PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Seas in SE Asia

Seadogs
03-24-07, 10:30 PM
Hey all,

Does anyone else think it is out of place for the frequent heavy seas? I am currently in the US Navy and have been stationed in Yokosuka for the past seven years ( I love it here, unfortunatly they are making head back to the states later this year).

During that time my years at sea have been spent all over the Asiatic region, from Japan to India to Austarlia. One thing I have noticed is that unless thier is an infrequent storm the seas from the Phillipines West to the end of the Indonesian islands are smooth as butter.

It just seems odd to have 15ft seas in these areas more frequently than good weather. Maybe the weather model has not changed from the North Atlantic? Just my personal observation.

Bort
03-24-07, 10:36 PM
I'm going to agree with you on this one. I've only done about three patrols but in my time at sea during those patrols, I haven't had a run in with a ship in decent weather yet. It's terrible to have huge swells and heavy fog when you're trying to mount an attack on a task force - this has happened to me twice. Lots of pitchy seas and almost constant, heavy fog make for a dissapointing outcome when you're trying to sink 2 BBs and 2 CVs. :cry: Even so, I love SH4 so far and even with the "bugs" it has, I already like it more than SH3 + GWX. :rock:

Torpex752
03-24-07, 11:52 PM
When I was on USS Pasadena we went through some of the same areas that the ol' smoke boats did. You are correct, pacific weather is not the same at atlantic, soooooooomaybe a lil change is needed? However a Typhoon, would be historically correct. It wouldnt be too hard to know when it was either!

Anybody remember when Halsey sailed the fleet into the Typhoon? ;)

Frank
:cool:

JackChen
03-25-07, 08:30 AM
Pacific weather is somewhat different. And typhoons and tropical storms have seasons, not all the time. The developers need some good ocean data.

akdavis
03-25-07, 01:46 PM
Is weather randomized over the entire world, or are there variables or probabilities based on region and season? Does anyone know what files affect weather and sea state?