PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Real Medals v1.00

fullmetaledges
03-27-07, 01:23 AM
http://files.filefront.com//;7043715;;/ (http://files.filefront.com//;7043715;;/)

I couldn't get the crew medals to work with the crew interface but I changed the medals in the medals box and the citation. This is my first modding attempt so pm me with any issues. Hopefully I can get the crew stuff working and I will update v1.00.

JScones
03-27-07, 03:54 AM
Great. :up: Watching this closely. :yep:

Barkhorn1x
03-27-07, 07:59 AM
Thanks for this mod. Good work.

Tieg
03-27-07, 09:45 AM
This is awesome...just installed it and haven't had a chance to check it out due to going back to work (its lunch) but if it is what it is...outstanding. I cannot stand that dumb purple medal and as a guy who is currently active duty navy...the medals were a huge let down. I look forward to the mod that hooks up the crew as well...but beggars can't be choosy and they sure as h**l can wait ;)

LukeFF
03-27-07, 01:33 PM
Nice job! Hopefully we'll get the crew medal screen squared away in short order.

Tigrone
03-27-07, 01:41 PM
Very nicely done. I'm still learning all this stuff myself.

Fullmetaledges, a note on JSGME Mod installer. I am sorry, I noticed you nested "real_medals" inside of a duplicate folder. You will need to remove the nested duplicate for it to be able to work. Installing it in a "nest" will break the correct address chain. It often happens, because a nest folder is created by the zip ap that you use if you zip a folder rather than just its contents.

You created: real_medals_v[1].100\real medals v.100\data\Menu\Data
The JSGME address chain needs to be just: real_medals_v.100\Data\Menu\Data

That will work for install.

I notice the menu.text is just the SH3 one with some code strings added at the end. It also looks like they used some code lines from SH3 and the new ones added. That is going to make this a little more complex to locate the correct lines to mod. It may be hard to tell which lines are being read by the game.

Beery
03-27-07, 02:16 PM
I notice the menu.text is just the SH3 one with some code strings added at the end. It also looks like they used some code lines from SH3 and the new ones added. That is going to make this a little more complex to locate the correct lines to mod. It may be hard to tell which lines are being read by the game.

This is the biggest problem I'm running into in regard to modding this game. Often there are two files - the SH3 one and the SH4 one, and there's no guarantee that SH4 will use the SH4 file. I expect the same will happen inside files too. It's very annoying. There must be a whole bunch of unused files and useless code clogging up the game.

fullmetaledges
03-27-07, 03:45 PM
Very nicely done. I'm still learning all this stuff myself.

Fullmetaledges, a note on JSGME Mod installer. I am sorry, I noticed you nested "real_medals" inside of a duplicate folder. You will need to remove the nested duplicate for it to be able to work. Installing it in a "nest" will break the correct address chain. It often happens, because a nest folder is created by the zip ap that you use if you zip a folder rather than just its contents.

You created: real_medals_v[1].100\real medals v.100\data\Menu\Data
The JSGME address chain needs to be just: real_medals_v.100\Data\Menu\Data

That will work for install.

I just downloaded it again and I don't see a duplicate folder. If you place the real medals v.100 in the jgsme mods folder it should work it does on my machine. Maybe your seeing something that I am not. Beery feel free to take the files I altered and do whatever you want with them.

Tigrone
03-27-07, 04:02 PM
Whem I unzipped I got a nested file, which is no biggy, I know to look. Must have been done by my 7z.

OneTinSoldier
03-27-07, 06:11 PM
I'm not getting nested top level folders, and I use 7-Zip too. Top two folders in the archive are...

real medals v.100 --> data

Just an FYI.

Tieg
03-27-07, 06:32 PM
Echoing my first post in this thread...great mod. My only observation is that the importance of medals may be out of wack. I just finished my first patrol with the medal mod and recieved a Navy Cross for sinking around 60k of shipping which is about right historically. However, when it came time to give out medals to the crew I had 5 medal of honors to give out which is completely out of sorts. It took a lot historically to get a medal of honor and even then normally the medal of honor was given to the CO only and the exec might get a navy cross and so on and so on. If necessary I can give you an order of medals ranked on their importance if needed.

An classic example was the CO of the Albacore, Jim Blanchard, got a shot at the aircraft carrier, Taiho (31,000 tons). He had a problem with the TDC and fired his 6 forward tubes by "seaman's eye". He got one solid hit and recieved a severe depth charge. Meanwhile the Taiho carried on and eventually a error in damage control caused a severe explosion which sank the carrier 6-7 hours later. No one on board the sub or back at Pearl believed the carrier sank and Blanchard was given credit for damaging a "Shokaku-class" carrier. He was awarded a commendation ribbon and it was left at that. A few months later a POW claimed the carrier was in fact sunk and eventually it was confirmed. Blanchard's commendation was later updated to a Navy Cross.

The above sea story which came out of "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair Jr. gives you a little example on how the medals were given out. I'm sure you can't control how the medals are divied out for specific action but rather is based on tonnage/priority targets I would imagine. Even then the Medal of Honor should probably be ranked a bit higher then the navy cross or silver star.

Again though...thanks for making the game a little bitter in the eye candy department with the real medals vice the fake ones that are stock with the game.

fullmetaledges
03-27-07, 06:35 PM
i will try to find where it ranks the importance of the medals and adjust it i've only gotten 1 medal for all of my patrols and no crew medals so I wasn't aware of this. I think the file is in \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Cfg\medals.cfg but I can't make any sense of it.

Beery
03-27-07, 07:16 PM
Beery feel free to take the files I altered and do whatever you want with them.

Thanks. I'll plug it into RFB when I get the chance. I worked on these issues for RUb, and I really wish I could help you more on this stuff, but I've forgotten almost everything and I threw out my notes a while ago, thinking that SH4 would be nothing like SH3 - silly me, LOL.

Beery
03-27-07, 07:24 PM
i will try to find where it ranks the importance of the medals and adjust it...

I think this used to be kept in Data\Cfg\basic.cfg. Where it is in SH4 is anyone's guess, but it may still be in basic.cfg.

LukeFF
03-27-07, 09:23 PM
fullmetaledges, any success yet on finding/modifying the crew management screen medals?

fullmetaledges
03-27-07, 09:28 PM
almost there fine tuning it im going to work on it later tonght, i still need to get the game to award the medals in the right order tho. FYI the in the games config files for a crewman it will say medals=bronze star but ingame it will display a purple heart so i don't know how screwed up it is. oh yeah they also use the real medal names in there config files.

LukeFF
03-27-07, 09:57 PM
I don't know if it helps you any, but page 79 of the manual shows the crew management screen with the historically correct medals. Perhaps there's a file hidden somewhere in the directory with this correct file, much like the case with the full-size medals?

Beery
03-27-07, 11:36 PM
The old SH3 files for adjusting the medal images were:

data\Menu\Data\awards.tga
data\Menu\Data\insigne.tga

Hopefully this might help in tracking down the files in SH4, although SH4 tends to use DDS files rather than TGA files. There is an awards.dds file and an insigne.dds file in SH4's Data\Menu\Data folder. Hopefully one of these is the file you need to complete work on this.

Beery
03-28-07, 12:28 AM
I've been looking through files and folders. Noticed that Data\UPCdata\UPCcrewdata has three text files - you've probably seen them already, but just in case, they're Medals.upc, Qualifications.upc and Ranks.upc.

Also, in Data\UPCdata\UPClocalization the UPClocalization.tsr file is a text file with some medal listings about a quarter of the way down the file.

Tigrone
03-28-07, 12:35 AM
I don't know if it helps you any, but page 79 of the manual shows the crew management screen with the historically correct medals. Perhaps there's a file hidden somewhere in the directory with this correct file, much like the case with the full-size medals?

Boy, you've got good eyes. I had to use a magnifying glass. They do look like the real ones and in the correct order of precedence. The Medal of Honor seems to have just the suspension knot without a neck ribbon. Ok, so at some time the workup had the real deal and then they put in the fakes? Pointless to ask why, but if they were there, they can be swapped back in.

I looked at the Basic.cfg and the German Medals, Knight's Cross and all, are still there (It simply is the SH3 .cfg), so that section at least is not being used in SH4.

Psycluded posted this in the earlier REQ thread if anyone needs it, a DDS utility plugin for Photoshop. He wrote, " put in your photoshop\plugins\file formats directory."

http://psycluded.net/files/D3DXTextureFormat.8bi

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 12:45 AM
Great job! :rock:

nimitstexan
03-28-07, 02:00 AM
I looked at the Basic.cfg and the German Medals, Knight's Cross and all, are still there (It simply is the SH3 .cfg), so that section at least is not being used in SH4.
\

Actually, the whole Basic.cfg looks useless as far as SHIV is concerned, as everything in it (service dates for U-Boat classes, etc.) is specifically applicable to SH3.

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 02:37 AM
ok the crews medals are done but I am having problems finding the file to modify the requirements for each medal so you don't get like 5 medal of honors for your crew

Lukemb
03-28-07, 04:03 AM
For the crew medals I had a look at ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc for my current crew (in My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames).

It seems that for the crew the medals work in this way:

Medal in-game vs. Text in ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc
Wounded Medal = Bronze Star
Patrol Star = Silver Star
Submarine Service Medal = Purple Heart

My crew has not received other medals so I'm not sure how the remaining 3 medals are called in the text file.

I'm still trying to figure out the criteria for awarding the medals (both crew and player medals).

I got a Medal of Valor (Medal of Honor) for 51,000 and 62,000 tons and a Patrol Star (in the text file as Bronze Star and not Silver Star as it should be) for a 16,000 tons patrol.

letterboy1
03-28-07, 06:15 AM
If there is a file in there that has the real medals but isn't being used, is the fake file part of the copy protection scheme?

Beery
03-28-07, 08:02 AM
Since it was extremely unlikely for a crewman to get a medal of honor, instead of looking to see if you can change the rate at which this medal was awarded, why not just make it so that the lowest-level award is given when the game wants to award a crewman the medal of honor? In other words, turn the crew's medal of honor into a good conduct medal or something.

Tieg
03-28-07, 11:25 AM
This may have to be an idea for a separate mod but it was custom for each crewmember after coming back from a patrol in which the sub sank a ship to recieve a combat pin like this:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2865/combatpatrolinsigniahj3.jpg

(credit to clayton whose sig I copied for the above image ;))

Then for each patrol after that in which they sank a ship they got a star. Now it would be a pain I imagine to give stars out to each crewmember but how about giving a combat pin out? Doable?

Opinions?

RDDR
03-28-07, 12:05 PM
If you need photos of two of the real ones I have a digital camera, plus a Bronze Star with V Divice on the ribbon (Thats important as it was awarded for combat).Without the V Device it is presented for meritorious bla,bla,bla, and a Purple Heart I can photgraph for you and post.It might be more helpful than getting a painting from a book.

RDDR
03-28-07, 12:58 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/RDDR/BronzeStarwVDevice.jpg

RDDR
03-28-07, 01:46 PM
The bronze V device should be right in the middle of the ribben.This medal is over 30 years old and the ribben is starting to thread.Thats why it's a little off centre.
If it says a crewman was elegible to receive one, it would be given to him along with this type presentation box.I beleive the boxes in WW2 and Korea were still as this one is, which is Vietnam era.
Hope this helps .

LukeFF
03-28-07, 02:05 PM
If you need photos of two of the real ones I have a digital camera, plus a Bronze Star with V Divice on the ribbon (Thats important as it was awarded for combat).Without the V Device it is presented for meritorious bla,bla,bla, and a Purple Heart I can photgraph for you and post.It might be more helpful than getting a painting from a book.

We don't need photos of the medals, as they are in the game but not active by default. Once the crew medal insignia is fixed (which it looks like it has), then the next issue is sorting out the award points for each of them.

RDDR
03-28-07, 03:17 PM
Luke I went back and looked at all the medals "IN THE GAME".
My issue was that both Bronze and Silver Stars are missing the V Device and that is incorrect.This bunch did not even get this one right.
It's not a small issue and has never been overlooked by the US Armed Services like it has by the Dev team in Rumania.You can sit around and try to calculate how many points it takes to buy Park Place,however if you are attempting to fix this as accurately as possible then give the sailor what he almost lost his life earning :hmm:
Sorry,you 'll have to forgive me, after all this is not the real deal.It's just a game.

Perhaps I'm just a little too sensitive to the thought of some kid in Bucharest sitting in front of a computer screen saying "Hey,that looks good".
Dig it?

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 04:43 PM
i guess I could add the combat "v" for valor. I am definatly not finding the file to change the awarding point system, i've only completed 3 patrols 1 was 75,000 tons and was awarded the navy cross no crew medals, 2nd was 27,000 tons awarded bronze star two purple hearts given to crew, third was 12,000 tons awarded silver star no crew medals given.

Ansirial
03-28-07, 04:47 PM
Hi I'm new from here, I'm very interested about medals (for any game). So I've done researches in SH4 (following the clues of Lukemb) and I see that the correct order in the Menu.txt should be:

5150=Medals
5151=Purple Heart
5152=Bronze Star
5153=Silver Star
5154=Navy Cross
5155=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5156=Congressional Medal of Honor

in that manner the assegnation criteria will be right;

I've done test with patrols and reading *.upc files (pay attention, the name conventions for the captain upc file is different from the one of the crew); the right manner is follow the crew convention (ignoring the shape and the name of the fake medals)

So, to complete the work in the best manner, is only needed to edit the menu.txt as I write above and reorder medals for captain and (reordering of course) redraw the thumbs for the crew.

Hope this is usefull,

Sailor Steve
03-28-07, 04:58 PM
Welcome aboard, Ansirial. That's a great start!

RDDR
03-28-07, 05:06 PM
FullMetalEdges,

If it's possible please try as that is what is correct.The V Device is for valor in the field of combat.

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 05:15 PM
concerning the Navy distuinguised service medal it would seem that we don't want it awarded to the crew or the captain for that matter

The Navy Distinguished Service Medal was originally senior to the Navy Cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross), until August 1943 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943) when the precedence of the two decorations was reversed.
The Navy Distinguished Service Medal is bestowed upon members of the Navy or Marine Corps who distinguish themselves by exceptionally meritorious service to the United States government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_government) in a duty of great responsibility.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Distinguished_Service_Medal#_note-USCode) The term “great responsibility” implies senior military responsibility, and the decoration is normally only bestowed to senior Navy Flag and Marine Corps General Officers. The decoration is rarely awarded to enlisted personnel, and then only to those who hold extremely senior enlisted positions such as the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Chief_Petty_Officer_of_the_Navy).

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 06:43 PM
Here is what is in the manual, if I make them in this order and change the menu.txt file maybe it will fix the way it awards them. who knows why they didn't use the real medals but also i wonder why they messed up the order of the fake ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/nailbomb/medal-1.jpg

Tigrone
03-28-07, 09:07 PM
Yes, these numbers are just location markers for the award order code in the game to locate them. They are not the controlling file. We need to find the control/awarding file. The ones shown on manual page 79 do look to be in the correct order.

5150=Medals
5151=Purple Heart
5152=Bronze Star
5153=Silver Star
5154=Navy Cross
5155=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5156=Congressional Medal of Honor

Fullmetaledges,
You are exactly correct about the Distinguished Service Medal, but I would'nt worry too much about it. Also, I would not use V or other devices--it just makes it more complex, and is not exactly correct either. The medals cannot be exactly and realistically awarded. That is impossible. This is a game with it's own logical world. The medals can be used to gave a reasonable ladder of merit for us that reflects each medals importance. You can pick from this list, but I would make the best use of what's already in the game and not fret the details, like clasps.

WW2 precedence 1943 on:

Medal of Honor - #1 top level award
Navy Cross - #2 award
Distinguished Service Medal - Not historical for crew, but #3 in precedence.
Silver Star - #4 in precedence, this medal is always for Gallantry--No V device
Legion of Merit - #5 in precedence, would actually be awarded to good skippers
Bronze Star - #6 in precedence, usually for Merit occaisionally w/V for Valor.
Navy Commendation Medal - #7 in precedence occaisionally w/V for Valor
Purple Heart - #8 in precedence, game cannot use as wound medal only.
Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal - #9 in precedence

There are others along the way, such as the Navy & Marine Corps Medal, which President Kennedy won in WW2. It's for saving lives at the risk of one's own and not specifically for combat. It would come after the Legion of Merit and before the Bronze Star. The Purple Heart was upgraded in the 1990's and now comes before commendations. There, I got that out. I do apologize.

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 09:11 PM
if we have a bunch of people looking for the file that controls the awarding it will be found that much quicker. get to searching men!

Onkel Neal
03-28-07, 09:15 PM
Luke I went back and looked at all the medals "IN THE GAME".
My issue was that both Bronze and Silver Stars are missing the V Device and that is incorrect.This bunch did not even get this one right.
It's not a small issue and has never been overlooked by the US Armed Services like it has by the Dev team in Rumania.You can sit around and try to calculate how many points it takes to buy Park Place,however if you are attempting to fix this as accurately as possible then give the sailor what he almost lost his life earning :hmm:
Sorry,you 'll have to forgive me, after all this is not the real deal.It's just a game.

Perhaps I'm just a little too sensitive to the thought of some kid in Bucharest sitting in front of a computer screen saying "Hey,that looks good".
Dig it?

I think you are.

Beery
03-28-07, 09:38 PM
WW2 precedence 1943 on:

Navy Cross - #2 award

When we find the file that governs how the medals are awarded I'm going to make it impossible to get the purple heart when running an RFB campaign. If it's being awarded for successful patrols and not for wounds I think that's a big problem in terms of realism. Also, the DSM shouldn't be awarded to crew, so I think I'm going to pitch it. Submarine crews ought to be rewarded with the same medals that were available to them in real life and at the same rate. Ten Medals of Honor in one patrol should never happen. Heck, I think one per campaign should be rare.

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 09:43 PM
WW2 precedence 1943 on:

Navy Cross - #2 award

When we find the file that governs how the medals are awarded I'm going to make it impossible to get the purple heart when running an RFB campaign. If it's being awarded for successful patrols and not for wounds I think that's a big problem in terms of realism. Also, the DSM shouldn't be awarded to crew, so I think I'm going to pitch it. Submarine crews ought to be rewarded with the same medals that were available to them in real life and at the same rate. Ten Medals of Honor in one patrol should never happen. Heck, I think one per campaign should be rare.
yes no doubt, in sh3 if would only award your crew the wound badge of whatever it was if one of them was wounded and even then you could only award it to the man who was wounded, i think the best case is to hope the we can do the same in sh4 and if not just make the requirements for rediculous that you would never get it. Yes the DSM from what I read was only awarded to admirals and generals. I'm hoping that file will pop out soon because I'm sick of looking for it haha take a look at \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Cfg\medals.cfg I guess that would be it but i can't make any sense on it.

nimitstexan
03-28-07, 09:54 PM
WW2 precedence 1943 on:

Navy Cross - #2 award

yes no doubt, in sh3 if would only award your crew the wound badge of whatever it was if one of them was wounded and even then you could only award it to the man who was wounded, i think the best case is to hope the we can do the same in sh4 and if not just make the requirements for rediculous that you would never get it. Yes the DSM from what I read was only awarded to admirals and generals. I'm hoping that file will pop out soon because I'm sick of looking for it haha take a look at \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Cfg\medals.cfg I guess that would be it but i can't make any sense on it.

What file controlled this for SH3?

fullmetaledges
03-28-07, 10:00 PM
i dunno I never did anything in sh3 maybe someone else knows

this is in the sh4 basic file but the whole file is full of u boat stuff

[PLAYER_RENOWN]
AcademyBonus=1000
RankLevel0=0; SCORE
RankLevel1=5000; SCORE
RankLevel2=15000; SCORE
RankLevel3=25000; SCORE
MedalSettings0=0.25
MedalSettings1=0.5
MedalSettings2=1
MedalScore0=3000;2 class, SCORE
MedalScore1=6000;1 class, SCORE
MedalScore2=10000; knight, SCORE
MedalScore3=15000; oak leaves, SCORE
MedalScore4=20000;swords, SCORE
MedalScore5=25000;diamonds, SCORE
MedalScore6=30000;all, SCORE

Tigrone
03-28-07, 10:06 PM
That file you have there is the controlling awards file for SH3. It is very easy to edit. It is not used in SH4, here it's just a legacy file, but I think some code lines may be used. Unfortunately, not the medal lines.

SH2 always gave away too many medals, and I always set the award levels much higher, so I did not get every medal the first year. I upped the Diamonds, so I would never get it.

GSpector
03-28-07, 11:42 PM
I hope this information helps in determining Precedence and reasons for awarding such Awards:

[1] Medal of Honor
A. Authorization. 10 U.S.C. S6241.

b. Eligibility Requirements:
(1) Awarded by the President, in the name of Congress, to members of the Naval service who conspicuously distinguish themselves by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of their lives above and beyond the call of duty.

(a) While engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;

(b) While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or

(c) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

(2) There must be no margin of doubt or possibility of error in awarding this honor. To justify the decoration, the individuals service must clearly be rendered conspicuous above his or her comrades by an act so outstanding that it clearly distinguishes his or her gallantry beyond the call of duty from lesser forms of bravery; and it must be the type of deed which if not done would not subject the individual to any justified criticism. The deed must be without detriment to the mission of the command or to the command to which attached.
----------------------------------------------------

[2]* Navy Cross
a. Authorization. 10 U.S.C. S6242.

(1) Awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Navy or Marine Corps, distinguish themselves by extraordinary heroism, not justifying the award of the Medal of Honor.

(b) While engaged in military operations. Involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or

(c) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force, in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

(2) To warrant this distinctive decoration, the act or execution of duty must be performed in the presence of great danger, or at great personal risk, and must be performed in such a manner as to set individuals apart from their shipmates or fellow Marines. An accumulation of minor acts of heroism normally does not justify the award. The high standards demanded must be borne in mind when recommending the award.

[3]* Distinguished Service Medal
a. Authorization. 10 U.S.C. S6243.

Awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Navy or Marine Corps, distinguish themselves by exceptionally meritorious service to the United States, in a duty of great responsibility. To justify this decoration, exceptional performance of duty, clearly above that normally expected, which has contributed materially to the success of a major command or project, is required. In general, the Distinguished Service Medal will be awarded only to those officers in principal commands at sea, or in the field, whose service is such as to justify the award. However, this shall not be interpreted to preclude the award of the Distinguished Service Medal to any individual whose service meets the requirements. If there is any doubt as to the degree of service involved, the Legion of Merit is the more appropriate award.

[4] Silver Star Medal
a. Authorization. 10 U.S.C. S6244.

(1) Awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the Navy or Marine Corps, is cited for gallantry in action that does not warrant a Medal of Honor or Navy Cross.

(b) While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or

(c) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

(2) The heroic act(s) performed must render the individual conspicuous and well above the standard expected. An accumulation of minor acts of heroism normally does not justify the award, but unusual or exceptional cases will be decided on their merits.

[8] Bronze Star Medal
a. Authorization. E.O. 9419 of 4 February 1944, as amended by E.O. 11046 of 24 August 1962 and 10 U.S.C. S1133.

(1) Awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguish themselves, on or after 7 December 1941, by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, under the following circumstances:

(2) The Bronze Star Medal may only be awarded to members of the Armed Forces who are in receipt of Imminent Danger Pay at the time of the actions or service for which they are being recognized. To merit this award, the acts or services must be performed in a manner significantly above that normally expected, and sufficient to distinguish the individual above those performing similar acts or services. The award may be authorized as follows:

(a) Heroic Achievement or Service.
A single act of heroism worthy of special recognition, although not to the degree required for the Silver Star Medal, or several minor acts of heroism. An award for Heroic Service may cover an extended period of time; such award does not preclude receipt of an additional award for a specific act within that period, if warranted.

(b) Meritorious Achievement or Service in Connection with Combat Operations. A single achievement or a period of service worthy of special recognition, although not to the degree required for the Legion of Merit. An award for Meritorious Service may cover an extended period of time; such award does not preclude receipt of an additional award for a specific act within that period, if warranted.

(c) Combat Distinguishing Device. The Combat Distinguishing Device may be authorized for this award.

[8] Bronze Star Medal
a. Authorization. E.O. 9419 of 4 February 1944, as amended by E.O. 11046 of 24 August 1962 and 10 U.S.C. S1133.

(1) Awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguish themselves, on or after 7 December 1941, by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, under the following circumstances:

(2) The Bronze Star Medal may only be awarded to members of the Armed Forces who are in receipt of Imminent Danger Pay at the time of the actions or service for which they are being recognized. To merit this award, the acts or services must be performed in a manner significantly above that normally expected, and sufficient to distinguish the individual above those performing similar acts or services. The award may be authorized as follows:

(a) Heroic Achievement or Service. A single act of heroism worthy of special recognition, although not to the degree required for the
Silver Star Medal, or several minor acts of heroism. An award for Heroic Service may cover an extended period of time; such award does not preclude receipt of an additional award for a specific act within that period, if warranted.

(b) Meritorious Achievement or Service in Connection with Combat Operations. A single achievement or a period of service worthy of special recognition, although not to the degree required for the Legion of Merit. An award for Meritorious Service may cover an extended period of time; such award does not preclude receipt of an additional award for a specific act within that period, if warranted.

(c) Combat Distinguishing Device. The Combat Distinguishing Device may be authorized for this award.

* Note: Both the Navy Cross and Distinguished Service Medal were both switched in precedence prior to 1943.

nimitstexan
03-29-07, 01:16 AM
So if alot of the various files for controlling things like medals in the SH4 are in fact just legacy from SH3 (which at least half the stuff in the data\Cfg folder appears to be), what the heck is being used to control these things? And why were all these legacy files left in the game folder?

Beery
03-29-07, 01:49 AM
take a look at \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Cfg\medals.cfg I guess that would be it but i can't make any sense on it.

I doubt that's it. That file was in SH3 too but we never needed to touch it.

What file controlled this for SH3?

SH3\data\Cfg\Basic.cfg

Beery
03-29-07, 01:53 AM
So if alot of the various files for controlling things like medals in the SH4 are in fact just legacy from SH3 (which at least half the stuff in the data\Cfg folder appears to be), what the heck is being used to control these things? And why were all these legacy files left in the game folder?

My guess is they started with SH3 (a modded version, since some modded stuff seems to be in there) and they just started working from that. When they were done they just never cleaned up the leftover stuff.

nimitstexan
03-29-07, 02:11 AM
Maybe.

I am actually curious if the files controlling medal distribution are actually "exposed" at all; is it possible that they are still embedded in some encrypted file? So many of the files in the SH4 folder are obviously legacy from SH3, and some do not seem to have an SH4 counterpart readily visible, it does lead me to wonder if some things can be modded at the moment.

Ansirial
03-29-07, 02:26 AM
Just a note... the first medal, the one should be used for the purple heart, is awarded only in case somebody is wounded - as for sh3.

Lukemb
03-29-07, 02:49 AM
I've been looking for the crew/player medals controlling files for a few days now but with no luck.

I'll keep trying, hopefully one of us will find them (sooner or later).

The only thing I can do is to manually change the medals for my current character or for each crew member (editing the savedgames text file) - and that's not the solution.

fullmetaledges
03-29-07, 03:21 AM
with all of us looking it's bound to be found sooner or not at all haha, if we don't find it by friday i will release the crew medals and hopefully find that file later

nimitstexan
03-29-07, 01:02 PM
Assuming this elusive secret is not discovered soon, would it be possible to simply rearange the order of the current medals ans graphics, so that the game thinks it is assigning the "Medal of Valor," but the player will see it as the Bronze Star (or whatever).

Beery
03-29-07, 02:36 PM
Assuming this elusive secret is not discovered soon, would it be possible to simply rearange the order of the current medals ans graphics, so that the game thinks it is assigning the "Medal of Valor," but the player will see it as the Bronze Star (or whatever).

Yeah, that's what I'd do if it was me. Sometimes the less elegant but equally effective methods save a lot of time.

Tigrone
03-29-07, 03:15 PM
I found out today that deleting a .dds file and placing instead the same image but in tga format (Be careful to keep the alpha channels) works with no problem. Apparently the game defaults to tga if no dds with the same name is found. This is HUGELY practical, as it allows a much faster correction/tweak/modification of the files with no need to continuously converting to dds and back before testing.

Just in case you've not seen Hitman's post yet.

fullmetaledges
03-29-07, 03:38 PM
i got that .dds plugin for photoshop so now it's no problem

Onkel Neal
03-29-07, 09:25 PM
What's the status on this? Is the fix complete? I really like the idea of using accurate medals in the game, thanks for all your work and efforts :up:

Neal

fullmetaledges
03-29-07, 09:54 PM
"soon"

tonight or tomarrow

E.Hartmann
03-29-07, 10:13 PM
I have a bunch of US medals done up for Pacific Fighters that may be of use. I'm getting my webmaster to send them to me as the link is now longer up. I'll post them here for you to use.

Onkel Neal
03-29-07, 11:18 PM
"soon"

tonight or tomarrow

Awesome, thanks:up: