PDA

View Full Version : Zzzzz....[snore].....

Chief of the Boat
01-14-07, 06:59 PM
Then I woke up and found I was STILL trying to solve what I had been trying to do in that [bleep] Nuke Boat.

'Up to your neck in Nazi's... and somebody throws a bucket of Nuke Boat at your head' [obvious paraphrase..]

"COME ON.... SILENT HUNTER FOUR !!"

Reminds me of the Eight Ball player trying to stay awake at a Billiards match.

"Come **ON** SH4" ..... Save me from a nodding death in Nukes.... Do I have to torch off my F/A-18 again this soon ?

Maybe it's time to re-watch my World Cup 2006 tapes... Snow is still on and I gotta do SOMETHING.. to keep my marble rolling straight !

COB

TwistedFemur
01-14-07, 07:28 PM
your in for a long spring

Chief of the Boat
01-14-07, 08:08 PM
Man. I hope not. I sent the Supply Officer to get SH4... with FIVE (5) cans of coffee! [The standard 'bribe' currency for Come-Shaw...]

Watching paint dry is more exciting than that Nuke Boat Game...

COB

Torplexed
01-14-07, 09:52 PM
Seems modern undersea warfare leaves something to desired.....like perhaps a modern undersea war to be based on?! That's my biggest beef with them. With a few tiny exceptions the back story is always hypothetical or based on some well-known work of fiction.

Chief of the Boat
01-14-07, 10:43 PM
Yup... I've watched the boomers go by, from the Hood Canal Bridge... LOTs of 'boat' there. I know a few of the squids... 'dive', go on Zulu time... come up 'X' days later.
Some life....

Schatten
01-14-07, 11:55 PM
Seems modern undersea warfare leaves something to desired.....like perhaps a modern undersea war to be based on?! That's my biggest beef with them. With a few tiny exceptions the back story is always hypothetical or based on some well-known work of fiction.

That's my problem with modern sub sims as well. Everything has to be hypothetical and except for my ancient C-64 Red Storm Rising game none of the ones I've played have had an interesting enough scenario/backstory to go along with them.

Torplexed
01-15-07, 12:18 AM
Yeah...it's kinda ironic. If World War Two had never transpired, doubtless it would have been a wonderful thing for the human race. But I doubt a software developer sixty to seventy years later would be too interested in creating simulations based on what those subs/tanks/planes might have done if employed in war all those years ago. It's the combat history that piques the interest. (Plus, they probably would have gotten it wrong). :D

Schatten
01-15-07, 12:44 AM
Yeah...it's kinda ironic. If World War Two had never transpired, doubtless it would have been a wonderful thing for the human race. But I doubt a software developer sixty to seventy years later would be too interested in creating simulations based on what those subs/tanks/planes might have done if employed in war all those years ago. It's the combat history that piques the interest. (Plus, they probably would have gotten it wrong). :D

Yeah pretty much, I mean when have you ever seen a combat flight sim about the interwar aircraft for example? If there isn't a war then the war machines of an era aren't likely to be given much simulation attention.

Personally I'd love to be able to fly some combat missions in an OU-2 Corsair but unless someone makes a Banana Wars sim it just ain't gonna happen. There is some sim action for the planes of the '50-'70s with Strike Fighters, but again they're all hypothetical wars and of more recent memory. In 30 years I doubt there'll be much interest in Starfighters and Furies either.

Definately see your point.

TwistedFemur
01-15-07, 06:05 AM

If it wasnt for WW2 the TRS-80 (http://www.trs-80.com/) would be state of the art today.(I am saying that computer technology would be at least 20-30 years behind)

Takeda Shingen
01-15-07, 06:45 AM
I like modern subsims. They are intricate, and complicated. Much more like chess than WWII sims.

Chief of the Boat
01-15-07, 08:59 AM
Chess... Yeah, that's exactly what I mean... 'Thinking Man's Game'. Which, may be the exactly correct Gaming Challenge for a better 'gamer' than me. *I* feel 'stuck', awaiting The Blue Pacific !

TDK1044
01-15-07, 11:42 AM
All good thing come to those who snore!

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/4072/logo.jpg

Takeda Shingen
01-15-07, 12:38 PM
Chess... Yeah, that's exactly what I mean... 'Thinking Man's Game'. Which, may be the exactly correct Gaming Challenge for a better 'gamer' than me. *I* feel 'stuck', awaiting The Blue Pacific !

No one forces you to play a modern sim. If it causes you physical or mental distress, try doing something else. Take a walk, ride a bike, read a book.

Chief of the Boat
01-15-07, 12:55 PM
Oh... I know. I'm just sorta lamenting my own failings at liking the 'detail' of DW, while announcing my eagerness for SH4........ hopefully in a slightly entertaining manner. Notice... it's MY failing, NOT DW or anything about it... I guess I could go out and shovel snow... Naaaaa..... Maybe sip three or four Heineken's, click my heels, and man the Sea Bridge of that Type II... It may come to that...

Iron Budokan
01-15-07, 01:10 PM
I've always been surprised a game hasn't been modeled on the Korean War and MiG Alley and all that. I always thought that would be cool. Bridges at Toko Ri kind of thing. Oh, well.

And I share some of your sentiments about DW. I like it well enough, and I've learned a heck of a lot about modern naval warfare after buying it. But it can be a snoozer, imo, thanks to the "fantasy" missions involved rather than using history as a model. History, that is, in the form of a war like WWII. I like the subs in DW okay enough, I guess, though they are uber powerful.

*Yawn* Yep, I'm waiting on SH4 too.... :lol:

Chief of the Boat
01-15-07, 01:19 PM
There you go... My only lingering doubt is...'I wonder if the Whiz-Kids that developed GW, GWX, etc... will be willing, or able, to do as well for SH4?' Maybe it wont need any. Whole different operational routine in the Pacific Theater. 'Out where the brown eyed bronze skinned beauties bathe upon the balmy beaches...'

Yo... San Miguel...

Threadfin
01-15-07, 01:42 PM
I've always been surprised a game hasn't been modeled on the Korean War and MiG Alley and all that. I always thought that would be cool. Bridges at Toko Ri kind of thing. Oh, well.

There is a flight sim called MiG Alley, released in '99 IIRC.

Iron Budokan
01-15-07, 02:11 PM
Thanks, just goes to show you I wasn't paying attention. :)

don1reed
01-16-07, 08:29 AM
Being a child of the 40's, I still remember San Francisco Bay chock full of Navy ships of all descriptions. I remember waving at them as they passed beneath the Golden Gate bridge into harms way. My mother (g-d bless her soul) moved us West with the flow of the work force to help build the war machine that eventually won that dang, terrible thing.

My turn came and passed with yet other wars...it doesn't end.

I agree with, paraphrasing author, Kurt Vonnegut--Hollywood, is the enemy for making "war" seem so respectable.

Cheers,

Kapitan_Phillips
01-16-07, 03:25 PM
Then I woke up and found I was STILL trying to solve what I had been trying to do in that [bleep] Nuke Boat.

'Up to your neck in Nazi's... and somebody throws a bucket of Nuke Boat at your head' [obvious paraphrase..]

"Come **ON** SH4" ..... Save me from a nodding death in Nukes.... Do I have to torch off my F/A-18 again this soon ?

Maybe it's time to re-watch my World Cup 2006 tapes... Snow is still on and I gotta do SOMETHING.. to keep my marble rolling straight !

COB

Am I the only one who didnt understand a word of that? :doh:

Sailor Steve
01-16-07, 04:24 PM
No.

Another there is.

Threadfin
01-16-07, 04:52 PM

COB

Am I the only one who didnt understand a word of that? :doh:

I'll give it a shot.

I'm playing DW and not quite sure what's going on.

Was playing SH3, but then DW came along, what's a fella to do?

Can't wait for SH4 when I'll be in my element

With DW I'm bored as I just don't care about it

Please SH4, I don't want to have to fire up DW again, please save me by being released now!

With all the snow on the ground I have to do something, maybe watch some football to maintain my sanity while waiting for SH4

How's that?

Chief of the Boat
01-16-07, 05:48 PM
That Ensign must have been a Petty Officer that went to O.C.S. He seems to understand the life of The Boys in Blue. As opposed to our Captain. Those academy guys never DO get it ! That's why we in the Chief's Quarters have to run the boat!

Or.... In Real Life... I just had a boring weekend here, looking out at snow and not much to do. Since this Forum seems sort of like a Wish Book awaiting Admiral Uibsoft to deliver the goods, I didn't think it out of line to do my part to 'entertain'. It IS the truth that for my ever-feebling mind, DW is more than I enjoy messing with. AND... I still have a helluva time lining up a shot on a Brit ship. Maybe I too recently saw that episode of Victory at Sea... I dunno.

[Back into character]... So, when I get in off liberty today and find my Skipper doesn't get what his poor old COB is talking about, I race out to the shore-side land-line and get on the horn to an old chief I know in Personel, who is going to get me a set of TDY orders to RONALD REAGAN... where I can watch Night Flight Ops until old Ubi gets OUR ComSubPac up and running...

COB

Schatten
01-16-07, 05:58 PM
I know what you mean about the ever enfeebling mind thing COB. It's sort of how I can play WWII flight sims all day long but when I fire up something like Falcon 4.0 my eyes sort of glaze over. It's a good game but there are just too darn many buttons and widgets for me to be bothered with.

:arrgh!:

Chief of the Boat
01-16-07, 06:11 PM
Heh-heh... *I* suckered into buying a Cougar.. a few years ago, when I first got into the F/A-18. That thing's buttons and levers were much harder to learn than the keyboard commands and I was tickled pink when some guy paid me almost what I gave for it !!! I never tried F 4.0. I guess there's too much 'salt' on my hide. I *did* finally throw in the towel though and got a full sized pair of glasses about the speed of the mid-range of my Tri-Focals. That helped a lot... Great fun... and... You Bet.. I'm looking forward to seeing how well Adm. Ubi models those West Pac 'things'...

geetrue
01-16-07, 09:00 PM
Added up my collection of WWII PC games ...
Comes to about $400, but they sure were a lot of fun.

Then I got to thinking ... What would I have done with the money
anyway?

Probably spent it on hardware or who knows what ...

If I had of spent it on hardware ... the hardware would be out of date
by now and ebay and I are no friends.

So I am quite happy with my used collection of WWII sim games ...

It's just that I need another one and not just any WWII game either
I want this one ... Come on Silent Hunter IV ...

I just want to sink some japs :rock:

Chief of the Boat
01-16-07, 09:05 PM
Yeah !!! You know... if you had really thought about that 400 beaverskins, you could have spent THREE HUNDRED on Wine, Women, and Song... and WASTED the rest ?

I really liked Jane's WW2F when I had my '98SE / V5 machine with Force Feedback. Ah, I love the rattle of ' .50's ' in the morning....[ sorry, Bob]

Chief of the Boat
01-16-07, 09:06 PM
P.S. Any pictures of TRIGGER anywhere ???

geetrue
01-16-07, 10:07 PM
I have this one, but they sort of look alike ...
so I used the USS Growler SS-215
for the Trigger ...

I've been trying to put the jacket patch with the picture for
a signature, but I'm a slow learner ...
All I have is MS Photo Draw.

http://theworldwideweather.com/PhotoDraw12.jpg

Chief of the Boat
01-16-07, 10:17 PM
I'm sure they came out of the same mold.... Electric Boat, Groton, Connecticut. In the Real World I've never set foot on one, but I did retire from the Surface Fleet. I knew some of the WAHOO history, and found my picture on the Navy Picture Gallery page.

'Got all Gung-Ho from this game/forum and dug out 'Full Fathom Five'... one of the Victory at Sea episodes... I guess I'd have to say none of these things is 'beautiful', but all these WW2 boats are nicer to look at than the 'modern' ones home ported near here... of which I've seen many. Had to chuckle though, in the 1952 TV presentation they didn't show/report ONE 'dud' torpedo.. which I understand there were many.

COB