PDA

View Full Version : Danger From The Deep - A Question

Phoenix3000
02-13-07, 10:53 AM
Hi guys,

Having been playing SH3 GWX for some time now I have recently been looking into DFTD. I now see it's at version 0.2.0 - but they question is, as a Windows XP Home user -

How do I install it??

Sorry, but reading about compiling libraries etc. is confusing me!:oops:

Any chance of 'An Idiot's Guide to Installing DFTD'?

Cheers

Px3000

Kapitan_Phillips
02-14-07, 02:40 PM
It is pretty fiddly, yeah. But here's what you need on Windows, if I understand correctly:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dangerdeep/dangerdeep-0.2.0-win32.zip?download

Unzip that into a custom directory (like: C:\Danger from the Deep)

Then;

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dangerdeep/dangerdeep-data-0.2.0.zip?download

Unzip that into the same directory, and it should work.

I'm trying it myself, so I'll let you know :up:

AG124
02-14-07, 02:44 PM
That's what I did, and it works fine for me.:yep: (I am running Windows XP Home and Professional on different computers, and it worked on all of them).

Kapitan_Phillips
02-14-07, 03:03 PM
Yep, I just played it, and it works fine (showing plenty of promise, I might add, too! :rock:)

Phoenix3000
03-01-07, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys, I got it running (finally).

The visuals are certainly looking good especially the water effects - nice!

Looking forward to where this one is heading - could be fantastic given time.

Thanks

Px3000

sonar732
03-01-07, 10:53 AM
I can't figure out how to utilize the torps.

Sometimes I wish I could afford SH style games.

Chad
03-02-07, 12:23 PM
@Sonar -

Your from Central MO? I'm east of Kansas City about 30 in a small town, how far are you from Independence?

Kpt. Kozloff
03-04-07, 06:02 PM
I've seen screenies of that game and it looks amazing! I need to give it a go.... Although as mentioned before it's pretty tricky to install properly and a bit buggy. But surely worth a try.:up: It's potentially a huge hit!

sonar732
03-04-07, 07:36 PM
@Chad

I'm smack dab between St. Louis and KC on I-70...Columbia.

Chock
05-10-07, 09:49 PM
I'm glad you seem to have got it working, funnily enough it installed straight onto my (XP) system with no fuss whatsoever straight from the download. Anyway, a result.

Some aspects of this sim are really cool, the water colour is certainly amongst the best and most convincing of any attempt at the Atlantic in a sim, commercial or otherwise. The 2D display screens are pretty cool too, and despite the fact that the background doesn't pan around, I like the treatment of the periscope view, as it conveys the feeling of you looking at something on the surface above your boat better than any other sim has managed.

If you try one of the daytime convoy engagements, when the smoke of the distant ships comes into view, it is pretty convincing, and in a similar manner to the periscope, the UZO does convince you that you are looking through some optics. For some reason the conning tower view seems a lot more believable than other sims too, even with its slightly rough edges on the graphics front. And who can fail to be impressed with the fact that you can actually mess around with the dive planes? :up:

Like the WW1 U-Flotilla indie sim, I'm always keep an eye this one with interest and hope that it sees the light of day sometime in a polished form.

I'd offer to help them on the graphics front, but it seems that they are snowed under with stuff and offers already judging by the forums, so if enthusiasm is a good enough spur towards completion, we'll one day have another great sub sim to mess around with.