PDA

View Full Version : Planes at night

Drokkon
03-27-07, 05:11 PM
I don't have any facts to base this on. When I was in the navy in the south pacific doing midnight aft lookout watches. I would notice how bright our wake was at night with all the phosphorescents we distrurbed in it. Do you think this is modeled here?

I sail at 2/3 speed at night and havn't been attacked at night. Of course I'm still messing around within the first 6 months though.

Sailor Steve
03-27-07, 05:23 PM
The Japanese never had airborne radar that I'm aware of. I'm also aware that I don't know and could easily be wrong on this, but I don't think US subs were ever in danger from night air attacks.

Drokkon
03-27-07, 05:53 PM
My point isn't radar. It's the bright glowing wake you leave in the pacific by cruising at fast speeds. It can sometimes be seen for a mile behind a vessel which would be like a contrail of a jet in the sky. I don't need radar to tell me a plane is up there I can see it's contrail. A plane flying over head would only need to see this then follow it to the sub.

PeriscopeDepth
03-27-07, 06:09 PM
Does anybody know if the Japanese even operated ASW aircraft at night?

PD

Drokkon
03-27-07, 06:26 PM
I agree with you there. I don't think they would be prepared to attack you at these hours. They should call your postion in and in a few hours plane attacks or a patrol of subchasers or DDs should pop up in 24 hrs. I'm sure they did alot of night flying though since the distances to bomb areas or resupply troops was great.