PDA

View Full Version : my SH4 experience

MRV
03-25-07, 04:09 PM
After getting this subsim to run and fetching a little info about US subs, here I was, about to start my first career in the pacific. I've been there before, of course....back then my Boat was a IXD2........

after getting all the settings the right way I found myself in Manila. I started with an S-18 sub just to get used to that war......and because that type of sub looked oddly familiar to me.....

well, external view on and taking a look around......WOW...the whole place looked like a merging between cinematic and being on holydays. The new water with all its reflections and translucency is just great. Besides all the people and trucks in the harbour there are some tankers, T3's, the type I've sunk lots of times before in the Atlantic. All the ships finally look like made of STEEL, not plastic models.

Went to the navigation map.....WHERE IS MY PLOTTING TOOL???? Ah, its not a map tool anymore, its an "order" in the stations menu below.....ok......after a few minutes my sub sailed away from the docks. The new 3d-waves made it look in external like a real-life view from a plane or something.

And we're out....cruising around in the south china sea. COMSUBPAC told me there is an invasion of borneo going on, and well....with all the contact reports the vicinity is soon crawling with task forces....you have to get used to this! In SH3, I was happy to have ONE Battleship in a year or so on. But here I was with my Radarman reporting a task force consisting of THREE battleships, a few cruisers anda whole bunch of destroyers.

Periscope depth......basically a convoi attack like i've done a hunderd times before.
And there they were, huge Kongo class BB's (why TF they are named after a country in africa???). Silent running and a short check of torpedo tubes...well, those MK10's look a little small and short. I decided to give the middle BB a full salvo, thinking it already would be a great success to sink a Battleship with an S-Class on the first patrol........and then.......

WHERE IS MY SALVO OPTION?????? Please, dont tell me it was removed!

Meanwhile it has become dark, my boat was rigged for red......errr blue......for some reason an s-class has a blue interior lighting. Really missing the spread option, I marked Tube 1, opened the muzzle door. (That Q-button has become instinctive in the past 2 years) and fired, as soon as the BB was in the right spot.....about 600 meters away.......I then fired the rest of the tubes......one at a time -.-

Impact! the first torpedo struck the ship, suddenly a morse light appeared on top of the bridge, the second and third impact caused a fire on deck and the last one orrured somewhere at the screws. For any SH3 guy that ship would be considered *******ed.....but no, a few minutes later it still is afloat, at the same speed and course as before, only effects were the 3 large holes in the hull, the fire and the ship being leaned extremely far to the port side. These Mk10's are REALLY smaller than german fish, I think..........

I now had to reload, which wasn't easy with all the DD's around and a boat that had a max depth of about 60 meters. It is really a totally different war out here, but in interesting one for sure. ;-)

CCIP
03-25-07, 04:12 PM
:)

About that Salvo option - this is actually accurate. American subs did not have an automatic fanshot setting like the germans did, and had to launch torpedoes one by one.

PeriscopeDepth
03-25-07, 04:17 PM
Good read. As for the Kongo, read this: http://www.answers.com/topic/mount-kong. A class of Japanese Aegis DDGs is also currently known as Kongo. As for the salvo, well USN fire control was different than U-boats'.

PD

MRV
03-25-07, 04:29 PM
Good read. As for the Kongo, read this: http://www.answers.com/topic/mount-kong. A class of Japanese Aegis DDGs is also currently known as Kongo. As for the salvo, well USN fire control was different than U-boats'.

PD

thx for the info. Somehow it was clear to me that the ships weren't named after some country. ;)