PDA

View Full Version : Pilot rescue missions, AKA the great wild goose chase

AntEater
03-25-07, 05:57 PM
I got assigned a pilot rescue mission off Guadalcanal in August 1942. This isnt really historical, although the pilots there would have liked it. Apart from the fact that Honiara is the wrong name for it (and it has a fully developed japanese port) and there is no Tulagi, this is what happened. On 8th August, planes started coming to and fro, and contacts (auto update) started popping up on the map. I thought, well, a hell of a lot of pilots and went for them. Turned out that almost none of the contacts were actually downed pilots. I managed to spot about two friendly pilots, one of them mysteriously disappearing before I could rescue him. I pulled aboard the other. These hundreds of contacts led me on quite a wild goose chase and now I'm not sure at all wether they really have anything to do with downed pilots. The only way I actually did spot pilots (but only enemy!) was by going deep and using the hydrophone to look for stationary "merchant" contacts. How can a pilot make such a racket that you hear him at 100 feet across the entire Ironbottom Sound??? Ok, I had picked up one and had given up on the mission, went home and on the return trip, my bridge crew started dying. That was alt+F4 for me What experiences do other people have with pilot rescue missions?

malkuth74
03-25-07, 06:12 PM
I got assigned a pilot rescue mission off Guadalcanal in August 1942. This isnt really historical, although the pilots there would have liked it. Apart from the fact that Honiara is the wrong name for it (and it has a fully developed japanese port) and there is no Tulagi, this is what happened. On 8th August, planes started coming to and fro, and contacts (auto update) started popping up on the map. I thought, well, a hell of a lot of pilots and went for them. Turned out that almost none of the contacts were actually downed pilots. I managed to spot about two friendly pilots, one of them mysteriously disappearing before I could rescue him. I pulled aboard the other. These hundreds of contacts led me on quite a wild goose chase and now I'm not sure at all wether they really have anything to do with downed pilots. The only way I actually did spot pilots (but only enemy!) was by going deep and using the hydrophone to look for stationary "merchant" contacts. How can a pilot make such a racket that you hear him at 100 feet across the entire Ironbottom Sound??? Ok, I had picked up one and had given up on the mission, went home and on the return trip, my bridge crew started dying. That was alt+F4 for me What experiences do other people have with pilot rescue missions?

Don't forget to turn off battlestations or they will work to death.

JackChen
03-26-07, 05:48 AM
I heard the jap planes in this game operates with impunity. Some crew could have been strafed.

Anyway, battlestations produces not relief from fatigue.