PDA

View Full Version : More accurate Torp solutions?

AJ!
01-27-07, 08:59 AM
Anyone hope the Weapon officers torpedo solutions will be more accurate this time? :hmm:

Might just be me but i find half the time in SH3 the solution plotted out by the Weapons officer will fail, even if im at a good angle and the target in unaware of the U-boats presense

Threadfin
01-27-07, 10:19 AM
Sorry, but not me. I think of weapon's officer solutions in SH3 as laser solutions of doom. I don't doubt what you see, but in the time I used the weapon's officer for solutions when first starting out, I found them way too accurate, as in never miss.

I always wanted the WO solutions to have some error, ideally tied to the WO's experience level and the amount of time given to solve it.

Soon enough I went to full manual, and hit over 90% even with that.

I think WO solutions in SH3 are arcade point and shoot targeting with zero error.

That said, the US TDC was much more complete than what was on the German boats, and targeting as a whole should be more in line with the WO method in SH3 (except in S-boats). The skipper in a US fleet boat should have 3 basic responsibilities in attacks (not counting conning the boat).

1. Choose target
2. Call AoB and mast height
3. Call 'marks'

If no radar, then stadimeter will be used for range.

Marks are periodic position inputs. At intervals, the periscope is raised and centered on the target and a mark is called. Each mark is input for relative target position for plotting the target. I really hope you can do marks in SH4.

The US TDC will use inputs from radar, periscope, and sound bearings to compute the picture. It's much more automated than the German TDC. When everything 'checks', you can be assured of having a reasoanble solution.

It will be very interesting to see how closely SH4 targeting matches the procedures and methods of a real US boat attack party.

Sailor Steve
01-27-07, 11:17 AM
I agree with Treadfin: I think the current SHIII Weapons Officer solutions are way too accurate and happen way too fast. I would like to see him take a little time and be wrong occassionally. I miss when using him, but it's usually when I take too long to fire or I'm too close-not too close for the torpedo to arm but the target is moving rapidly across my bow and the angle changes too quickly.

Safe-Keeper
01-27-07, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a good realism option, if you ask me. Perfect solutions (the one in SHIII), realistic solutions (takes a realistic amount of time, has a realistic error rate, and depends on conditions such as experience, visibility, etc.), and manual.

Iron Budokan
01-27-07, 11:52 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't want the WO solutions to be instantaneous either, or laser accurate. I noticed when you start off with a green WO he can't hit the side of a barn. Give the guy one patrol and a piece of junk medal and suddenly he's a sniper who can hit a patrol boat over the horizon. A little more realisim (er, immersion) would be nice for SH4.

AJ!
01-27-07, 12:22 PM
Yeah he does seem to be able to come up with solutions in an instant...... would be nice to have a animation for the WO as hes drawing up the specs on the map for the solution.

One problem i do find is the WOs dont take the angle into concideration. He seems to have no problem fireing strait into the side of a ship despite the obvious fact it will bounce off the hull.... Maybe the SH4 WO could give you his views on what success rate he feels the solution has :hmm: