PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Depths?

shawnyp420
03-24-07, 09:39 PM
250ft. doesn't seem like much, even for a WWII vintage sub. Are these depths just "reccomended" depths?? Can I go a whole lot deeper? I'm pretty sure modern subs go > 1000ft so what gives??

FAdmiral
03-24-07, 09:49 PM
Those were recommended depth limits by the boat makers.
Most boats could go deeper but it would be a big gamble to
see how far...

JIM

PS. See this post http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108870

Riptides
03-24-07, 09:56 PM
I made it to 450' in the biggest starting sub in the game (is there bigger?). I sat there trucking along for about two minutes, then every system failed all at once and whoomp my sub crushed like a can.

So I can say I made it that far and did it by descending slowly in increments of about 50ft at a time below the warning mark. I had everyone at their stations and a full regiment of repair guys. There were leaks springing during the descent that they would pop up and repair.

The next time I tried to descend directly to 450' without stepping it and imploded around 410'.

Pretty cool, you oughta try it ;)

shawnyp420
03-24-07, 09:59 PM
so do you think it would be possible to operate at say 350' for an hour or two while I evade counter attack?

GoldenEagle8
03-24-07, 10:25 PM
hmm, I encountered what must have been a bug where I was going backwards out of an enemy port for a long while, and then, my boat sank like a rock to about 625':o and survived for about 3 minutes:shifty:. Then is was a very small wrinkley sub with holes in it:lost:. Like I said though, might have been a bug.

AS
03-25-07, 11:17 AM
I was just crushed in my Tambor class (1941) at 350 ft (about 119m) without any warning: all went well, suddenly the light went out, I got million damages (ridiculous ones like "deck gun damaged" too) and although I immediately tried to surface the sub was out of control.

Sadly, just another aspect that is worse than in SH3. Sad but true.

MikeDixonUK
03-25-07, 11:31 AM
My S-18 Class just got hit by what I assume was a Japanese Bomber (Had a Radar Contact but no Aircraft Spotted) and went all the way down to about 1500ft before it got crushed, and then I got Court Marshaled for Dying. :arrgh!:

drewsbu
03-25-07, 11:41 AM
My S-18 Class just got hit by what I assume was a Japanese Bomber (Had a Radar Contact but no Aircraft Spotted) and went all the way down to about 1500ft before it got crushed, and then I got Court Marshaled for Dying. :arrgh!:

haha I never heard of getting court marshalled for dying. Do the devs really believe that happened?

When I first died I thought I would get sort of honor for my ultimate sacrifice, but I kinda felt pissed that the US Navy tarnished my name. lol

Cakewalk
03-25-07, 01:11 PM
I usually try not to go below 400', in my Gar class sub.

That being said, its hilarious how the US Navy fishes you and your crew out from about 4000' underwater and brings you to court.:|\\

Faamecanic
03-25-07, 01:40 PM
so do you think it would be possible to operate at say 350' for an hour or two while I evade counter attack?

I know I had my Tambor class at 300 ft for awhile while evading a DC attack. When the ashcans started getting too close (still didnt have any damamge though) I went to 350 ft and she split open like a over-ripe tomato....

ComradeP
03-25-07, 01:52 PM
From all these debates about depth, ones starts to wonder why the Americans didn't radically improve their hulls at times when the Japanese and Germans already did so and could dive deeper (sometimes even two times as deep, according to these statistics).

Sailor Steve
03-25-07, 02:45 PM
The Germans had pressure hulls up to 7/8" thick. The Japanese, no. The japanese had depth charges that could not be set for more than 200 feet because they didn't believe anyone's subs could go that far down...theirs couldn't.

Scire
03-25-07, 03:18 PM
If you set the measure sistem in meters your sub will crash reaching only 45 meters of depth!!! :down:

CCIP
03-25-07, 03:45 PM
Yes, I believe this is more or less a confirmed issue. The game's crush depth (or rather depth at which the sub starts taking constant damage) is equal to the test depth, which is totally not appropriate. It should be at least 1.5 times greater; I'll see if I can play with it.

Aimbot
03-25-07, 03:46 PM
If you set the measure sistem in meters your sub will crash reaching only 45 meters of depth!!! :down:
That's 135 feet. You won't crush that shallow.

CaptJodan
03-25-07, 04:20 PM
Yes, I believe this is more or less a confirmed issue. The game's crush depth (or rather depth at which the sub starts taking constant damage) is equal to the test depth, which is totally not appropriate. It should be at least 1.5 times greater; I'll see if I can play with it.

Let us know what you find. I haven't seen TimeTraveller around to save the day, yet. :hmm:

Looking forward to hearing if you find anything.

9th_cow
03-25-07, 04:31 PM
I was just crushed in my Tambor class (1941) at 350 ft (about 119m) without any warning: all went well, suddenly the light went out, I got million damages (ridiculous ones like "deck gun damaged" too) and although I immediately tried to surface the sub was out of control.

Sadly, just another aspect that is worse than in SH3. Sad but true.

thing is last time i played SHIII wich was some time ago, i think maybe before GWX i sank to well beneath my reccomended limit, but several hours later i had repairs done and got back up.
and thats simply not possible here. i sank a sub down to the floor of the ocean but it was still well above crush, even got the bulkheads repaired, and then bang, dead.

its almost as if damage cant be repaired.

CCIP
03-25-07, 05:13 PM
Well, I went and did this

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=463599#post463599

:D

Elder-Pirate
03-25-07, 05:49 PM
Thanks CCIP. :up: Going to try it now.

REMEMBER people......... "Backup first" :yep:

Tigrone
03-25-07, 06:03 PM
Well, I went and did this