PDA

View Full Version : Preview in German Game-Mags

AS
01-01-07, 04:31 PM
Hi everybody and a happy new year!

Iīve been away over Christmas so maybe those are old news: Two major German game magazines had a long SH4 preview. One of them dedicated an astonishing 4 pages to SH4 although subsims are certainly not considered top sellers in the world of gaming.

Whatīs more: SH4 is 27th in the German "Most Wanted Games" charts - again a surprisingly good place considering the genre.

The German mags donīt provide any real new information, but they are impressed by gameplay and graphics. Hereīs what they say:

- graphics much improved (Shader 2.0, resolution no longer limited, optional "movie" effect to make graphics look like in an old film)

- improved campaigne with more variety (but: again itīs not a real free campaign)

- whole world accessable - dev team thought about implementing SH3 traffic and ships as well, but probably wonīt do that due to lack of time BUT: it seems possible, which means free playground for modders as far as I see

Interesting note: both journalists stated that they disliked the Pacific theatre at first, but after seeing SH4 they are looking forward to playing it. So it must be quite convincing....

Cheers, AS

Factor
01-01-07, 06:05 PM
hmm, so wonder if GWX can be converted over.:hmm:

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 10:52 PM
- improved campaigne with more variety (but: again itīs not a real free campaign)

AS

That's a bummer. :down:

_Seth_
01-02-07, 01:54 AM

AS
That's a bummer. :down:
NOT DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN??? Somebody should start writing a walktrough..:rotfl:

AJ!
01-02-07, 07:03 AM
- graphics much improved (Shader 2.0, resolution no longer limited, optional "movie" effect to make graphics look like in an old film)

That would explain why some of the screenshots look duller then others. That new movie effect sounds awsome :D

LeafsFan
01-02-07, 07:05 AM
If there is no dynamic campaign, I'll not buy it.

HB

Sea Wolf
01-02-07, 08:05 AM
you know you will ;)

stabiz
01-02-07, 08:25 AM
The campain IS dynamic, guys, allready stated elsewhere.

AS
01-02-07, 11:47 AM
Could you guys please calm down again - of course the campaign is "dynamic" the sense we know it. :yep:Only technically speaking it is NOT a free generated campaign, but using historically corretctly scripted routes etc. If a warship or a convoy travelled somewhere in real life, ypouīll find it on that day in SH4 - at least thatīs what the Dev Team says.

So sorry for causing confusion:oops:.

Cheers, AS:lol:

Safe-Keeper
01-02-07, 12:16 PM
optional "movie" effect to make graphics look like in an old filmHeey, I suggested that! Somewhere in the Wish-list or suggestion thread! Good men!

(let's just be nice and say that the feature's in because I asked for it;))

The thing I'm wondering now is how easy it'd be to mod the game to let us mod a British or Dutch or whatever campaign.

Schatten
01-02-07, 01:44 PM
The thing I'm wondering now is how easy it'd be to mod the game to let us mod a British or Dutch or whatever campaign.

Probably as easy as it is in SH III since they're using the same basic building blocks. To do a Dutch or Brit sub you'd have to replace one of the US boats I imagine, but that's doable. Then you'd have to get someone who speaks Dutch and do sound recordings, get all the right medals, change flotillas (or whatever the designator will be in SH IV) etc.

I don't see why it couldn't be done, but it'd be a metric arseload of work. I'd love to see some Brit and Dutch subs though.

I'm waiting to see exactly what's in SH IV though before I start thinking about ways to spindle, fold and mod it. :D

Sea Wolf
01-02-07, 01:51 PM
I see lots of mods ahead :D

And the cinematic affect is cool aswell, presumably like the intro movie to SHIII

Iron Budokan
01-02-07, 02:59 PM
Could you guys please calm down again - of course the campaign is "dynamic" the sense we know it.

AS:lol:

LOL, c'mon, you know how we bubbleheads are! :rotfl:

LeafsFan
01-02-07, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear that the dynamic campaign is intact.

HB

Threadfin
01-02-07, 03:52 PM
When I think of a dynamic campaign, I think of, well, dynamics. That is, one thing affects another. If I destroy a supply depot, the enemy has fewer supplies. If I shoot down a few MiG-29s, the enemy has fewer MiG-29s in their inventory. An attack on a facility might result in heavier defenses there as the enemy reacts.

SH3 does not have a dynamic campaign, at least by my definition. Falcon 4, MiG Alley, Rowan's Battle of Britain, these are sims with real dynamic campaigns.

What about SH3's campaign is dynamic? Does the enemy have fewer ships as a result of your sinkings? Does the enemy re-route their ships because of your successes or presence? Is the outcome affected by what happens in the course of the campaign?

I think anytime a game is not scripted, it's like the only alternative is dynamic. I think SH3 falls somewhere in between.

Maybe SH4 will indeed have dynamic elements, I sure hope so. But I think it's going to be like SH3's, with some scripted elements added to it.