PDA

View Full Version : SH 4 - Annoyances

Werewolf13
03-25-07, 07:41 PM
Manual: :damn: We won't even go there. :down:

Nav Map - Tool Helper - huh? Does nothing. Can't link range circles to units (the manual says you can but doesn't tell you how). Can't center on own sub with a hot key or mouse click (if so how?)

<A> key to maintain depth - crash city.

Chronometer doesn't work to help calculate speed when doing manual data entry to TDC.

3AM in the morning and it's daylight off the coast of Japan - really? Is that 3AM GMT - if so why doesn't the manual say so.

Officer uniforms - look like NAZI's. Hell if the art guys could just get the HAT right that would help. At least they got the enlisted uniforms right. The Officer who is titled helmsman looks positively crazed - like an enraged paranoid schizophrenic. Oh and since when are officers HELMSMEN! When I was in the navy serving on USS Sandlance SSN-660 our helmsmen were E-3 to E-5 - not Officers!

Right click in control room and you end up somewhere else.

Get notice of radar contacts and the sub doesn't even have any RADARS! AND yes these are radar contacts from the boat and not messages from radio.

Sub gets sunk in 10,000 feet of water and goes down with all hands! Game ends and you get a message saying you'll get courtmartialed after the war and will have to sit it out until it's over. HUH? The NAVY courtmartial's dead guys and gives 'em a desk job? Maybe in the FRENCH navy they do that.

The medals you can win - where'd they get those from? How hard would it have been to use authentic US Military Awards?

Damage control team - huh? Gotta take 'em off of somewhere else. The manual implies they'll go back to their regular assignments when not on the team but they don't or I don't know how to make 'em short of manually putting them back.

I'm so frustrated as hell with SH4 right now I can't even think straight enough to list the numerous other bugs and annoyances in the thing.

And a patch available the very first day it hits the stores - at this point I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Argghghghgg - I really, really hope that UBI fixes this thing. Starforce on SH3 and now this abomination - are they trying to drive away paying customers? :roll:

DaMaGe007
03-25-07, 07:43 PM
Tool helper changes the ruler to have a full protractor around it, its like a switch to change it.

Arrowhead2k1
03-25-07, 07:48 PM
Here's another one.

Equiped with Air Search radar, and I assume I'm getting feedback about contacts from the RA, but where the heck is the scope for this radar so I can see it for myself? How can I turn it off? It makes no sense! :damn:

Oh and psychic watch officers who call out ships while I'm submerged with pericopes down... :rolleyes:

I can't wait until the beta test is over, because this might be a good game.

Iron Budokan
03-25-07, 08:47 PM
I'm afraid our modders have a lot of work to do to get this game up to speed. But I have faith in those guys...I know they'll come through for us. :up:

SeeFalke
03-26-07, 02:45 PM
I'm glad someone posted this and it wasn't just me seeing all these problems and what appears to be an absoulte unfinished product. This game has HUGE amounts of potential, however, one big problem that also needs to be fixed is the 5 patrol limit. Yeah it may have happened in the history of the war, but who wants to end a campaign after only 4 patrols? I know I don't. I would love to see the war completely through.

1mPHUNit0
03-26-07, 02:50 PM
And 4o 45 m deep the sub blow up
everytime

elanaiba
03-26-07, 02:52 PM
There is no 5 patrols hard limit, though at some point - you'll get assigned to a desk job and you'll need to use renown just to stay in combat.

Just make the best of the time given to you.

Fat Bhoy Tim
03-26-07, 02:58 PM
There is no 5 patrols hard limit, though at some point - you'll get assigned to a desk job and you'll need to use renown just to stay in combat.

Just make the best of the time given to you.

There's a method to buy yourself continuing in combat by using renown?

elanaiba
03-26-07, 03:02 PM
If you are providing consistently good performance, the game should ask you about it.

Fat Bhoy Tim
03-26-07, 03:06 PM
If you are providing consistently good performance, the game should ask you about it.

I've only seen a friends copy myself, I'm waiting for my DE version to be brought back from the UK. 3 weeks to wait :doh:

oritpro
03-26-07, 04:27 PM
I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way, this is one half-baked piece of software. Compared ot SH3, SH4 is a real disapointment and I am suprised to see some of the same bugs in both; especially the one where you can submerge will the crew still on deck.

I almost got lucky and didn't get a copy of SH4. Everybody had sold out around here except Gamestop. After calling to verify they had it in stock the guy said he had one copy left so I beat feet down there to pick it up only after I got there he couldn't find it!

So, just as I am leaving the store he finds it buried under the counter!

Damn.

What turned out to be an unlucky day, then a lucky day, turned out to be an unlucky day after all--I now wish that they DIDN'T have the game!

The thing is that after a game is released the devs are given only so much time to fix the bugs and unfortunately this game has so many problems that I highly doubt it will ever be a worthy successor to SH3.

I hope I am wrong.

Manual: :damn: We won't even go there. :down:

Nav Map - Tool Helper - huh? Does nothing. Can't link range circles to units (the manual says you can but doesn't tell you how). Can't center on own sub with a hot key or mouse click (if so how?)

<A> key to maintain depth - crash city.

Chronometer doesn't work to help calculate speed when doing manual data entry to TDC.

3AM in the morning and it's daylight off the coast of Japan - really? Is that 3AM GMT - if so why doesn't the manual say so.

Officer uniforms - look like NAZI's. Hell if the art guys could just get the HAT right that would help. At least they got the enlisted uniforms right. The Officer who is titled helmsman looks positively crazed - like an enraged paranoid schizophrenic. Oh and since when are officers HELMSMEN! When I was in the navy serving on USS Sandlance SSN-660 our helmsmen were E-3 to E-5 - not Officers!

Right click in control room and you end up somewhere else.

Get notice of radar contacts and the sub doesn't even have any RADARS! AND yes these are radar contacts from the boat and not messages from radio.

Sub gets sunk in 10,000 feet of water and goes down with all hands! Game ends and you get a message saying you'll get courtmartialed after the war and will have to sit it out until it's over. HUH? The NAVY courtmartial's dead guys and gives 'em a desk job? Maybe in the FRENCH navy they do that.

The medals you can win - where'd they get those from? How hard would it have been to use authentic US Military Awards?

Damage control team - huh? Gotta take 'em off of somewhere else. The manual implies they'll go back to their regular assignments when not on the team but they don't or I don't know how to make 'em short of manually putting them back.

I'm so frustrated as hell with SH4 right now I can't even think straight enough to list the numerous other bugs and annoyances in the thing.

And a patch available the very first day it hits the stores - at this point I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Argghghghgg - I really, really hope that UBI fixes this thing. Starforce on SH3 and now this abomination - are they trying to drive away paying customers? :roll: