PDA

View Full Version : Can Modders really fix this game??

simsurfer
03-26-07, 05:07 PM
I am on vacation at the moment in sunny South West Floida at the moment although lucky for me I brought my laptop and have internet but dont have the game and havent played it yet either. I keep reading on the forums about how this doesnt work and how that doesnt work and am wondering this:

If Ubi Soft doesnt make all what is not working working with patches, can the wonderfull Modders that we are lucky to have here at Subsim.com fix this game the way it Should be without the SDK? SHIII wasnt this bad when the game was released I dont think and yes they did do an outstanding job without the SDK but again, the game I dont think was as bad and as buggy as what I am reading about here.

So what do the Modders think? Do you all think you can get this game on par with SHIII w/ GWX without the SDK?? I really really really want this game to be great and am sort of looking forward to getting back and playing it :-)

PeriscopeDepth
03-26-07, 05:10 PM
I think they'll be able to tell you after a few patches. In its current state, definitely not.

PD

wetwarev7
03-26-07, 05:24 PM
I am on vacation at the moment in sunny South West Floida at the moment although lucky for me I brought my laptop and have internet but dont have the game and havent played it yet either. I keep reading on the forums about how this doesnt work and how that doesnt work and am wondering this:

I'll tell you this: I was a bit nervous about buying it from reading all the negative posts, but when I actually bought it, installed it, and played it, I realized most of the negativity was due to people either not understanding how the game works, or misunderstanding some of the artistic choices the devs made. Like complaining about the 'grainy' graphics.

Having enjoyed SH3 for a long time, I liked SH4 right from the start.

Yes, there are bugs. For the most part, modders can't fix the bugs, you gotta wait for the patch for that. The only bug that really bugs me(heh) is about once a day it crashes to desktop, cause I forgot not to press the 'maintain depth' button.

Games get made for the money, so they are made based on gameplay parameters. Most of the tweaking the modders do are to change certain parameters to how THEY want to play it. Or to replace textures or models to look like how THEY want it. So, the batteries running low too soon doesn't mean it's broken, it just means that's what they(the devs) decided on at the time. Then the modders come in, and (around here at least) try to make it much more realistic. Which is cool, cause I like to play it that way too. :up:

FAdmiral
03-26-07, 06:41 PM
Give it 3 months !! You won't think you are playing the same game...

JIM

9th_cow
03-26-07, 06:45 PM
well i already have a more beleivable diving depth, a less infuriating watch, and a kick ass skin on my Gato.
thats how many days after its release ?

it will be like SHIII in the end. utterly unrecognizable.

thankfully many of the missing things in SHIII are already in here allowing the modders to work on other things rather than messing about with shipping lanes etc.

simsurfer
03-26-07, 08:37 PM
Ok, cool you have relieved my fear and I can now relax and enjoy my vacation as I sit here and look forward to playing the game :lol:

nvdrifter
03-26-07, 09:10 PM
Can modders fix the game in it's current state? Absolutely not. The problems are mostly hard-coded. If and when it is patched correctly, it will hopefully be a great game. But as of now, it's just too buggy and unfinished to even bother with. If all of the major problems are not fixed with patches, then we are in big trouble. Modders can't fix most of the major bugs or missing features because they are most likely hard-coded. For now, I'm going to stop modding SH4 until they release a few more patches. I don't want to put a lot of time into making mods because we don't even know if they will fix it right. And I just don't feel like redoing my mods each time a new patch comes out.

Hartmann
03-26-07, 10:16 PM
Can modders fix the game in it's current state? Absolutely not. The problems are mostly hard-coded. If and when it is patched correctly, it will hopefully be a great game. But as of now, it's just too buggy and unfinished to even bother with. If all of the major problems are not fixed with patches, then we are in big trouble. Modders can't fix most of the major bugs or missing features because they are most likely hard-coded. For now, I'm going to stop modding SH4 until they release a few more patches. I don't want to put a lot of time into making mods because we don't even know if they will fix it right. And I just don't feel like redoing my mods each time a new patch comes out.

Absolutely agree with nvdrifter

modding can fix some things but have a limit with hardcoded things.

Ducimus
03-26-07, 10:27 PM
Personnally im confident that alot can be fixed. But certainly not everything.

CCIP
03-26-07, 11:59 PM
Let's put it this way, as long as the features that are there work as they're supposed to, I'll be quite happy.

I'm not worried about the fate of SHIV to be honest; SHIII was released in a worse state and now you have people running around bowing at the first mention of the acronym GWX :p

A lot of what the modders are doing are basically workarounds. That's actually what they always did, but right now these are the more desperate workarounds to attempt to get around broken functions in the game and recover some features that almost work.

This is the first key stage of modding and SHIII, and many other games, have been through it. I don't think SHIV has it any worse than other games. In fact I think it has it much better than, say, the last two Total War games as originally released, or the touted mod utopia of Falcon 4.

So give it time. I think 3 months is a reasonable timeline for a couple more patches to complete the damage control. Personally, I'm going to tinker the game little by little, without committing myself to any major effort, just enough to improve my own enjoyment of it. I have a sneaking suspicion the modders that are currently tweaking with it are doing it for the very same reason. :hmm:

Waterboy
03-27-07, 12:33 AM
Falcon 4....I blame alot of that mess on the parent company. It would have never been modded the way it was without the source code being leaked.

I've been enjoying SHIV, but I think they should have kept it in the hopper for another month or two before releasing it. Obviously they knew of some of the bugs since the patch was released on release day, but others....you have to wonder why they were not seen by the Devs or Ubi.

I think it will be alright. The devs seem to be responsive to the community, and I thought they were great with the SHIII situation. However, I think Ubi only pays for so many patches to be released.

Plus, this community works wonders with mods.....:up:

Da_Junka
03-27-07, 12:42 AM
So the message is to all potential buyers is, WAIT until you can buy it on budget, not only will you save a bundle of cash but the game should then be playable. :88)

PeriscopeDepth
03-27-07, 12:45 AM
I'm sure the devs knew it wasn't ready for release. And I'm sure they told Ubi that. And I'm sure Ubi said too bad, we'll see how it sells first before we dump more money into a PC naval simulation. All the blame the devs get is uncalled for IMO, they don't decide when to release or what features to concentrate on. Realize that the devs are Ubi employees, and for them to spend a single hour working on anything they need Ubi to approve that and pay them for it. And as you may have noticed over the past couple of years, Ubi is kind of sheisty when it comes to the Silent Hunter franchise. I have a lot of respect for the Silent Hunter devs, as they have worked wonders in what I am sure is not the easiest of environments for them.

PD