PDA

View Full Version : After all the hoopla

AVGWarhawk
03-24-07, 08:09 PM
After all the hoopla and :nope: around the community, I think it is time to say what I think of this game. I know there is a like/dislike thread but I felt I needed to have this one. SH4 has to be the most stunning graphics game I have played to date. In my view, Ubisoft took a big gamble in using the post processing filter. The gamble has paid off as far as I'm concerned. The translucent water is just stunning. Ship textures and detail for rust etc. is out of this world. The 3D wake behind the ships is excellent. The interface is confusing at first but with game play it has become rather easy to navigate to what you need. Some of it even makes sense as to why they did it this way. The characters in game textures are awesome and the people actually change with the change of the watch. The water glare is awesome and the glare shining up off the water on the side of the sub/ships is a great touch to this virtual world of the WW2 PTO. I also believe the nasty weather bug is fixed! Dispite a bug or two. You have delivered the goods and I love what I see:yep: I really love the post processing filter. It is simply ingenius!

To the development team at Ubisoft...Hats off to you for this exciting game! IMHO it is a graphics masterpiece! You guys and gals get a standing ovation from me!!!!

I have played the game now for over 6 hours and my eyes are getting square. Alas, I must pull into port for a rest.

Mylander
03-24-07, 08:17 PM
Amen, Bro -

This sim rocks - just buy it. It is beautiful, fun, engaging, challenging, educational, - you'll laugh, you'll cry - you won't know whether to "s**t or go blind".

And what will doubtless be done with mods - breathtaking. Hats off to Ubi - thanks for bringing us this one, and please keep up the good work, and the service after the sale - we appreciate you!

Mylander

Faamecanic
03-24-07, 08:27 PM
I have to agree with your summation on the graphics. The water is STUNNING! (and should be much more so stunning once FSAA or high res is enabled with the next patch...AHEM... cough cough). And even though I didnt like the post process filter at first...I have grown to like its "gritty" appearance.

What I dislike is the lack of a navigator. I like being able to query my navigator in SH 3 as to "Range at current speed" given the amount of fuel I had left. If UBI and the devs fix the resolution, FSAA...then I will be pretty happy.

I also feel like there should have been a few more pages in the manual IRT the crew management screen, damage control, history of the subs we are using (ala SH3) to include dive times, max depth, and the differences between torpedos.

As a side note...if you all havent checked out the "CBS Radio" mod ....do so NOW!!! Very awesome having period commericals (I love the re-tread tire commecial), music, and news reports that happen LIVE in the time your in.

Marko_Ramius
03-24-07, 09:04 PM
Every opinions are respectable, but again, i really don't understand how someone, these days, can say that SH4 graphics are amazing. In my point of view, it is of another time .. Really something wrong with the engine.

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh4rl3.jpg

This picture has lost a bit with jpeg thing, but not so much. How, to be honnest, can we say that is is great graphics ?

No offense in this post ;) Just some sadness and disapointement ..

TDK1044
03-24-07, 09:22 PM
I think SH4 is a good sim now, and it will become a great sim with the additional patches and modding.

Gildor
03-24-07, 09:43 PM
I have to agree with your summation on the graphics. The water is STUNNING! (and should be much more so stunning once FSAA or high res is enabled with the next patch...AHEM... cough cough). And even though I didnt like the post process filter at first...I have grown to like its "gritty" appearance.

What I dislike is the lack of a navigator. I like being able to query my navigator in SH 3 as to "Range at current speed" given the amount of fuel I had left. If UBI and the devs fix the resolution, FSAA...then I will be pretty happy.

I also feel like there should have been a few more pages in the manual IRT the crew management screen, damage control, history of the subs we are using (ala SH3) to include dive times, max depth, and the differences between torpedos.

As a side note...if you all havent checked out the "CBS Radio" mod ....do so NOW!!! Very awesome having period commericals (I love the re-tread tire commecial), music, and news reports that happen LIVE in the time your in.

There is a mod that changes the Function keys to SH3 equivilant AND adds the Navigator commands. Can't remember exactly but something like Cntl-G is the "range to end course" for example.

Gunner
03-24-07, 09:46 PM
I have to agree, stunning grahics if you play around with ingame and video card setting.Took this pic of the Yamato in Port before I sunk her, Post Processing is OFF, 19" LCD, 7600 GF 512MB Video card. I took some awsome screen shots with settings I use.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=6510rHtQv&i=1024664

livewire68
03-24-07, 09:53 PM
I think SH4 is a good sim now, and it will become a great sim with the additional patches and modding.

I completely agree. This game is visually stunning and will be even better with patches and the awsome ability of the modders out there on the forums!:up: I may have been playing only 3 hours earlier, but I feel like I just traveled to the South Pacific for some sun, fun, and oh yeah, placing big holes in "targets!"

AVGWarhawk
03-24-07, 09:56 PM
Every opinions are respectable, but again, i really don't understand how someone, these days, can say that SH4 graphics are amazing. In my point of view, it is of another time .. Really something wrong with the engine.

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh4rl3.jpg

This picture has lost a bit with jpeg thing, but not so much. How, to be honnest, can we say that is is great graphics ?

No offense in this post ;) Just some sadness and disapointement ..

I can say they are great because the game was designed around the post processing feature. Without it, it does not look great to me either. It looks great to me with what the development team was trying to achieve with this filter.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/sh42007-03-2411-34-27-07.jpg

IMHO this is great graphics for what the developer was attempting to achieve with it. I did not believe I would attempt to use this filter. Once on, I loved it and have left it. I do not believe AA was considered with this as a different type of rendering was attempted. Just my personal thoughts on it. Now as far as the screenshots sent out from the developers before the game hit the streets, there was no attempt to hide this rendering. Quite a few believed the shots were photoshopped. Now we see that they were not. I applaud them for taking a HUGE gamble with this rendering. I has paid off. At least in my corner of the pacific!