT PCIE 256

All graphic settings on max.
30-40 fps
Forceware 94.20

PeriscopeDepth
03-28-07, 04:27 AM
Sorry, I guess I was mistaken. The rest of your guys' systems are higher end than mine. It wasn't my intention to give a false impression of the system performance he could expect.

Which do you think is holding me back more my processor (P4 2.8) or my 1 GB of RAM?

PD

1mPHUNit0
03-28-07, 04:46 AM
It's not so simple.
1GB dual channel?
Mhz?
Maybe, quite sure, 2GB it's a well choice

RypeL
03-28-07, 06:02 AM
I don't think so....

P4 D945 3.4Mhz 775 socket
Fsb 800mhz 2MB L2 cache
Asus P5PL2
2GB Ram DDr2 256
Nvidia GForce 7600GT PCIE 256

All graphic settings on max.
30-40 fps
Forceware 94.20

I agree with PeriscopeDeath. A 7600 is not really a card for all maxxed out. With Enviromental Effects in heavy fog(that seems to be there quite often) you get framerates arround 20 or lower with a 7600 GT(1024x768). I havent had fog+a burning task force together yet but that might also give you framerates about 10 fps. I have a core2duo e6600 and 3 Gigs of ram so the CPU is not slowing down my framerates card. Some might not care but for others like me who are used to playing at high framerates 20 frames is not really enyojable. However with Enviromental Effects turned of a 7600 is capable of running the game very fine with everything else maxed. without enviromentals i get frames of 50+ nearly anytime. So even a 7600GS should be able to run the game fine if enviromental effects are turned off.

1mPHUNit0
03-28-07, 06:23 AM
Mine are real data on my pc...so...
it depends
I don't sell geaphic cards or pc or games

cueceleches
03-28-07, 06:33 AM
IMHO SHIV is a good complement to SH3...New theater of ops, new subs and despite the 1024x768 resolution (that will be cured for sure) I still think it looks very nice...maybe I´m not too demanding on it. I just like the way it is. If it´s get better, then fine.

StandingCow
03-28-07, 06:37 AM
I quit wow like 5 times... hehe.

If you have a nice system I would get SH4.

DaMaGe007
03-28-07, 06:40 AM
Donger, I sent this in a PM, since I have already posted in the previous threads about framerate, but since the discussion is still on fps, I will posty it here aswell for the others to read.

I think you will be fine on high settings with envitomental effects off.
THis means you lose the transparent water and fog.
Medium settings, high settings makes no difference to the framerate on my machine I use a 7800gs 512mb.
I notice you have 2, but aparently the game doesnt use SLI.

I only have one and a slightly older architecture.

p4 2.8g 800fsb
2gb ram
7800gs agp 512mb
All settings maxed, enviro off (rez makes no diff either)

14-16fps at pearl harbour/large convoy (bridge view)
20-24fps small convoy attack (bridge view)
40ish fps alone in the ocean (bridge view)

Bridge view being the slowest view, inside the sub, and periscope, are higher. Its playable and looks fine. Wouldnt want it any slower, and it depends on your standards.

If you want enviro effects you gonna need more grunt, unless it magicly uses the SLI, worth waiting on the upgrade till you try the game.

Map view at 2048-8192 TC is 1-2Fps but I can live with that, high TC brings most systems to its knees. I think its more processor related, so I think you will get slightly higher fps than me all round. I would be interested to hear your results in a future PM, once you get the game.

Hope this helps

Bungo_Pete
03-28-07, 06:42 AM

Dude where do you live in getysburgh?...that place is like the holy grail for me,never been there:down:please tell me you live on the west side i.e mcphersons ridge.:rock:

CWorth
03-28-07, 02:36 PM

Dude where do you live in getysburgh?...that place is like the holy grail for me,never been there:down:please tell me you live on the west side i.e mcphersons ridge.:rock:

I will have to wait and see how the game goes in terms of patches and mods...
Maybe pick it up when it hits the bargain bin.

I live outside Southern Gettysburg...

As for server/race etc posted before..

Misha Realm
Night Elf
Lvl 52 Druid
<Dead by Day> Guild

gord96
03-28-07, 02:44 PM
its a good sim. The only bugs that bother me are the watch crew damage, the no AA on the graphics and the fact that they retire you after 5-8 patrols. that last one makes the game near unplayable for me :(

oritpro
03-28-07, 02:53 PM

I'll sell ya my copy for $40 shipped if you really are in PA.

Excellent condition and only used once.

This is a serious offer.

Faber
Spirestone Realm
Night Elf
Lvl 70 Druid

Immacolata
03-28-07, 03:01 PM
If you play WoW, then keep doing that and wait with SHIV untill you hit lv 70 :) I find the game goes DEAD on me at that level. About then SHIV will have at least one more patch (I hope) and there will be much less whining about it (Again, I hope!)

But as of version 1.1 I find it entertaining and worth the money, with bugs and what not.

Drokkon
03-28-07, 05:07 PM
I aplaud you Paapaa.

Seeing the smileys on the radar, doesn't put a smile on my face with the condition of the game. More time should have been spent on getting things to work than on easter eggs.

I can't really blame Ubi either. They ask the devolopers how much time they need to finish. Then they factor how much time will be wasted on developers pet projects (smilies on the radar). Minus this time off to push the developers into being productive.

PeriscopeDepth
03-28-07, 05:12 PM
I can't really blame Ubi either. They ask the devolopers how much time they need to finish. Then they factor how much time will be wasted on developers pet projects (smilies on the radar). Minus this time off to push the developers into being productive.

I don't work at Ubi or anything, but somehow I doubt that the publisher gives the developers as much time as they need. In fact, I believe a poster who used to work at EA said something to this effect recently.

PD

Penelope_Grey
03-28-07, 05:25 PM
Is this game worth it? Short answer.

No. I don't like it nearly as much as its predecessor. I can't get used to the interface, its not that user friendly, and the crew management is just too confusing. Especially damage control, can't make that work for love nor money.

Drokkon
03-28-07, 05:33 PM
You are right Periscope. The problem is with all the easter eggs. The developers from I think it was Mad Dog brought this front and center by putting a topless girl in a kids game. After that incident I believe that they now push the developers to hard to keep this from happening again. They don't want them waisting time and possibly getting them sued over having time for horseplay at work.

You might say a few bad apples ruined it for all.