PDA

View Full Version : SH4 pre-order confusion

SeniorSpan
02-01-07, 02:05 PM
G'day,

I've been watching the SH4 thread pretty close and have just about convinced myself to pre-order SH4, however, I've become totally confused about versions. Originally I thought there would be just one version, I'll call it the Retail version, making a pre-order simple, but then, talk appeared about a Collectors Edition, which no one seems to know how it will differ from the Retail version, but there's lots of speculation. Then, to complicate matters further, I found this posted on this site: "Wednesday 01/31/07 - When Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific is released, every copy of the game will include premium bonus material for a limited time! We asked our community members what they wanted, and crammed every single little thing that we could into the packaging just for you guys! Wanna know what's in it? Check out the list below:

* Premium Packaging
* 100+ page manual including reference material
* Fold-out historical map of the Pacific theater
* Fold out ship recognition poster
* Quick Reference Card
* 1-hour of WWII-era documentary footage about U.S. submarines from Periscope Films on a Bonus DVD

You guys told us what you wanted, and we tried our very best to make sure you will be satisfied with your purchase!"

So, remaining somewhat confused I thought, who better to ask then the source it self. So I sent this msg to Ubisoft:

"Ubisoft,

I would like to place a pre-order for Silent Hunter4: Wolves of the Pacific, however, I'm somewhat confused regarding the difference between Silent Hunter 4, Silent Hunter 4 Collectors Edition, and the version suggested on www.subsim.com which is:

"Wednesday 01/31/07 - When Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific is released, every copy of the game will include premium bonus material for a limited time! We asked our community members what they wanted, and crammed every single little thing that we could into the packaging just for you guys! Wanna know what's in it? Check out the list below:

* Premium Packaging
* Quick Reference Card
* 1-hour of WWII-era documentary footage about U.S. submarines from Periscope Films on a Bonus DVD

You guys told us what you wanted, and we tried our very best to make sure you will be satisfied with your purchase!"

Bottom line, if I place a pre-order, what version, normal retail, Collectors Edition, or the version posted on www.subsim.com, will I actually receive?

Thx in advance

Cheers"

I received this answer:

Response (Jason) - 02/01/2007 11:50 AM
Thank you for contacting Ubi Soft Technical Support. Unfortunately, Technical Support does not have any access to ordering information. To order any Ubi Soft product, or for information about release dates, please visit our online store at http://store.ubi.com/.

NOTE: If you ordered, or would like information about your order from Ubi Soft, Red Storm, BlueByte, The LearningCo, or SSI please call the Ubi Soft sales customer service line at 1-888-824-7038 or visit http://storesupport.ubi.com.

So, now I'm turning to the forum, while there is only one version on the Ubisoft pre-order page, does anyone know what version you will actually get if you place a pre-order?

Thx

Bob

TDK1044
02-01-07, 02:14 PM
What Ubisoft is doing is to initially release a 'Limited Edition' version of the game which includes the extra goodies. Once those are sold, future releases will be the basic game with no extra goodies.

:D

AJ!
02-01-07, 02:39 PM
Yeah there will only be one version coming out, but the first batch will include all those extra goodies.. So if you preorder now you will get all the extras :up:

Iron Budokan
02-01-07, 03:14 PM
Where's the link to preorder?

AG124
02-01-07, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know how long the Collector's Edition will be produced, and if it will be available in physical stores like WalMart or EB Games (as opposed to online only)?

mr chris
02-01-07, 04:53 PM
Yep i want to pre-order any idea how long till we can Pre-order here at Subsim Neal?

TDK1044
02-01-07, 04:54 PM
It'll certainly be available in the stores. No idea how many Limited Edition copies will be produced.

Sonarman
02-01-07, 05:13 PM
Also note that to date this offer has only appeared on the US SH4 website there has not yet been any offical statement about which extras if any, UK/Europe/the rest of the world will get.

hyperion2206
02-01-07, 05:16 PM
Also note that to date this offer has only appeared on the US SH4 website there has not yet been any offical statement about which extras if any, UK/Europe/the rest of the world will get.

That's not completly right; on the German SH4 site you can read this:

There they want to know which extra content we want to get. The choices are:
A making off...
printed extra material
special goodies like pins or sew-on badges
exclusive game content
or soundtracks

Sonarman
02-01-07, 05:32 PM
Thanks for that, I just noticed that on the SHIII forum and was about to update the thread! Hopefully we in the UK will get something special too!

SeniorSpan
02-01-07, 05:40 PM
Thx much for the clearification. Now it all makes sense and I pre-ordered.

Iron Budokan, this is the link to start the pre-order process
http://store.ubi.com/category.jsp?category=PC

Iron Budokan
02-01-07, 06:30 PM
Thank you!:up:

_Seth_
02-01-07, 07:54 PM
I will definitively order through Subsim. Even if i dont get the in-box extras & it takes longer to get. I think its much better to support this great website.:yep:
Ahh...Just my 2 cents..

GSpector
02-01-07, 08:03 PM
Good question,

Will we be able to pre-order through SubSim?:hmm:

If so, when and will we have the chance to get the extras?

Potoroo
02-01-07, 10:13 PM
Thanks for that, I just noticed that on the SHIII forum and was about to update the thread! Hopefully we in the UK will get something special too!
At the Ubisoft forum there's an Ubi "community manager" (AudibleKnight) who's copping howls of protest and outrage over those not in America being done over by Ubisoft yet again. It's gathering real momentum although it's hard to say what effect it will have. I fully expect Australia to get shafted by Ubisoft yet again.

Jeffg
02-01-07, 10:14 PM
I have pre-ordered through EB yesterday.
JeffG

Potoroo
02-01-07, 10:19 PM
I have pre-ordered through EB yesterday.
JeffG
EB where and did it include the goodies?

Onkel Neal
02-01-07, 10:20 PM
Here's the deal; in the olde days (1999-2005) Subsim made its operating revenue by selling the games. Since 2005 we have been running on two load-balanced servers most of the time and that runs me a little over $480 a month. Each month and every month. And that doesn't count the overage costs, like when I put GW and NYGM mods in main downloads and three weeks later EV1 charged my credit card $1800 for over bandwidth charges :o

In Jan 2006 our affiliate partner Chips and Bits went belly up. So we had to switch to Amazon and they only pay 1/2 the rate we got before. I expect most people order SH4 directly from Ubisoft, they really don't care to spend a minute thinking where they get the game from, they just want it. I can understand that. I can also understand why Ubisoft would prefer that, they probably get a bigger cut when they sell direct. And they hype all these "extras" and collector's editions to make people think they better get the game right away through them, or miss some goodies.

I'm not going to ask anyone to wait or risk missing the "extras" by buying through Subsim/Amazon. Subsim may miss a lot of sales of the biggest game in 3 years, but not much I can do about that. In fact, Amazon still does not have affilate links for the game, probably because Ubisoft told them to wait. :dead: They do have a placeholder, here: SILENT HUNTER 4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSilent-Hunter-4-for-PC%2Fdp%2FB000MR5FBU%2Fsr%3D8-4%2Fqid%3D1170384857%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics&tag=cyberknight&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325)

So that tells me they may be getting ready to set up for the same preorders as Ubi. When it goes live I will shout out. If you want to order SH4 through Subsim, it is appreciated.

So, I would prefer you to make the purchase decision you are most comfortable with. Many people tell me they would rather buy the game at EB or CompUSA, or order through Ubi, and make a $5 donation to Subsim. That's cool, I just don't want someone to miss out on anything by trying to help the website.

Potoroo
02-01-07, 10:32 PM
So that tells me they may be getting ready to set up for the same preorders as Ubi. When it goes live I will shout out. If you want to order SH4 through Subsim, it is appreciated.
If SubSim were to be able to offer the pre-order package currently available on Ubisoft's US online shop would you be prepared to ship outside the US/Canada? That's what's really getting up people's noses in the Ubisoft forum. It's not just that it's only available on the US site, it's also that it will not sell to people in other countries even if they were prepared to pay extra for shipping.

Onkel Neal
02-01-07, 11:00 PM
Yeah, that's pretty screwed up, mate. I'll be honest with you, back when Chips was our affiliate, I could call the affiliate manager and get info like you're asking for. Subsim sold a lot of games for Chips. With Amazon, Subsim is a wee little fishy, they won't even talk with me :doh: So I will try to get the info asap, I would even be happy to place orders for you and ship them to Australia, but I don't want to hold anyone up.

And to answer your question in the Ubi forum, about how Subsim gets info on SH4, I've been writing countless articles, reviews, and previews for 11 years, so my track record helps. Think about this, I wrote a preview twice as long and detailed as Gamespot but they got the 6 minute exclusive video :)

I think in a few weeks some people will have a chance to demo the game at an Ubi event so stay tuned.

I see the Ubi forum and Subsim forum as cousins, so anything I publish here is meant for you/them/us too. It's only a hyperlink away ;)

cheers! :up:
Neal

CCIP
02-01-07, 11:25 PM
Alright, well, I'll give it a month! If we can get pre-orders through subsim in February, I'll be happy enough. Let's hope that's the case; I just can't wait for the game more than I have to.
(that said, I've already donated to subsim recently so I hope noone thinks I'm ditching my support :p)

donut
02-02-07, 02:30 AM
"With Amazon, Subsim is a wee little fishy, they won't even talk with me :doh: " For treating Onkel this way. No one @ Subsim should buy from Amazon. Advising Onkel to do business else ware,UBI made the game with Subsims forums ideas,& will cash in on same in SHIV . :yep: IMHO.UBI should be there for Subsim,& support Onkel's site with a larger kick back than Amaz-on + UBI should give Onkel A priority link, for sales from Subsim. I will not buy SHIV unless Subsim gets credit ,hard cash support from UBI.:nope:

_Seth_
02-02-07, 03:11 AM
I will not buy SHIV unless Subsim gets credit ,hard cash support from UBI.:nope::yep::up:

Gizzmoe
02-02-07, 05:11 AM
I will not buy SHIV unless Subsim gets credit ,hard cash support from UBI.:nope:
Ubi highly values our community, they listen to our feedback and everything. Nealīs relationship to Ubi and the devs is great, for example they invited him to San Francisco for the hands-on preview. They give us submarine sims to play with, that keeps Subsim.com alive. Neal and many others appreciate Ubiīs commitment, we have nothing to be unthankful about.

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 05:27 AM
At the German Ubisoft Forum an Ubi guy tried clear things up. There will be 3 different types of games available:
1. Normal Game (60 page manual, key maps, map of the pacific)
2. Collectors Edition (60 page manual, key maps, map of the pacific, 100 page ship recognition handbook, soundtrack and sew-on badge(s) )
3. Super Collectors Edition (only at ubi shop)

danlisa
02-02-07, 05:32 AM
Ok, back the confusion:doh:....

I need this clarified.....

If we pre-order SH4 there will be a limited amount of 'Collectors' Edition available.(with extra goodies)

Once that amount of 'Collectors' Editions are gone then a Standard DVD version is for sale.

How, if we pre-order, do we know if we'll get the 'Collectors' Edition?(limited numbers?)

If I wait for a few months to see whether you guys give it a good review & whether it is buggy again, then there will be NO chance that I could purchase a 'Collectors' Edition with added goodies?

I think the main question is, will I be able to buy the Collectors Edition 6 months down the line? Or is this a one time offer.

Why do I feel slightly shafted for biding my time.:hmm:

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 05:38 AM

If we pre-order SH4 there will be a limited amount of 'Collectors' Edition available.(with extra goodies)

Once that amount of 'Collectors' Editions are gone then a Standard DVD version is for sale.

How, if we pre-order, do we know if we'll get the 'Collectors' Edition?(limited numbers?)

If I wait for a few months to see whether you guys give it a good review & whether it is buggy again, then there will be NO chance that I could purchase a 'Collectors' Edition with added goodies?

I think the main question is, will I be able to buy the Collectors Edition 6 months down the line? Or is this a one time offer.

Why do I feel slightly shafted for biding my time.:hmm:

The Ubi guy said that you could purchase the normal game (obvious;) ) and the collectors edition in your local store, but the super collectors edition is only available at ubi store.

Potoroo
02-02-07, 05:43 AM

It depends where you are, it seems. What was posted on the German Ubi site is very different to what the US Community Manager is saying in the Ubi forum.

What's in the US/Canadian pre-order package from Ubisoft:

* Premium Packaging
* Quick Reference Card

How long it will be available:

This announcement is for the packaging which is available for a limited time. It is NOT a limited/special edition.

That means that you will get all these goodies if you pre-order from Ubi, buy it in your local gaming store, or buy it online as long as it's in US/Canada and during the limited time it's available.

Like I said before, after the limited time, they'll change over to a basic package with only some/none of the goodies.See http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/8761086925/p/1. Look for posts by AudibleKnight.

donut
02-02-07, 05:52 AM
I will not buy SHIV unless Subsim gets credit ,hard cash support from UBI.:nope:
Ubi highly values our community, they listen to our feedback and everything. Nealīs relationship to Ubi and the devs is great, for example they invited him to San Francisco for the hands-on preview. They give us submarine sims to play with, that keeps Subsim.com alive. Neal and many others appreciate Ubiīs commitment, we have nothing to be unthankful about.
why are you only quoting only the harshest part of my post? What I am Upset about is Amaz-ons insult to Onkel,& IMHO. Onkel,can do better with UBI,& UBI should be able to see thats in there best interest also.Win, win situation get it.

danlisa
02-02-07, 05:57 AM
It depends where you are, it seems. What was posted on the German Ubi site is very different to what the US Community Manager is saying in the Ubi forum.

I'm in the UK. Sorta in the middle:p

However, I suspect rather than being a German exclusive, it will be a European exclusive.

It does seem that the US is getting forgotten a little. Is there anything stopping you buying it from Europe?(p&p apart)

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 06:07 AM
At the German Amazon site you can finally preorder the collectors edition which includes soundtracks, sew-on badge and a spiral handbook at a cost of 54,99 € .

Gizzmoe
02-02-07, 06:12 AM
why are you only quoting only the harshest part of my post? What I am Upset about is Amaz-ons insult to Onkel,& IMHO. Onkel,can do better with UBI,& UBI should be able to see thats in there best interest also.Win, win situation get it.
You are not doing him a favour by calling for an Amazon boycott and also by trying to put pressure on Ubi by saying you wonīt buy SH4 unless they give Neal "hard cash support". Such behaviour isnīt helpful and wonīt lead to a solution. Neal will try everything to find a better solution, if he canīt, well, the amount of money he would get from Amazon for 500 copies of SH4 wouldnīt be bad.

Potoroo
02-02-07, 08:04 AM
It does seem that the US is getting forgotten a little.
Forgotten! You guys have an online Ubi store! You can pre-order!
Is there anything stopping you buying it from Europe?(p&p apart)
Many online stores won't sell software across international borders.

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 08:06 AM
It does seem that the US is getting forgotten a little. Forgotten! You guys have an online Ubi store! You can pre-order!
Is there anything stopping you buying it from Europe?(p&p apart) Many online stores won't sell software across international borders.

Have a closer look: danlisa is from Cornwall, I guess he wanted to say UK instead of US.:rotfl:

Potoroo
02-02-07, 08:09 AM
Oops! Is that a my bad or a his bad? ;)

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 08:15 AM
Oops! Is that a my bad or a his bad? ;)

Don't ask me, I'm not his attorney!;):p

danlisa
02-02-07, 08:17 AM
I'm in the UK. Sorta in the middle:p

However, I suspect rather than being a German exclusive, it will be a European exclusive.

It does seem that the US is getting forgotten a little. Is there anything stopping you buying it from Europe?(p&p apart)

Hehe, I quoted myself.

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to say that if the German Ubi is offering the Super Collectors Edition via their online store, then it would be for Europe aswell.

However, I also mentioned that it seems that the US is being unfairly (IMHO) treated.

skip
02-02-07, 09:06 AM
I'm still a bit lost with where to order from

I want this Super Collectors edition, I live in the UK could someone please post a link to where I should be ordering it from.

AG124
02-02-07, 09:31 AM
I would love to purchase the game through the Amazon link on SubSim, but I only buy online if I can use PayPal. Amazon doesn't accept PayPal at this time.:nope:

I also noticed on Amazon.com, anyone outside of the US is forbidden to purchase SHIV, and this appears to include Canadians.:o Wasn't this package going to be available to Canadians for pre-order, as well as Americans? Or is this limitation just an Amazon policy?

SeniorSpan
02-02-07, 10:16 AM
G'day,

When you finally think all is revealed, new info gets thrown into the mixer. So, as I understood the majority of prior posts, the options for SH4 were the Normal game and the Collectors edition. And if you pre-orderd from Ubisoft you would get the Collectors edition; h o w e v e r, hyperion2206 posted:

"At the German Ubisoft Forum an Ubi guy tried clear things up. There will be 3 different types of games available:
1. Normal Game (60 page manual, key maps, map of the pacific)
2. Collectors Edition (60 page manual, key maps, map of the pacific, 100 page ship recognition handbook, soundtrack and sew-on badge(s) )
3. Super Collectors Edition (only at ubi shop)"

I re-read all the post here and this is the first mention of a Super Collectors Edition, but no details. What could possibly be included in this version, a full size boat, torps and a crew?

Dont get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the pre-order package contents:

* Premium Packaging
* Quick Reference Card

but the version info has gone from confusing, to makes sense, back to confusing again. So what included in the Super Collectors Edition?

Cheers

Bob

Stryker412
02-02-07, 10:17 AM
Are we sure the link on Ubi is the Super Collector's edition? It doesn't mention anything in the game details about extra content.

AJ!
02-02-07, 10:18 AM
You know alot of confusion could be avoided if you just wait alittle longer before pre-ordering....

I mean if you wait till the end of feb there would be alot more details on the games release packages and you would still have a good 10 days of march for preorders :up:

Stryker412
02-02-07, 10:35 AM
That is true and I'm in no rush but it depends on how limited these super special editions are.

mr chris
02-02-07, 11:13 AM
Im going to wait and order through Subsim as it is my way of helping the site out no matter how little the affect it will have over all. But i have one question.
Do you have to live in the US to order through Subsim could i order and get it sent to Germany. I really dont care how much it costs. It would be nice to get the collectors Edition but if i miss out its something i can deal with.

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 01:06 PM
The super collectors edition was mentioned on the German Ubisoft forum by an Ubisoft member and he didn't explain what will be included in the SCE but I guess it would be the SH4 pen.

Respenus
02-02-07, 01:28 PM
OK, to come out of the confusion, where do I pre-order to get the extra content? SubSim, Amazon, UBI?

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 01:38 PM
OK, to come out of the confusion, where do I pre-order to get the extra content? SubSim, Amazon, UBI?

Standard game and collectors edition (or extra content edition) can be pre-ordered at Amazon (at least on the German site) the super collectors edition is available at ubisoft shop only.

FIREWALL
02-02-07, 01:39 PM
The super collectors edition was mentioned on the German Ubisoft forum by an Ubisoft member and he didn't explain what will be included in the SCE but I guess it would be the SH4 pen.

SH4 PEN :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Did everyone know if you preorder Super Duper Limited to your wild

spekulative imagination Edition. You get a ......

SECRET ENIGMA DECODER RING

Hurry now while supplies last...... and the cracker jacks are fresh.

Respenus
02-02-07, 01:46 PM
Standard game and collectors edition (or extra content edition) can be pre-ordered at Amazon (at least on the German site) the super collectors edition is available at ubisoft shop only.

Super Collectors Edition?

Link please.

Respenus
02-02-07, 02:38 PM
Bad news. Again, major companies do not deliver to Slovenia. God, I though that maybe joining the EU, we'd fall off the East Europe map and get some decent connenctions :damn:

I checked Amazon.co.uk, no super deal found. I'll keep looking, and I seriously doubt my game store will buy SH4 Collector Editions. I might even have to place a special order. I even had to order Star Trek:Armada 2 and wait almost a life time for it to arrive (and then I had to wait a couple of years to get it to work, as it didn't support my graphic card).

hyperion2206
02-02-07, 04:30 PM
Super Collectors Edition?

Link please.

Here's the link, but you need to speak German. However there's not much info, just that there will be a Super Collectors Edition that will be sold at the UBI shop only. But no info what kind of extras will be included.

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9001092274/m/6431028925

Respenus
02-02-07, 04:44 PM
This is pissing me off. :damn: (Gizzmoe, feel free to edit)

One of the reasons why I want to study outside Slovenia, is that I might get some books for when I'm in college, not being left on dry land without anything. I believe that Amazon.co.uk delivers stuff to Slovenia (and Amazon.de, but I don't speak German). I just hope I'll get some extra stuff somewhere.

AJ!
02-02-07, 05:42 PM
Im sold on the whole SH4 Pen.... thats award winning stuff :p

First thing id do if i got the SH4 pen would be to um.... write stuff :rotfl:

StandingCow
02-02-07, 06:08 PM
If somebody here got absolutly screwed over and couldn't purchase the game, I don't see why they couldn't pay someone with access to ship it to them. I am sure somebody would be willing. :)

FIREWALL
02-02-07, 07:16 PM
Hi all
Just got back from ubisoft .com store U.S.

SH4 $49.99 $6.99 fedex ground in US. For a Preorder.

There is no mention of a "Special Edition" much less a Super Special Edition.

I'm beginning to think were getting our Chain Pulled.

Please post link where UBISOFT has these Special Editions for preorder.

flintlock
02-03-07, 12:17 AM
Exclusive Limited Edition - Coming Soon.

http://shop.ubi.com/editorial.asp?voir=586

Potoroo
02-03-07, 12:57 AM
Hi all
Just got back from ubisoft .com store U.S.

SH4 $49.99 $6.99 fedex ground in US. For a Preorder.

There is no mention of a "Special Edition" much less a Super Special Edition.

I'm beginning to think were getting our Chain Pulled.

Please post link where UBISOFT has these Special Editions for preorder.
At the risk of sounding cranky, if people paid attention they'd know there is no US/Canadian Collector's Edition. I even quoted the Ubi US Community Manager saying so.

The US/Canada gets a limited time premium packaging with certain goodies. Germany (and presumably other EU countries) gets the Normal Game, Collector's Edition (similar but not identical goodies to US/Canada) and the Super Collector's Edition (only from Ubi; contents unknown). Australia/New Zealand seem to be getting the European Normal Game (plus SH4 Pen) and the European Collector's Edition (plus SH4 Pen) but not the European Super Collector's Edition. The other 5.8 billion people on the planet thus far don't get a look in.

PS: The only place I've seen the SH4 Pen is on the Australian (www.gameswarehouse.com.au (http://www.gameswarehouse.com.au)) pre-order pages, so maybe it's some sort of compensation for ignoring us when SH3 was released. ;)

FIREWALL
02-03-07, 01:05 AM
Exclusive Limited Edition - Coming Soon.

http://shop.ubi.com/editorial.asp?voir=586

Thx flintlock. Yours is the only post in 3 pages that had a link that actually said limited edition .It said comming soon,no prices, no list of goodies or anything else.

Thx again for facts and not a bunch of dreams.

In my book your far from cry from a Nub. :up:

Onkel Neal
02-03-07, 01:32 AM
The little fish Subsim just got a call this afternoon from an Amazon manager, they received my e-mail and have activated the pre-order! He said the contents in the box will be the same as Ubisoft.

Subsim Silent Hunter 4 preorder link (http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter_4_preorder_link.htm)

thanks for your support!
Neal

FIREWALL
02-03-07, 01:39 AM
The little fish Subsim just got a call this afternoon from an Amazon manager, they received my e-mail and have activated the pre-order! He said the contents in the box will be the same as Ubisoft.

Subsim Silent Hunter 4 preorder link (http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter_4_preorder_link.htm)

thanks for your support!
Neal

Thx Onkel Neal Will order from you imediatly and also get my Almanac.
at same time. :up:

Onkel Neal
02-03-07, 01:43 AM
Thanks!

New thread for Subsim orders (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105051)