PDA

View Full Version : silent hunter4 and vista

Lt commander lare
01-30-07, 07:20 PM
hello does anyone know if silent hunter will work on vista silent hunter 3 is not compatible because ihad no choice when my computer got fried and had to take a vista so am i screwed for silent hunter 4 as well

lt commander lare

Harry Buttle
01-30-07, 08:50 PM
hello does anyone know if silent hunter will work on vista silent hunter 3 is not compatible because ihad no choice when my computer got fried and had to take a vista so am i screwed for silent hunter 4 as well

lt commander lare

Have you looked at Vistas compatability modes?

Finback
01-31-07, 02:03 AM
I had it running on a pre-release version of Vista but it was really a dog. Pretty sure it's mostly hardware driver issues. Also, if you're running Vista, automatically add 512 RAM to your game requirements. The OS is a memory hog. Buy memory now as the price is sure to go up due to new and future "minimum" requirements...

Watch for driver updates Lt.

StandingCow
01-31-07, 02:35 AM
Benchmarks:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/ (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/)

Breaks 90% of Games says game developer:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/30/vista_games/ (http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/30/vista_games/) (Think this guy is bias since he is an ex employee?)

Conclusion, same as before, avoid it for a while and see if things improve.

TDK1044
01-31-07, 06:58 AM
http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5234

Don't believe the minimum RAM requirement, but the rest is accurate, including the fact that the game will run on Vista.

digitizedsoul
01-31-07, 09:05 AM
I'm playing SH3 on vista ultimate right now. My machine sucks too.

Amd Athalon XP 2000, 512mb cas2 ram, no serial ATA drives all of them are IDE, and an ATI X800 AGP.

Nothing to write home to momma about, and the game takes 3 years to load... literaly and like 8 years with GWX installed but once its up and running its great! I have to spin around inside the sub view a few times and especially on the bridge for everything to load and cache, after that its smooth as silk... no crashes.

I'm definatly building a new PC for SH4 cuz mine won't cut it looks like :)

codmander
01-31-07, 12:45 PM
hope i need not upgrade or anything else for at least 3 years or so I hate messin with that stuff
1 positive thing probly be less bug with xp now all the hackers will be lookin for soft spots in vista:smug:

Finback
02-01-07, 12:26 PM
According to Neals first look at SH4, ubi may patch the sim for DX10. Now I have to consider running Vista sooner than I had planned. But for sure it'll be in a dual boot mode with XP as my primary OS.

Sure hope those 8800 GTX vid card prices come down soon...

TDK1044
02-01-07, 12:31 PM
I won't be going near Vista for at least a year, and I will happily play SH 4 on XP until then.

Finback
02-01-07, 12:38 PM
I completely understand your sentiments! :yep: However, I do tech work for a living so I kind of have to stay currnet anyway, so I can fix them when they break.

I've been running pre-release versions of Vista for 3-4 months now and I actually like it. Hardware driver support is lousy though and vendors will have to address that soon--I hope. But sh4 with DX10 (and DX10 is incredible)--that just pushes me toward the upgrade a little more firmly ;) .

Cheers!

dean_acheson
02-03-07, 01:47 PM
Well, Vista is pretty cool.

But no more SH3, it won't run on my machine

fredbass
02-03-07, 02:01 PM
Well, Vista is pretty cool.

But no more SH3, it won't run on my machine

Do you have a 64bit OS?

GlobalExplorer
02-03-07, 02:25 PM
I think XP will stay on my system for a long time. I just don't see the advantages of Vista.

When the long anticipated Windows NT came out (1993) it was a real disappointment. It took over 5 years until there was a version of NT that was interesting for home users and games (Windows 2000), and only with Windows XP (which is basically Windows NT 6), DOS and real mode heritage was finally left behind.

So, way to go Vista.

Btw, if you feel too much restricted by DRM etc., there are free alternatives, which are run by programmers, not by clerks. And they work very well. Everyone who eats everything MS is spoon feeding them is a fool, I think.

But I do not condone MS bashing, for instance they are giving away free developer tools, and though it's of course not out of generosity, I still think it's cool for people who are working with them. As a Windows developer, you really are a spoiled child ..

As to their most famous faces .. Gates is propably one of the nicest guys in the business, Paul Allan is founding SETI, which I think everyone deserves praise for.

I wouldn't be suprised if MS lost a bit of their market share over Vista. It's really nothing revolutionary anymore. 3D Desktop, huh? The computer industry has moved on, innovation has never been with MS, and it would be hard for any company to defend a market share of over 80 %.

Windows XP is a good OS, imo one of the best, and Vista is its successor. But there is no reason why everyone has to use Windows. So everyone should compare and make up his mind what he needs and for what.

GE

dean_acheson
02-03-07, 02:38 PM
I like Vista, I mean, the interface is pretty cool.

The problem is starforce, Vista is telling me that it will not allow this program to run.

I am messing with it right now.

Boris
02-03-07, 04:45 PM
I just had the nightmare of installing Vista last night... hours of my life wated on nothing. It installs fine at first, runs efficiently, and looks cool. But then I find that my old drivers aren't compatible... so I look for new ones. This takes ages, searching through forums, tips and tricks. Finally I find that my x1950xt doesn't run 3d graphics at all under Vista with ANY drivers. Really scary looking BSOD with artefacting when I try to run a game.

So Frak that!

Not going to try Vista for at least another 6 months now, if not a year. The only thing that will force me is DX10.

THE_MASK
02-03-07, 05:21 PM
It says on the official ubi website that SH4 is compatible with xp/vista.

GlobalExplorer
02-04-07, 05:34 AM
Wow!

flintlock
02-12-07, 02:03 PM
Good news on the Vista front, but who are they trying to kid with the 512MB RAM? WinXP limps along with that amount of RAM just booting itself. I've found that 2GB is the sweet spot for WinXP and imagine it will be at least 4GB for Vista.

Boris
02-12-07, 03:26 PM
Yeah, no surprise that things are going to run a bit slower on Vista, happens with every new OS.

Of course SH4 is going to compatible with Vista, every new PC comes bundled with it, and no devs of any game can afford to have their upcoming games incompatible with it.

flintlock
02-12-07, 03:59 PM
happens with every new OS.
Generally yes, but a given insofar as Microsoft's operating systems are concerened.

Boris
02-12-07, 04:03 PM
I was of course referring only to MS OSs. But then who else has the monopoly on the PC OS market? ;)

StandingCow
02-12-07, 08:54 PM
They said Sh4 could use DX10 didn't they? It would have to be very Vista friendly in that case because XP cannot do DX10.

corvette k225
02-12-07, 10:00 PM
Guys what does it take to run SHIII and GWX on Vista system?:oops: :oops:

flintlock
02-12-07, 10:05 PM
Hey corvette,

Have a read through the thread linked below. It may find it to be helpful.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105144&highlight=Vista