PDA

View Full Version : Has the stadimeter CTD been isolated yet?

Liszt_
03-25-07, 06:45 PM
Has it? Just tried to do a patrol career once again and this time I actually ran into a merchant in the smoothest seas possible at dusk.

Had the ship identified and as soon as I went to stad (periscope) I crashed to the desktop. VERY annoying considering the 20-30mins spent just getting the location :x

So does anyone know how it exactly happens yet or is it general? isolated to the Porpoise?

akdavis
03-26-07, 10:36 AM
I had it occur in an S-18 class during a night surface approach with the TBT.

mookiemookie
03-26-07, 10:40 AM
FWIW, I had it occur before the 1.1 patch, but not since.

NefariousKoel
03-26-07, 10:47 AM
I have never had it happen in Periscope view before or after the patch.

However, after the patch I've had it happen in the TBT view while "No Stabilize View" option was checked. After unchecking the option, it hasn't CTD'd me in the TBT, even though I rarely use the Stadimeter in TBT.

Arrowhead2k1
03-26-07, 10:57 AM
Yeah, CTDs for me pretty much all the time in Career mode. For now, I'll just use the sonar ping to get a range.

Flakchak
03-26-07, 11:23 AM
Sorry guys, but I'm gonna be a wet blanket here.

I've been playing SH4 all weekend. Both sub school and the career. On hard settings, and I have not had a CTD from using the stadimeter.

Actually, I haven't had one CTD yet.

ETA: Since I'm using the hard settings for the career, I believe the "No Stabilize View" is checked. But I am also running in 1280x1024.

NefariousKoel
03-26-07, 11:29 AM
Sorry guys, but I'm gonna be a wet blanket here.

I've been playing SH4 all weekend. Both sub school and the career. On hard settings, and I have not had a CTD from using the stadimeter.

Actually, I haven't had one CTD yet.

Yeah, the only one I had was using Stad in an unstabilized TBT. I guess all that motion along with the double image Stadimeter probably isn't a good idea anyway. I probably opened a a gate to hell or something.

What Video Cards & Driver versions are you guys with the crashes using?

Liszt_
03-26-07, 11:29 AM
I think I've been able to isolate it a little...

From what I can tell now it only happens usually now under the following conditions:

1 - No Stabilize View checked (always checked for me since I want realism 100%)

2 - Using a resolution greater than 1024x768. I had switched to 1280x1024 for awhile and that is when my stadimeter crashes started occuring.

After re-reading the message from the developers posted in this forum I paid particular attention to the mention of "crashes at higher resolutions."

This made me downgrade back to 1024x768 and I haven't had the stadimeter CTD yet.

Mind you I only played one more patrol after this post after downgrading and only ran into two ships without a crash.

NefariousKoel
03-26-07, 11:53 AM

From what I can tell now it only happens usually now under the following conditions:

2 - Using a resolution greater than 1024x768. I had switched to 1280x1024 for awhile and that is when my stadimeter crashes started occuring.

After re-reading the message from the developers posted in this forum I paid particular attention to the mention of "crashes at higher resolutions."

This made me downgrade back to 1024x768 and I haven't had the stadimeter CTD yet.

Mind you I only played one more patrol after this post after downgrading and only ran into two ships without a crash.

Well done!

akdavis
03-26-07, 12:00 PM

So you can use unstabilized image as long as you have the resolution set to 1024x768? That sucks, cuz I get better framerates running at 1600x1200, due to some wonkiness involving synchronization and refresh rates. First stadimeter crash I had (listed above) was when I switched from 1280x960 to 1600x1200. No problems before that (but I had only used it in the training missions, not in campaign).

CaptCrashDive
03-26-07, 12:30 PM
CTD With the Stadameter has been fixed for me. Just make sure you have light rays checked. That fixed it for me, 5 plus hours no CTD.

akdavis
03-26-07, 01:05 PM
I have light rays checked. That is not a fix. I played for several days without a CTD before the one above was encountered. Anyways, light rays is an effect that only appears below the surface of the water and should not have any bearing on this issue.

Ultraboy
03-26-07, 04:43 PM
I hate to say it, but I just had the stadimeter CTD with the periscope while running at 1024x768. So it can indeed happen at that resolution. :down:

I run at 100% realism so "no stabilize view" was checked, and I have light rays on.

nattydread
03-28-07, 08:27 PM

I just had my first Stadimeter CTD after 3 days of playing(about 8-10hrs of gameplay atleast) and Im using 1024x768. Im also on a Career at 100% Realism with unstabilized TBT.

The crash happened has I as ranging a DD I had just got an ID on.

AMD64 3400 or 3800+(i forget)
WinXP Pro
ATI Radeon x1650 512mb (Cat 7.2)
1 GB Ram
SBLive! X-Gamer

Schultzy
03-28-07, 08:59 PM
The only time i've ever suffered the CTD was when I didn't close my recognition book before I clicked the stad button.

Other than that, i've never had a problem. I run at 100% realism so the unstabilised TBT etc.

Athlon 64 3400
1 gig
Geforce 6600

so 1024 res and all options off, except the ship mapping one.

Don't know if that helps or not, but I thought i'd report it. :)

NefariousKoel
03-28-07, 09:16 PM
I just had my second Stadimeter CTD.

This time I was using the periscope on a moonless night at back slow against a Large Old Split Freighter from AoB ~30 Port side. Rec Manual was not open. Running at 1280x1024, post processing off. Other settings max'd. Happened as soon as I hit the Stad button. :cry:

NefariousKoel
03-28-07, 10:37 PM
I'm beginning to believe the CTD is caused by certain AI ship route in Career.

I just had my second CTD tonight whereas I've been playing for almost a week and only had 1 before. The thing is... this second CTD in a row was in the exact same spot as the last. I left port (my last save) and headed towards the exact same location at about the same time. Instead of seeing a single Large Old Split Freighter in the exact heading/ speed/ location, I discovered a Medium European Composite Freighter.

Once again, I'm in almost the same position but heading forward at PD 2/3ds ahead. As soon as I hit the Stadimeter button (once again) I get a CTD.

Certain AI ship spawns are bugged with the Stadimeter? My guess.

Cakewalk
03-29-07, 12:28 AM
Either that, or there's a Ghost in the machine. :-?

Hehe... your TDC becomes intelligent and tries to kill the crew by setting all the torpedoes to circle 'round. :arrgh!:

Seriously though, I've only had the CTD once, I believe recognition manual was open, and it was in heavy seas, at 92% realism (external camera on, max graphics).

nattydread
03-29-07, 12:54 AM
i just constantly save as I make contact.