PDA

View Full Version : Planes are crazy.

malkuth74
03-24-07, 07:47 PM
Anyone else find the planes a little crazy? I mean they always seem to know where you are and they always seem to fly right over you. Plane got me the 2nd mission, I mean it was only a matter of time before they did get lucky.

It almost seems like it is scripted in some way to add challenge. Sometimes your radar operator will pick them up in enough time for you to dive. But if its they are visualy spotted you are going to have a bomb run done on you. It just seems a little strange.

AVGWarhawk
03-24-07, 07:51 PM
The only thing I find strange is the float planes pull out of a dive that is probably creating 20 g's of force:o . Other than that I find shooting them down is pretty easy. I will stay on the surface and have at them.

Skorn
03-24-07, 07:52 PM
If I'm on the surface at all during the day, it is 100% guaranteed that planes will fly right over and attack me. Always. I had seven...yes, seven planes on me one time when I was recharging for an hour or so.

AVGWarhawk
03-24-07, 07:54 PM
If I'm on the surface at all during the day, it is 100% guaranteed that planes will fly right over and attack me. Always. I had seven...yes, seven planes on me one time when I was recharging for an hour or so.

Night time is the right time to recharge. Stay submerged during the day. 3kts to save battery life.:yep:

Mylander
03-24-07, 08:25 PM

Night time is the right time to recharge. Stay submerged during the day. 3kts to save battery life.:yep:

That is a big roger. My friend who served on Archer-Fish said they did exactly that, and that's what I do. Ahead slow, and your batteries will last you (almost) from BMNT to EENT (sunrise to sunset). periscope depth for visual, hydrophones for audio. At night, surface and recharge batteries, fire up radar, and haul ass.

Mylander

Look, I'm a Bosun! Where's my whistle?

CaptJodan
03-24-07, 08:34 PM
I always try to dive when getting near enemy waters during the day and stay down until night. Still, it's amazing how many times the aircraft attack THE MOMENT we rig out of red, and too quick for me to be able to cut time compression. They love to attack at dawn AND dusk.

Ho hum.

I haven't been sunk yet (July 1942 right now, USS Drum), but my previous boat was hit in an air raid and massively damaged. Engines out, flooding etc. I almost didn't make it back and until I got out of japanese air territory, I kept getting under attack, diving to avoid them, but the boat kept sinking on me and I seemed to have no electric engines (even though they were just fine on the DC panel). Got though it, but I don't know how.

I fear those planes more than I fear the destroyers, I tell ya.

GoldenRivet
03-24-07, 08:54 PM
you have to consider this, when you are in waters that are no more than 40 meters deep and the sea floor is mostly coral... that big dark colored turd of a submarine sticks out as viewed from an airplane. just think of all the footage you see from choppers patrolling the beach and how easy those sharks are to see.

MikeJW
03-24-07, 08:58 PM
It doesnt matter if its 1000' or 40', the AC finds you too easily.

Rilder
03-24-07, 09:11 PM
It doesnt matter if its 1000' or 40', the AC finds you too easily.

This isn't true, I've been less then 7nm off a Jap port in Japan and even with the top of my conning tower hanging in the breeze in broad daylight and they didn't even fly overhead, but the moment my watch crew came on deck a little while later they'd come....

Btw if you see a Zero, CRASH DIVE NOW YOU CRAZY GIT! Flank speed hard to port, Japaneese submarine acrobatics, anything cause those things can lay a bomb dam near perfectly; If your Radar doesn't catch an approaching one you mise well abandon ship now...:stare: