01-04-07, 06:50 PM
Combatsim (http://combatsim.com/) has the first view of the SH4 box art

IRONxMortlock
01-04-07, 07:36 PM
Combatsim (http://combatsim.com/) has the first view of the SH4 box art

Ewwww....

It's one of those gaudy action pics. :down:
________
Decameron live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Decameron)

AG124
01-04-07, 10:10 PM
I don't really like it either.:-? Something dark and foreboding (and submerged) would have been better, IMO.

nightdagger
01-04-07, 10:12 PM
I really don't care as long as it's in my grubby little hands ASAP.

Subnuts
01-04-07, 10:17 PM
Silent Hunter IV: Seas of Napalm!

AG124
01-04-07, 11:05 PM

Well, no matter what it looks like, I will buy it anyway.:yep: But I still don't like it too much.

Onkel Neal
01-04-07, 11:26 PM
Sorry, I was a little slow on the draw today.

The Dev Diary #3 can be viewed here. (http://www.subsim.com/sh4/SH4_Dev_Diary_3.wmv)

_Seth_
01-05-07, 12:00 AM
Sorry, I was a little slow on the draw today.

The Dev Diary #3 can be viewed here. (http://www.subsim.com/sh4/SH4_Dev_Diary_3.wmv)
My god, there are soldiers on the deck...:o:o:o:o:o This is getting better and better!!!!

Syxx_Killer
01-05-07, 12:03 AM
Is it March yet? Is it March yet? Is it March yet? :doh::rotfl:

IRONxMortlock
01-05-07, 12:21 AM
I don't really like it either.:-? Something dark and foreboding (and submerged) would have been better, IMO.
Yep, I think a very, very, very dark green (almost black) background with a kind of watery texture and then simply the view of a nice Japanese warship in the scope in the center and the Silent Hunter 4 banner at the top.

Like many here though, they could package this game in a mound of human faeces and not only would I still buy it, I'd dig through the steaming pile with my bare hands and then lick the DVD clean.:yep:

Well maybe I wouldn't quite go that far...

I'd happily extract it with chopsticks and then just wipe it down with a cloth though.:p
________
Teen girl live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/teen-girls/)

HundertzehnGustav
01-05-07, 06:29 AM
no sh it i am finally HUNTING ENEMIESnot sinking their ships only

Gezoes
01-05-07, 10:32 AM
Nice movie! Looks very promising!

Except I really don't like the interface down left. Looks very 1996. I hoped they'd retain the SH3 buttons. Those have style :D

Sulikate
01-05-07, 10:42 AM
no sh it i am finally HUNTING ENEMIESnot sinking their ships only
Agreed:yep:

Sailor Steve
01-05-07, 11:28 AM
I bought SH3 in March 2005. I took it out of the box and put it in my DVD tray. I haven't looked at the box art since.

Thanks for the link, Neal. It's looking better and better.

Yes, those are soldiers, in field pack and full combat gear. It looks like an insertion mission. I hope it's in the game and not just there to make us drool.

As for the interface, it doesn't look so bad, just a little different. I'm sure it will be no time at all before modders have turned them all into slideouts, and FLBSale U-999 has made another big-dial "simfeeling mod".

Safe-Keeper
01-05-07, 02:58 PM
Big apology to the arts department, but the box arts looks way too arcade-ish and even pretty generic. A mysterious, spooky atmosphere would've been better for it, ask you me.

I bought SH3 in March 2005. I took it out of the box and put it in my DVD tray. I haven't looked at the box art since.But it still is one of the first impressions of many people. Box art does matter.

WilhelmSchulz.
01-05-07, 03:22 PM
Maby the artwork on the cover of this book?
http://www.ijn.dreamhost.com/Reference/Images%20-%20Reference/Historical/Large/Thunder%20Below.jpg

rodan54
01-05-07, 05:34 PM
the box arts looks way too arcade-ish and even pretty generic. But it still is one of the first impressions of many people. I'm sure thats exactly the reason the box art is the way it is. Remember that the hardcore subsim enthusiests crowd constitutes a fraction of the overall gamer populace.

So Ubisoft in all likeliness drew up that perticular box art to attract a more casual gamer crowd, and in turn expand the SH fanbase. And these casual gamers will walk in to their nearest game retailer and see this fancy box art with exploisions, torpedoes, and airplanes galore and think "WOW! This looks pretty cool, maybe I should give it a try."

While us (the majority of the hardcore crowd) wont worry about it, since we know exactly what to expect from the game. And as Sailor Steve already said most of us just tossed the SHIII box of in some desk corner to collect dust after installing.

Biggles
01-05-07, 08:18 PM
The crew is Romanian? I was wondering about that dialect on the video-updates....

TwistedFemur
01-05-07, 08:54 PM

Double dog Ditto

mookiemookie
01-05-07, 09:08 PM
Who cares what the box art looks like? Like Sailor Steve said, once you take it out of the box, you toss it away anyways.

Eagerly awaiting this. :rock:

AG124
01-05-07, 10:47 PM
Actually, I always keep my game boxes.:o But I'm probably the only one. I even stil have the slipcover that covered the plastic case of SHIII.:smug:

Syxx_Killer
01-05-07, 11:35 PM
I don't know, but I actually kind of like the SH4 box. Anyway, I keep everything including the receipt/invoice to my stuff.:88)

Schatten
01-06-07, 12:04 AM
Actually, I always keep my game boxes.:o But I'm probably the only one. I even stil have the slipcover that covered the plastic case of SHIII.:smug:

Heck I still have my Red Storm Rising box from the old C-64 days. I'm strange like that too. :rotfl:

mookiemookie
01-06-07, 01:37 AM
Heh...I guess it shows that I live in a tiny apartment and space is at a premium! I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather them spend their time on what's inside the box, rather than what's on the outside.

Sea Wolf
01-06-07, 02:11 AM
That's not nice, it's too full of action. It should be dark and stealthy. Perhaps you could see a sub half submerged in the shadows.

Safe-Keeper
01-06-07, 08:36 AM
So Ubisoft in all likeliness drew up that perticular box art to attract a more casual gamer crowd, and in turn expand the SH fanbase. And these casual gamers will walk in to their nearest game retailer and see this fancy box art with exploisions, torpedoes, and airplanes galore and think "WOW! This looks pretty cool, maybe I should give it a try."

While us (the majority of the hardcore crowd) wont worry about it, since we know exactly what to expect from the game.Exactly. The arcade players will buy it, play it and go "WTF!!11 O n03z, teh realizm 1 muzt warzh mah h4ndz&eyez 1n azid f0r tuchin diz abomination" (not that most CS-style arcade lovers can spell "abomination"), while the realism lovers will walk right past it in the stores (and a lot of sim players won't know what to expect from it).

And as Sailor Steve already said most of us just tossed the SHIII box of in some desk corner to collect dust after installing.No one said otherwise.

Pants
01-06-07, 09:15 AM
TBH i don't care either way what the box looks like, It's the game and how that plays/Looks and the content, That is the more important to me IMO:hmm:

Sulikate
01-06-07, 09:18 AM
Me too:arrgh!:

The Noob
01-06-07, 11:17 AM
I only keep the boxes of the games i like. For example Counter-Strike, SH3, n stuff.

AG124
01-06-07, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess I'm not the only one who keeps the boxes after all.:doh::D

Sailor Steve
01-06-07, 11:21 AM
From reactions so far, you're hardly the only one. I have all the stuff from every game I own. I just don't look at them very much.

Iron Budokan
01-07-07, 11:51 AM
Yes, what heresy is this? Throw away the box?! I always keep mine. :p

Brag
01-07-07, 11:58 AM
:cry: I've lost my SH II box