PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter IV education, please

SeniorSpan
01-04-07, 05:54 PM
G'day,

Being an old salt, I was/am a fan of the original Silent Hunter sim; however, when Ubisoft took over from SSI and changed the playing field to the wolfpack only I was somewhat disappointed and told Ubisoft so in so many words. I received a reply from Ubisoft basicly saying "our game now, our rules". I played the DOS based SH til XP took over the world and running a DOS base game became fruitless on an XP machine.
Because of that I know little of SH II, SH III, and now SH IV.

I recently dumbed on to this site and have been reading through the SH4 thread, great info I might add. Am I reading this correct, SH4 will give the player the option to be a sub commander from one of several different nations?

Thx

John Channing
01-04-07, 06:27 PM
G'day,

Being an old salt, I was/am a fan of the original Silent Hunter sim; however, when Ubisoft took over from SSI and changed the playing field to the wolfpack only I was somewhat disappointed and told Ubisoft so in so many words. I received a reply from Ubisoft basicly saying "our game now, our rules". I played the DOS based SH til XP took over the world and running a DOS base game became fruitless on an XP machine.
Because of that I know little of SH II, SH III, and now SH IV.

I recently dumbed on to this site and have been reading through the SH4 thread, great info I might add. Am I reading this correct, SH4 will give the player the option to be a sub commander from one of several different nations?

Thx

Welcome aboard!

Sh4 will be US Subs in the Pacific only... just like the classic Silent Hunter.

JCC

SeniorSpan
01-04-07, 06:41 PM
Most excellent, thx much for the reply.

Cheers

IRONxMortlock
01-04-07, 07:39 PM
And you should really get yourself SH3, download the patch and GWX and get playing! Don't let any animosity towards ubisoft disuade you, if you like sub sims, SH3 is a great game and well worth the money.
________
SquirtyHoney cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SquirtyHoney)

Chief of the Boat
01-04-07, 10:53 PM
'IRON' is right... **IF** you can bring yourself to put fish into Brit and U.S. ships. SH3 is truly a marvel, beautiful...; especially patched to GWX.

I, however, am 'on leave' from WW2 Boats until WestPac U.S. boats are available in SH4..........

COB

SeniorSpan
01-05-07, 12:36 AM
IRONxMortlock and Chief of the Boat,

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. I will tell you I've wanted to "jump in" but I'm old enough and have been to too many places in Hawaii, England, Europe, Australia and New Zealand to bring myself to put fish into British and U.S. ships.

I didn't/don't have any animosity towards ubisoft, but do feel and pointed out to them, they lost customers when they made it wolfpak play only.

So, like you Chief of the Boat, I too am 'on leave' from WW2 sub sims until WestPac U.S. boats are available in SH4.

Cheers

IRONxMortlock
01-05-07, 01:13 AM
IRONxMortlock and Chief of the Boat,

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. I will tell you I've wanted to "jump in" but I'm old enough and have been to too many places in Hawaii, England, Europe, Australia and New Zealand to bring myself to put fish into British and U.S. ships.

I didn't/don't have any animosity towards ubisoft, but do feel and pointed out to them, they lost customers when they made it wolfpak play only.

So, like you Chief of the Boat, I too am 'on leave' from WW2 sub sims until WestPac U.S. boats are available in SH4.

Cheers
Hehe. I've lived in Japan for the past four years but somehow putting torpedos into their ships in SH4 isn't going to bother me much.:arrgh!:

Likewise destroying Australian (my nationality) ships in SH3 doesn't concern me either. It's all just pixles in the end and no harm has been done. :p I can understand where your coming from though and perhaps we may bump into each other on an SH4 patrol in March.:ping:
________
fat woman Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/bbw/)

E.B. Fluckey
01-05-07, 09:00 AM
I find it ironic that you are ready to kill simulated Japanese sailors but have a problem with killing Allied sailors. It's a game - it's about learning how a u-boat fought and survived in WWII. It's not about beliefs and core values ;)

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-07, 09:16 AM
Well put E.B. Fluckey.

SeniorSpan
01-05-07, 10:31 AM
And there, "It's not about beliefs and core values", lies the root cause to many of the worlds problems today.

You're right, it just a game and learning how a u-boat, that fought and survived in WWII, could very well be fun and very rewarding for many, and there are some great and successful u-boat captains to emulate. But for me, I'll wait for SH4.

I appreciate your views and comments, thx

Cheers

Chief of the Boat
01-05-07, 10:42 AM
Amen, 'Senior'....I'm guessing the closer one is/has been to 'the real thing', the less one can play these games, from 'the dark side'. I remember reading where Doc Bradley, the last of the Iwo flag raisers, quietly declined his son's invitation to visit Port-War Japan. *I* would not set foot in Saigon. That all said, I certainly have no problem with Others enjoying the 'realism' of SH3. I played Jane's F/A-18 for several years, and it did not have 'the feel' like SH3 does.

Looking forward to SH4... hoping there is a 'Base' in Cavite. Maybe they modelled The Yellow Bar ?

As for learning about the actual Boat Captains, etc... Try reading 'U Boat Ace', Non-Fiction. Tough reading, but definitely the 'real thing'... unlike Das Bot, which, while the acknowledged 'best' of Boat Fiction.. IS.. fiction.

COB

Schatten
01-05-07, 11:19 AM
COB, I'm 90% sure that Cavite is modelled as one of the bases in SH IV. :up:

...I'm hoping that the local Filipino delicacies are not though. :oops:

Chief of the Boat
01-05-07, 11:22 AM
Oooooooooh ! Why not !!! But that's great to know. I may yet pop for one of those near $50 early releases....

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-07, 11:23 AM
I remember awhile back there was a post from a retired US Navy guy, he basically was thanking the game for letting him sail to New York City Harbor, he had never had a chance to do this while in the Navy.

Sailor Steve
01-05-07, 11:25 AM
Welcome aboard, SeniorSpan. I too am an old SH player, as well as an old sailor in real life. It's interesting that there are a few people who don't want to play the Germans, since a large part of the complaints have been that SH4 would be in the Pacific, rather than another u-boat game. I personally like to play both, mainly because I love ships and submarines, and am a huge fan of Das Boot, the best submarine movie ever made.

There is a program called DosBox, which lets you play Silent Hunter on a modern XP maching. Lots of folks do it.

Anyway, I understand your feelings, and I'm really looking forward to SH4 as well.

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-07, 11:27 AM
Sailor Steve are you the retired Navy guy.

Sailor Steve
01-05-07, 11:34 AM
One of many hanging around here. And I'm not really "retired", since I didn't make a career of it; I was only in for a couple of years.

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-07, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. A relative of my Wifes' was in the Canadian Navy, sailed on the Destroyer Haida, which was used in WWII. Interesting to hear him talk about being in the Atlantic Ocean.

Sailor Steve
01-05-07, 11:40 AM
Cool. I spent my time in the Pacific, part of it off Vietnam. One of my great regrets was never sailing the Atlantic. Or the Med.

Safe-Keeper
01-05-07, 02:53 PM
I made this post once that compiled all known info on SH4, but it went downhill from creation. First certain posters got the idea from somewhere that it was a thread for posting suggestions and started spamming it with ideas, and then it was... largelly ignored. Oh well.

SeniorSpan
01-05-07, 04:05 PM
Sailor Steve,

Thx for the welcome. I'll look into DosBox, but at this stage of the game and after seeing the previews of SH4, I would just as soon wait for SH4.
I believe you are correct about Das Boot, but am pretty sure life on a u-boat was ever harded that depicted.

I agree COB, "the closer one is/has been to 'the real thing', the less one can play these games", but would add, it's not a case of "can't play" for me, but rather a case of "do not want to play".

And while not being Navy, I've still been in a majority of the worlds oceans whether I wanted to be or not.. I've also lived in Japan, 400 north of Tokyo, in Misawa to be exaact, and was not sure how I was going to deal with that when I was first informed that's where I was being sent. But it worked out well; I had a great time and would go back again. Also, thx for the book recommendations.

And like you COB, I can see myself popping for one of those near $50 early releases...

Cheers

LeafsFan
01-05-07, 04:39 PM
I know people who served in the merchant navy and were torpedoed. Doesn't bother me at all to play SH3. I did however delete Horst Wessel from my grammaphone.

HB

Chief of the Boat
01-05-07, 04:42 PM
As long as everybody has 'their' fun... the game is an Absolute Success.... 'Keep your stick on the ice.'

COB