PDA

View Full Version : viTivi video interview with Emil Gheorge (SH4 devteam)

Sonarman
12-21-06, 07:33 PM
Don't recall seeing it mentioned here but there is a recent interview with Devteam member Emil Gheorge over at
http://www.vitivi.tv/show_video.php?var=6404;wmv;0;0;681;10;0

Tigrone
12-22-06, 02:57 PM
He was very specific in saying that the Dynamic Campaign was 4 years long from 1941, ending in 1944. It looks like 1945 will be playable only in Single Missions. I understand the programming reasons, but I am disappointed.

Hylander_1314
12-22-06, 04:51 PM
Don't forget that America didn't enter the war until Dec. 8th 1941, so 4 years would take your into 1945. If the campaign ended in '44, it would only give you 3 years of campaigning. Even though the IJN was all but oblitered by then, there is still the island invasions of '45, like Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. So there is still the pilot rescue missions, and picket duty for those operations. Seeing those huge USN Taskforces would be cool.

Agrippa
12-22-06, 07:57 PM
very dissapointed that the campaign only goes through 44. There were still Japanese convoys trying to get raw materials to the home islands, particularly in early 45. I suppose I can understand not going all the way to the end of the war (i'd rather not spend four or five patrols just rescuing pilots or on picket duty), but not including anything after 44 isn't the way to go. Consulting Clay Blair's Silent Victory (by the way--everybody who is seriously interested in the sub war of WWII should buy his books. Right now), it seems there was still worthwhile hunting for submarines at least through April, although subs kept claiming kills through August. A campaign that ended in March, April, or May 45 would be fine.

Also to keep in mind, eight U.S. subs were lost in action in 1945, including the USS Bullhead, lost on August 6th.

Syxx_Killer
12-22-06, 08:21 PM
Like Hylander said, it was mentioned in the interview that the campaign is 4 years long. The US didn't enter the war until '41, so how can we keep ending up with an end date of '44?

peterloo
12-22-06, 10:02 PM
Don't mind that dynamic campaign ends in 1944... Modders can help us to extend the service to August 1945, when Japanese surrendered

Like SH3, SH4 should be able to be modded freely (except the main engine, where SecuRom protection lies)

Just like sh3, originally, we can only start the service in 1939-1943, but modders break this limit so that with sh3 commander, you can own a type XXI in 1st patrol in 1944! with the aid of mods

Ubisoft takes care of the game engine
Modder takes care of other imgame play

_Seth_
12-22-06, 10:12 PM
Here is a youtube link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SDYTH6oc1Y

Schatten
12-22-06, 11:01 PM
Don't mind that dynamic campaign ends in 1944... Modders can help us to extend the service to August 1945, when Japanese surrendered

Like SH3, SH4 should be able to be modded freely (except the main engine, where SecuRom protection lies)

Just like sh3, originally, we can only start the service in 1939-1943, but modders break this limit so that with sh3 commander, you can own a type XXI in 1st patrol in 1944! with the aid of mods

Ubisoft takes care of the game engine
Modder takes care of other imgame play

The problem is the start and end dates for the war are hardcoded, so if the "war" in SH IV ends in late '44 then you're SOL no matter what modders try to do. If the war start and end dates were moddable you can be sure that someone would have made a mod to start earlier in '39 so you could be at sea at the outbreak of hostilities, or one that went through August if you wanted to try to get to the Pacific to help the Japanese out but that hasn't happened. So if the end of the campaign is in '44 like the interview states then that is very disappointing to me.

And likely non-moddable as well. :cry:

Jsbl
12-23-06, 04:21 AM
I can't believe the SH4 campaign would end before the war ended. What would be point in that?

Propably he just made a mistake by saying 44 instead of 45.

Safe-Keeper
12-23-06, 05:07 AM
I wish they'd be nice enough to add subtitles, as I often have a hard time understanding what people are saying in movies on the Internet even without accents. Not to mention that there are deaf people out there.

Like Hylander said, it was mentioned in the interview that the campaign is 4 years long. The US didn't enter the war until '41, so how can we keep ending up with an end date of '44?He said nearly four years in this interview.

I can't believe the SH4 campaign would end before the war ended. What would be point in that?It's been stated several times that it has to do with the fact that after '44, there was practically nothing to hunt. Remember that they're play-testing their game and as such have probably found that playing in '45 wasn't any fun.

It's interesting to note that before these interviews there were all these people who worried that the game would be too easy at the end of the campaign (read: '44 and '45). Then we learn that they've solved the problem by removing the too easy portion - and it turns out that's wrong, too. Make up your minds, people:p.

In my eyes, it's a good decision, far better than having a lackluster of a last game year with next to no enemy activity. And it means they'll save themselves some time so that the remaining parts of the game will be better. If I were in their shoes, I'd do the same thing.

The problem is the start and end dates for the war are hardcoded, so if the "war" in SH IV ends in late '44 then you're SOL no matter what modders try to do.If it was that way in Silent Hunter III, that does not neccessarily mean it's that way in Silent Hunter 4.
- - - - - - - -
Silent Hunter III was quite hard to play.Someone's never touched GWX;)!
- - - - - - - -
100% geographic accuracyIf this is what I think it is (no more blocked straits that should've been open straits, for example) it sounds very good. If it means something like scale 1:1, it sounds excellent - though I think that's too much to hope for.
- - - - - - - -
I love that they're still intending to include randomly generated special missions such as commando insertion and pilot rescue. Good job, Ubi'!

Gorduz
12-23-06, 06:58 PM
I just kept drooling over the water. I must say the graphics was superior to anything iv'e senn before.

dean_acheson
12-23-06, 07:51 PM
anyone notice in the crew management screen it looks like it says "U-Boat Aces" in the top left corner?

Charos
12-23-06, 08:07 PM
Interviewer:

"Silent hunter 3 was quite hard to play would you say that silent hunter 4 is for more casual gamers?" :roll:

I really cant see SH4 offering more in the brains department than SH3 which IMHO was severly lacking, SH4 looks like SH3 tarted up in a new evening dress.

I found SH3 on full difficulty (having not played any Sub sims before) too easy and lacking in the Sim department.

Sadly even reports of the ARMA demo are reaking of ARCADE.:cry:

Where are all the simulations gone?

Safe-Keeper
12-24-06, 08:27 AM
anyone notice in the crew management screen it looks like it says "U-Boat Aces" in the top left corner?Yup. Though I don't really understand why.

Onkel Neal
12-24-06, 10:56 AM
It's probably leftover verbage from SH3, it will be cleaned up before it is finished.

Schatten
12-24-06, 11:32 AM
Either that or that crew is so bad that they're wondering if they aren't all secretly working for the Axis... :nope:

Shaffer4
12-24-06, 03:50 PM
Nearly four years, hmm? Basically 1942 to 45, Since America only entered the war in the last month of 1941. Seems to me that this should cover the entire timeframe.

bigboywooly
12-24-06, 06:42 PM
IIRC SH3 can be extended in time length to whenever you like

Pants
12-24-06, 06:44 PM
So for agruments sake..we could have the US entering the war in 39?

bigboywooly
12-24-06, 07:08 PM
Well not sure how the files will pan out but it SHOULD just be a matter of adjusting the cfg\flotilla and defside files IF its anything like SH3
Not that I am a an expert Pants
Jaeson may know more about it

Pants
12-24-06, 07:18 PM
Ahh no worries matey, thx for the reply

Deamon
12-26-06, 04:59 PM
Sadly even reports of the ARMA demo are reaking of ARCADE.:cry:
:cry:

MY first impressions were a disapointment especialy the animations doesn't appear that real like like in OFP. It feels arcadish compared to that what i have expected. It feels more "nervouse" like all the ego shooters. Lets see if they can fix it.

mookiemookie
12-27-06, 12:16 AM
Interviewer:

"Silent hunter 3 was quite hard to play would you say that silent hunter 4 is for more casual gamers?" :roll:

Emil: "Yes"

:nope: :down:

Safe-Keeper
12-27-06, 04:24 AM
He also says it'll be 100% historically and geographically accurate. Will be interesting to see what they make of it.

And let's not forget that no matter how easy or hard a game is, someone will make at least one realism mod.

Zinmar
12-27-06, 08:17 AM
Was it my imagination or could you see inside that ship when the torp detonated?

Pants
12-27-06, 08:36 AM
Was it my imagination or could you see inside that ship when the torp detonated?
Not it wasn't your imagination mate, it's all thanks to the new damage model.:up:

Schatten
12-27-06, 11:27 AM
Yeah I really like the new damage graphics.

As far as the "arcade-ness" of SH IV if you have scaleable realism then that pretty much isn't a huge issue. I mean I could play SH III with none of the difficulty settings checked and that would make it pretty much an arcade game as well. So as long as SH IV has the same sort of realisim options that SH III did I don't think there's any reason to be too worried. And like it's been said I'd be surprised as hell if someone didn't start modding it in a GWX/NGYM/RUB sort of way in a fairly quick fashion.

I don't know what the Armed Assault full game is like but from trying out the MP demo I don't think it's all that arcade-like at all. In fact there are several things that they did that are harder to do in the game than they are in real life. Why? I do not know...

Safe-Keeper
12-27-06, 12:47 PM
In fact there are several things that they did that are harder to do in the game than they are in real life. Why? I do not know...I love that in games:rotfl:.

Try riding a bike in reality, and then give the one in GTA: San Andreas (I think) a try. Geez, what a difference.

In fact, ึsten himself said that real life was much easier than reality. So:p...

Schatten
12-27-06, 12:54 PM
Well the thing that amused me the most was not being able to move, at all, while reloading an M4. I'm not a magician or anything, in fact I can be a little clumsy from time to time, but I do have that trick down. :rotfl:

I like the game too, but there are some little things that make me go "huh" in it. :hmm:

mookiemookie
12-27-06, 07:35 PM
He also says it'll be 100% historically and geographically accurate. Will be interesting to see what they make of it.

And let's not forget that no matter how easy or hard a game is, someone will make at least one realism mod.

I know, I know. I can't very well knock a game that hasn't even been released yet. It just gave me a oogy feeling in my stomach when I heard him say that. :doh:

bill clarke
12-30-06, 05:48 PM
Hi guys, found this interesting bit of info, it's a list of all US sub kills throughout the war, should be interesting to see how much was sunk in 45.

http://www.valoratsea.com/JANAC.htm

And monthly stats.

http://www.valoratsea.com/month1.htm

Sailor Steve
12-31-06, 03:43 PM
The monthly stats page says how much was sunk in 1945...and it was a lot; slightly more ships than in 1942, slightly less tonnage.

bill clarke
12-31-06, 06:48 PM
The monthly stats page says how much was sunk in 1945...and it was a lot; slightly more ships than in 1942, slightly less tonnage.

That's right, a lot of crappy little ships under 1000 tons, that's how much thay had devistated the fleet, just sardines left, no cod ! 63 all up, including RO112, and 113.

Schatten
12-31-06, 07:50 PM
That's right, a lot of crappy little ships under 1000 tons, that's how much thay had devistated the fleet, just sardines left, no cod !

True. But hey if they enemy is reduced to moving their supplies on crappy little ships, you have to go out and sink the crappy little ships too. :D

bill clarke
12-31-06, 08:17 PM
That's right, a lot of crappy little ships under 1000 tons, that's how much thay had devistated the fleet, just sardines left, no cod !

True. But hey if they enemy is reduced to moving their supplies on crappy little ships, you have to go out and sink the crappy little ships too. :D

Couldn't agree more mate, there were also 5 ships over 10,000 tons 3 of them Tankers, I will be dissapointed if the campain comes to an end in 44.

Schatten
12-31-06, 11:54 PM
My experience with late war PTO stuff in sims has been mostly through making some missions for the Pacific Fighters squadron I'm in, and to do it right there had to be a lot of missions that weren't "sexy" like the fights over the Slot, Iwo Jima and the like but simply chasing down and strafing everything that moved in and around the Home Islands.

That's just the reality of how things actually worked during the war. Blowing away 3 sampans that are hauling rice on the Inland Sea in '45 is functionally the same as taking out one of the troop carrying Destroyers around Guadalcanal in '43, both are denying the enemy the ability to mount effective combat operations or logistical assets.

So yeah I'll be a little disappointed if we don't get to see '45 roll around as well.