PDA

View Full Version : A.I. vessels repairing?

Safe-Keeper
12-30-06, 12:33 PM
Did it ever bother anyone else that nothing A.I. in Silent Hunter 4 ever repairs its damage? Put something on fire and it burns forever. Breach the hull of a ship and it either lists or sinks. And so on. I've never seen a fire being taken out, or any other kind of damage be repaired. I think A.I. vessels can stop flooding, but that's the extent of it.

Wouldn't it be better overall if A.I. vessels also repaired themselves over time? Not to mention doing things like balancing flooding, etc.?

JU_88
12-30-06, 03:56 PM
I just made a thread almost Identical to yours.... :D
(with out seeing yours first of course)

Heh, "great minds think alike" and all that :smug:

So er...... bump.

Schatten
12-30-06, 04:13 PM
I saw both threads and didn't know which one to post on, so since you posted here too JU-88 I'll go with this one as well.

I'd definately like to see more damage control as well, especially on warships. I mean the Yamato had in the region of 1,200 honeycombed watertight compartments and it'd be a disappointment to be able to blow her out of the water with the same number of torpedos that are needed to take out a BB in SH III. Capital ships were designed to be very hard to sink both structurally through the compartmentilzation and torpedo belt, as well as the advanced damage control measures that were used by their crews.

JU_88
12-30-06, 05:58 PM
One thing missing from SH3 - if you attack a vessel and it burns, the fire never spreads though out the ship to destoy it, it would be nice if there was a random element simulating fire spreading though a ship, or being extinguished by the crew if its minor.
probably a too tall an order for SHIV. :hmm:

U-104
12-30-06, 06:13 PM
it was in SH2 why not SH4.:hmm:

Oesten
12-31-06, 04:56 PM
In real life, the battleship Fuso was hit by two torpedoes from a US destroyer, caught fire, lost speed, turned back............and half an hour later suffered a catastrophic magazine explosion that blew the ship completely in half!

See: http://www.combinedfleet.com/atully06.htm

Now if there was a chance of that happening to a BB in SH4, that would be great!